Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting help with machining  (Read 2283 times)

bogstandard

Getting help with machining
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:12:33 am »

I don't think this belongs in the traders section, as I don't consider myself a trader. But Colin can move it to wherever he sees fit.

I am the model engineer who helps Richard (Bunkerbarge) out sometimes, to make those impossible to get hold of parts.

I do it mainly for the challenge and to help out fellow modellers. I have been there, and know just how frustrating it can be getting that certain piece machined up or modified to your own specifications.

I am not interested in custom prop shafts or thousands of 5 ball handrails, people can get them done by artisans who's livelyhood depends on it.

But I am willing to take on the challenge of most other things, especially steam related. If you have a broken steam engine, and if you have the drawings, or a good or damaged part as a sample, I can most probably make the part for you. To get you on the water again.

Almost any one off's (or maybe just a few) I can most probably help you out with.

I am not a commercial enterprise, but also I am not a charity, so costs to keep the workshop turning over and material and postage costs have to be taken into account. You will soon realise that with average costs in a commercial workshop costing well over £50 per hour, or part of, then my lowly donation scheme can put your parts within reach.

I am partially disabled, so sometimes things can take a little longer than normal, as it depends on my health at the time. But normally I can get most small items turned around in a couple of days. If it is going to take longer, I will tell you. If I don't have the raw materials in stock, it can sometimes take a couple of weeks to get it delivered.

This is a top end restoration I am doing on a gents model steam engine, who gave me permission to use it in a post on a site I frequent. Just to show the sort of things I can make and do.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1054.0

It is in fact a lot further on now, and I haven't done the final post, but I am hoping to have it ready to go back to the owner tomorrow.

So if you do need help, don't be afraid to send me an email or PM. I gave up eating fellow modellers years ago.

Bogs

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Getting help with machining
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:17:43 pm »

Having heard my name being mentioned I obviously have to add my piece here.

I've known John  for a couple of years now and I try to get over to see him at least once during a leave.  We usually end up chewing the fat, bemoaning the state of the country and engineering in general and we have a good play with what ever engines we have to hand at the time.  I have turned to John on a number of occassions to help out with those sort of jobs that really set your model apart because no-one else has been able to come up with the same solution.  He has made a couple of one-off items in brass for me, which are invariably absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to simply look at never mind fit them to the model.  He has also provided great feedback on ideas I have been playing around with myself when I was originally asking him to do something and I have ended up making a much simpler solution myself.

He is a great mentor, a great friend, an amazing model engineer and a wealth of experience and expertise.  If he is happy to put this at your disposal then grab his hand off, you won't regret it, and you will end up with a small part of your model that is unique and helps it to do something just that little bit better than any one elses.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

hopeitfloats

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:44:40 pm »

just finished reading your engine overhaul thread. its a beautiful engine all right and a very professional job overhauling it.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:57:29 pm »

Hi...just to clarify....'bogstandard' is also the same manufacturing engineer of many little brass bits.....for my build of PS Decoy here in OZ .......over the past years .....

For UK customers .....a few Kg's of beef bones in with your Drawing request  may help........ Derek  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.