Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: G.J. Valiquette - Great Lakes bulker- 1/96 scale  (Read 28015 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: G.J. Valiquette - Great Lakes bulker- 1/96 scale
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2009, 07:33:34 am »

Nope.  I'm thinking either after a friend of the family (owner of a trucking firm) or 'Thunder Cape'

I put in the flood chamber just as you said and it works well, still a lot of buoyancy though.  I will probably make up some shot-filled ply boxes for ballast.  Can you buy shot without a firearms license here in Canada?

Glad the chamber is working for you. As to the shot, I've had no problem buying shot without a firearms license. Since there is no gun powder in it, just a bag full of lead balls, I guess they don't see it as a problem, which they shouldn't. The store owner doesn't know me, so that wasn't an issue.
  When you put the shot in the boxes, put the shot in plastic seal able sandwich bags first, then put the filled bags into the boxes. I tried this on my Neddy build and it worked superb. That way you can easily remove the bags and add or delete shot as required to trim the ballast.

good luck, its going well.
John

steve pickstock

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 12:13:09 pm »

Try a fishing tackle shop - anglers use split shot to weigh their lines down. Not as cheap though.

ZZ56

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 04:09:12 am »

just some paint for today, I can't find one of my couplings for the Dumas dogbone connector, might have to order a double-kardan replacement.  I hate when that happens.

also, the biggest dang beetle i've ever seen landed on my boat while i was photgraphing it.  I was going to pick it up when i saw the size of the jaws it had.  It was easily 3 inches long

also, i finally chose a name for it.  Going to name it after my grandfather on my dad's side.  Is there a way for me to change the title of my thread to reflect that?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:06 am »

The vessel's looking good.
 That beetle looks like the remake of one of those 50's Japanese horror/monster movies.........."Godzilla Strikes Back". {-)

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 11:10:19 am »

Just a daft question, why do Great lake bulk ships tend to have the bridges forward?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chrise

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:54 am »

Just a daft question, why do Great lake bulk ships tend to have the bridges forward?

Isn't it odd that daft questions are often the ones that many of us don't know the answer to. I had always assumed visibility but then why are Great Lakes boats so unique in this respect?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:59 am »

:o

Good looking model - shame about the wildlife!

Andy quickly striking through "Ontario" as a holiday destination.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2009, 12:22:09 pm »

I suspect the bridge forward is as much an evolution thing as anything. When lakers, as we know them began in the late 1800s they were much shorter vessels being restricted by canal and lock size. Also, since these vessels traditionally had to negotiate very tight harbours and numerous small locks, many times without tug assist, I suspect the navigation was much easier with the wheel house forward. On thee type of vessels you'll notice what appears to be a bow sprit. Its actually a steering pole. Since most of the vessel is behind the wheelhouse its hard to determine the overall position of the vessel from a steering point of view. This pole gives you a reference as tot he direction the overall vessel is pointing when steering it.
  When seaway size vessels came about with the opening of the St.Lawrence Seaway this deign continued for a few years more in construction. Many old canalers were lengthened to Seaway Size (730') after the opening of the Seaway. From the mid sixties on vessels were constructed in the traditional pilot house aft configuration. Additionally, except for a few thousand footers on the upper lakes, new construction was also design for salt use.
  There aren't many traditional lakers left running anymore, most that run on the lakes are salt water compatible.
  I'm sure you've all seen the video on YouTube of the ship loosing its pilot house while going under a bridge. That happened not for south f me in the Welland Canal. The ship was one of Paterson Shippings vessels later built in the bridge aft configuration. That vessel was scrapped by the way.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »

:o

Good looking model - shame about the wildlife!

Andy quickly striking through "Ontario" as a holiday destination.

If a 3" beetle bothers you about visiting Ontario, you won't want to see the rest of the creatures we have around. Wolves, coyotes, bears, Missisaaugii Rattlers(in the right places)..........and I won't even go into the all night parties.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:38 pm »

also, i finally chose a name for it.  Going to name it after my grandfather on my dad's side.  Is there a way for me to change the title of my thread to reflect that?

Sure, what do you want me to rename the topic too?
(Almost missed this request...)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ZZ56

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »

Sure, what do you want me to rename the topic too?
(Almost missed this request...)

Could you just delete the ''not named yet part'' and insert ''G.J. Valiquette''?  Thanks!

I think that beetle is one of those invasive Asian species that eat up hardwood... so if it can bite into oak, im not picking it up!

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:47 pm »

I think that beetle is one of those invasive Asian species that eat up hardwood... so if it can bite into oak, im not picking it up!

A rolled up copy of the Sudbury Times works really well, particularly if its what you think it is.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »

:-)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:35 pm »

Certainly looks close to an Asian Long Horn Beetle:

John

From City of Toronto Parks web site:

Adult Beetles: Identification

1) Body

* glossy black with from 0 to 20 irregular white spots on the back (giving rise to the beetle's Chinese name, translated as "starry sky beetle")
    * bullet-shaped
    * length - 1.7 to 3.5 centimetres, with females generally larger than males

2) Antennae (there are two antennae)

* long (1 to 1.3 times the body length in females, 2.5 times the body length in males)
    * 11 black segments with whitish-blue base

3) Legs (there are six legs)

* black with bluish-white tinge

USDA, Forest Service

ZZ56

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:25 pm »

Couple pics from yesterday of the details on the wheelhouse and deck

Oh, and thanks for the change, Martin!

ZZ56

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2009, 08:18:10 am »

more work done, more to go!

I fried the speed controller due to my own stupidity.  Always check that exposed wires are wrapped up and not crossed!  In defiance, i used an old battery pack and connected the motor right to the battery, and threw it in the lake.  Ran well, but needs an upgrade to 12v and more ballast.  I'll put the two 6v batteries up front and a single six-pound 12v battery in the rear, plus a few capsules of lead. 

The hatch covers are going by faster than I'd thought. 

grandpal

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:46 pm »

Looking good. What size motor are you using? I have a problem as with the plans for a 1:192 hull, there is not much room  from the top of the keel to the center line of the prop shaft. Just received my wood from Great Hobbies in PEI and will start cutting soon. :-))

ZZ56

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2009, 12:24:27 am »

I am using an old 'mystery motor' my dad gave me.  If you need a small motor, try Radio Shack or a local surplus/electronics store.  You can always make a cut-out in the keel to accommodate the motor. 

Haven't updated in a long time because i've been doing a lot of 'invisible' work like soldering up the electrical bits and making door handles and such.  I have some pics and video of her on the water, but they are on my dad's cameras and he is away for a few days.

ZZ56

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »

A video from the latest run.  Weather was beautiful and there was nobody else at the lake. 
http://www.vimeo.com/6629458

Is the vid a little choppy at the beginning or is it just me?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:11 pm »

Runs nicely. Looks like it handles pretty good for a long vessel. Nice work. Are you going to ballast it more? I was wondering what the stability will be like in rougher water.

John

ZZ56

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2009, 02:11:09 am »

Stability is excellent, the real problem is windage.  In a stiff breeze, turning into the wind takes a lot of room, and turning away from the wind can be done almost on the spot.  Also, she's so stable lengthwise that without enough ballast in the stern, her propeller gets exposed in the trough of tiny waves and makes an annoying 'shussh' sound. 

I will be adding more ballast to the bows to bring them level with the stern.  Other than that, and a tendency to go to port when reversing, she handles amazingly well and is fun to drive. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:15 am »

Interesting video, the bow mounted bridge really emphasizes how much the back swings around in turns.

... man, she a big b--------er!  :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2009, 10:40:00 am »

Interesting video, the bow mounted bridge really emphasizes how much the back swings around in turns.

... man, she a big b--------er!  :-))

Imagine what it was like to trying to navigate those vessels on the lakes before the days of bow thrusters, especially during a storm.

John

ZZ56

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2009, 04:18:53 am »

more pics.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2009, 01:26:01 pm »

for such a long thin boat, it actually handles remarkably well.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.