Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannons, Big Guns, Monitors and Loud Bangs....  (Read 15599 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Cannons, Big Guns, Monitors and Loud Bangs....
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 11:52:38 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

farrow

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:51:51 am »

Hi Martin seems you have found most of your answers, but I belief the solid casting prefered in this country, was because it removed imperfections in the caste metal and importantly removed stress in the metal which would be built in if caste with a hollow bore.

steve pickstock

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:06:14 am »

Less imperfections in the barrel.

Cast with the bore in place meant that the casting might develop cracks or weaknesses, whereas if the barrel was a one piece casting and then bored out - it would be one homogenous block.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »

AHHhhh! I see! I was wondering why.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

olthump

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 05:20:02 pm »

:-)Hello to Martin and all members of this wonderful forum. I am a new member, and hope this post is appropriate to the topic. My experience with forums is limited, and I've certainly never found one as full of considerate, friendly folk as this one. Now to the topic...
Shortly before the film "Master and Commander" opened, I heard an interview on Public Radio with a special effects technician from the movie. It seems that the producers actually went to the trouble to locate collectors with the appropriate cannons and projectile loads, and fired them over a digitally mic'd range. They even went so far as to fire them into various targets such as oak beams, canvas sails, and allegedly, several (dead) cows. If you are able to see the film with a good sound system, the effect is truly stunning.
Once I figure out the mysteries of posting photos, I'll have a few of my Victor V-32.
Thanks again to ya'll.
Greg :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »

Topic renamed to LOUD bangs as opposed to load bangs as previously....  :embarrassed:

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 06:43:45 pm »

A solid casting has no voids for air to be trapped and less chance of fracture/weakness in pouring/moulding. Boring the gun tube later was expensive/time consuming but since bores were small in diameter relative to the bulk of the casting the finished guns were much stronger/more accuate/safer  than those guns where the bore tube was cast in situ. British gunpowder was also considered to be far more consistant/superior in quality than that of other navies. 

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »

100 ton gun on Gibraltar,

It must have been really LOUD  O0

Those eagle eyed ones will note the beard, (only grown for a documentry I was in----what we go through for art)
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 10:07:58 pm »

Come on, details of the documentary?   <*<

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 03:25:13 am »

Come on, details of the documentary?   <*<

I am guessing it was a bit 'steamy' in places.  ;D
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:31 am »

Only a little to do with this subject but what agreat read: Memoirs & Diaries: When Tank First Fought Tank.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/diaries/whentankfoughttank.htm

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »

This huge 100 ton gun looks like one of Messrs. Arstrong's early products from their Elswick Works on Tyneside. If I remember correctly - they were very successfully used in the Crimean War during the Siege of Sebastapol - shipped in  to devastate those defences . This family and other manufacurer's on the river Tyne ( Parsons - steam turbine) dominated/revolutionised early warship design and supplied their products to other navies of the world.
Martin's link give's a vivid record - real/immediate experience of that first tank battle - heroic men in horrific circumstances.  Well worth a look. :-))

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »

Martin
Re; Tank vis. Tank  :-)) :-))
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

100 ton gun on Gibraltar,

It must have been really LOUD  O0

Those eagle eyed ones will note the beard, (only grown for a documentry I was in----what we go through for art)

Found this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3KcLu6_TLE&feature=related

steve pickstock

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:39 am »

That is a  big b*gger, init? One of them bricks could really spoil your day.

Nice pyro though, gives a good idea of what it could do.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »

There's a lot of interesting info on these guns  on Wickipedia, type 'RML 17.72 Gun'. This gun fired a 910kg projectile (3 types) and at maximum power  required 255kg of propellant This max charge limit was reduced to 204 kg of propellant after one  gun barrel cracked.  :o
BTW. Since the British government only purchased 4 (2-Gibralter "+ 2-Malta sited in forts) this gun type could'nt have been at Sebastopol.
Armstrong gifted his early rifled,breech loading field gun (No. 1) design patent to the British government and was himself 'elevated' thereafter for his generosity. 'Lord Arstrong' was  soon producing far more powerful breech loading designs in his Elswick Ordnance Works.  An elderly friend's father was a foreman in these famous Works and he was bodily 'thrown' across the 'test shop' in an accident (failure of the hp test gear  :o ,) luckily, he survived without serious injury.  :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 01:56:13 pm »

Not sure if I've posted this before......

Definitions and Information about Naval Guns - http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm

Albion

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 05:56:24 am »

Interesting to see this thread at the top again, i recently watched a show called ancient discoveries, history channel I think. They try and prove various bits of history, by making modern replicas. The show the other week was about guns in general, and started with a chinese device using bamboo, wrapped with binding that made a quite effective flame thrower / come shot gun. Anyway the fun part was someone had cast a replica of Roaring Meg, complete with imperfections to try and see whter it could lob shot over a castle wall, which it did with a bit of fine tuning. They also touched on the fact that the Ottomans developed an early tracer shell for their cannon, so they could continue firing all night, and see what they were hitting. Firing at night, being beneficial because it was cooler and they could get more rounds off.

Carrry on

steve pickstock

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:02 am »

I love these programmes.

"We're going to rediscover such and such!"
They always give out the air of 'we're not sure how they did it (because obviously they were less sophisticated than we were, and we have much better technology so they were probably lying when they said they did this'.

I found it with Time Team when I worked on one of theirs buiding gabions. After we had fired a 2" ball from 25m into them and they had stopped it, Phil Harding said "OH! It worked!"
I wanted to say "Well of course it worked - these things were in use for nearly 800 years (even today they use galvanised steel mesh gabions, but filled with rocks in Afghanistan)."

I watched another one on a reconstruction of an Egyptian vessel from the time of Queen Nefertiti. The academics argued for days about the way the mast was stepped on the deck - basically the pictures and existing evidence 'couldn't be right'. Until they took a walk down to the local harbour and found the same arrangement still in use.

I just wish they would give people a bit of credit, for having the brains to do stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.