Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: G.J. Valiquette - Great Lakes bulker- 1/96 scale  (Read 27978 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: G.J. Valiquette - Great Lakes bulker- 1/96 scale
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 09:37:30 am »

I have a number of photos of the William A. Irvin that I took in Duluth last year. There are various deck and fittings shots, stateroom, and wheel house interior shots. If you're interested I can post them here, or send me a PM and I  can send them to you directly.

John

ZZ56

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 09:01:05 pm »

I have a number of photos of the William A. Irvin that I took in Duluth last year. There are various deck and fittings shots, stateroom, and wheel house interior shots. If you're interested I can post them here, or send me a PM and I  can send them to you directly.

John

Thanks!  Could you post some of the deck fittings?  The plans i have show positions but not details of the fittings.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 03:21:39 am »

William A.Irvin photos:

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 03:22:59 am »

fantail:

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 03:24:21 am »

these winches are just in front of the aft deck house:

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 03:26:36 am »

wheel house interior, and walkway along side the aft deck house:

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2009, 03:30:23 am »

telescoping hatch cover and stack:

ZZ56

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 05:05:55 am »

Thanks so much.  The winch details are especially helpful; when it comes time, i'll have two mooring winches to make for the spar deck

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »

Here are a few more pics of winches from Port Colborne scrap yard. This yard, at the head of the of the Welland Canal, scraps lakers. They have a tremendous collection of stuff, all for sale.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »

steam winches:

ZZ56

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 05:11:32 am »

Can't wait to be working on the detail fittings.  That's the easiest part- no power tools or sawhorses needed.

Right now i just got the last of the wood i'll need for planking, so i can finish that.  And i made a rudder that can be removed without disturbing the bottom bracket.

ronkh

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 02:33:23 am »

Looking very nice with some neat frame work and planking.
More updates and photos soon please?

Ron.

ZZ56

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 08:18:31 am »

Updates and photos soon- working on the midsection now, which is a rather 'boring' looking thing, so i will take photos when it's all done before the decks go on.  Also spent a long time fiddling with the driveshaft, but at least it seems to work smoothly and quietly.

nhp651

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 09:49:45 am »

zz56........that is a wonderful and very "nostalgic" model .'as a kid, living in the UK I was always fascinated by these long and graceful vessels.
She will look beautiful when finished(as the workmanship does now).
Have you considered pulling a GRP mould and mouldings from her before you start adding rudder stock and gear............I'm sure there would be a market for them..me for one.
Neil. :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0

ZZ56

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 03:41:38 am »

Hi Neil.

I did think about it but honestly, I've never touched fiberglass before, and i don't know anyone skilled at mouldmaking near enough to me.  I'd end up dropping a pile of

I won't leave you empty-handed, though.  If you wish to build one yourself, you should look at the Great Lakes Marine Archive, which is a one-man operation that has actual plans for hundreds of boats.  Dave runs a 'non-profit' organization and only charges for the printing and postage costs.  He has multiple sheets for most of the ships on the list and can print any combination of them off for you.  Now that it's sailing season it might take him a little while to respond. 

ZZ56

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 04:52:25 am »

oops- should read 'dropping a pile of money on supplies only to botch it up :c'

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 08:50:14 am »

Hi Neil.

I did think about it but honestly, I've never touched fiberglass before, and i don't know anyone skilled at mouldmaking near enough to me.  I'd end up dropping a pile of

If you are interested in doing a fiberglass hull(s), a friend of mine, here, does molds for model boats and can make you one if you're interested. As far as his skill, you won't find better anywhere. Contact me via PM if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

John

nhp651

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »

thanks to both of you......she really is a beauty. neil. :-))

grandpal

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 04:07:15 pm »

I have sent off to Dave Benedet for 1/192 plans for CSL Saguenay. Was talking to a friend who sailed on her during summer break (2) from school so was quizzing him for info. One thing I noticed on your build of the stern was the prop. I believe (?)  that the lakers had 4 bladed props. Nice job on the planking.

ZZ56

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 06:51:49 am »

Yup, i think 99% of them had four-bladers.  I'll have to find one.  Problem is, i went for a 3/16" shaft for a Dumas prop, but all the four-bladers i've seen are European and metric :(

minor update for now.  Forecast is clear tomorrow, means i can glue up the center section and rout the bottom radii outside.  A few more planks in the bow and stern and then it's time for fiberglassing.  I think someone asked before about disassembly- maybe when i'm more experienced.  This one is getting permanently glued and bolted together. 

ZZ56

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 06:54:41 am »

oops, forgot pics  :embarrassed:

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:41 am »

Hi there

First may I say, Congratulations on a superb build ZZ56  :-))

May I make one suggestion?     You could find it is best to give the hull one coating of polyester resin with the correct amount of hardener mixed first allowing this coating to dry.  This coating of resin will soak in to all the gaps between the planks and seal them for you.  After this coating has dried, if you lightly sand down then look for any hollows in the planking, this then can be filled with car body filler and then smoothed flush. 

When you are happy with the finish, proceed in giving the hull another coat of resin/hardener mix - with a layer of tissue matting added.  When this has all dried, you could then give a final coating of pure resin with hardener mixed.  This will give you a workable surface to produce a good finish on the exterior of your hull through sanding.

The other thing is as well, with giving the hull a coating of resin/hardener mix first off, it will also harden the balsa blocks at the stern thus preventing too much being sanded off these easily.

Hope this helps my friend - carry on with your build - very enjoyable read  :-)) :-))

Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:15 am »

If you're looking for four bladed props, you could try Lowell Briggs . They have quite a selection of four bladed props . I think they're in Halifax. They have quite a range of props and other marine fittings:

http://storesense4.megawebservers.com/lowellbriggshobbies_com/Categories.bok?category=Brass+prop&searchpath=1935446&start=129&total=430

John

ZZ56

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:17 am »

Thanks so much, John & John.  I will put a coat of resin over the hull then, before i break out the putty.

These brass props, are they Raboesch?  It says the thread count and the prop diameter, but not the shaft diameter.  If they can be safely threaded on a 3/16'' shaft, i'll definately pick one up.

Filthy cheater that i am, definately going to order some bollards from that site.  I can't even buy the materials to make them for that price.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 10:52:38 am »

Thanks so much, John & John.  I will put a coat of resin over the hull then, before i break out the putty.

These brass props, are they Raboesch?  It says the thread count and the prop diameter, but not the shaft diameter.  If they can be safely threaded on a 3/16'' shaft, i'll definately pick one up.

Filthy cheater that i am, definately going to order some bollards from that site.  I can't even buy the materials to make them for that price.

Glad to be of assitance.
Yes, the Lowell Briggs props are from Raboesch. If you go to http://www.raboesch.com/   , and click on "catalogue 2" you'll find the specs on the props. About half way down are the for bladed props. The are listed for 1/8 and 3/16" shafts depending on the prop diameter.

John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.