Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overlapping Genoa  (Read 8396 times)

mike javelin

Overlapping Genoa
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:28:08 pm »

Has anyone had any sucess in using an overlapping genoa using a single sheeting servo, either arm or winch?

Is it possible or do I have to go for three servos?

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Overlapping Genoa
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:20:09 pm »

In either MB or MMI there was an article about setting winch lines for schooners etc with multiple foresails where the sheeting line passes over the jibstay of the sail aft of it, if you follow me. Which sounds a similar problem as an overlapping genoa. I'll have a look at my old copies but have a sneaking suspicion I've dropped it off at the club. Anyone else remember it ??

On the Thames barge I made that also has two jibs (not adjustable) I solved the tacking problem by passing the sheets through an eye in the sail ie the sail was able to flick over the stay when tacking and take up position on the bight of the sheet. The same could be incorporated in a winch controlled setup possibly by using a servo/winch to vary the length of the bight ?? Or would you like to know the theory of relativity 'cos that's probably as clear as the blurb I've just written !! (Don't say yes cos I don't know it) ;D ;D

Cheers

MikeK

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:36:16 pm »

There's an excellent well illustrated thread on http://www.modelzeilen.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32 (if you'll forgive the opening poster's taste in spinnakers :o) It's in Dutch burt many of the sheeting diagrams are self-explanatory, especially those on page 6. Babel fish does appear to have trouble with boats, though.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 06:41:59 pm »

I've often had a look at this idea., but came to the conclusion you would need to many servos/ winches to do it efficiently. On my gaff rigged cutter I made all the foresails so that they fit on a boom and just cleared the sail below or behind. I don't think there is a simple solution to this one.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

mike javelin

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:17:10 pm »

Many thanks,

The link to the Dutch Forum was very useful once I got to page 6 & 7

In fact page 7 has now got me thinking about spinnakers and self aunching poles which I use on my big boat.

Looks like I'm going to need 5 servos now  :(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 01:52:20 am »

I am in the process of doing topsails and flying jib for a Mary J Ward and would be interested in your progress.

So far the most useful thing I have discovered is from instructions for Robbe Valdivia, and it may be useable in for an overlapping genoa

It has all sails, including flying jib, running from one sail winch. Which is pretty neat.

If you go to the Robbe website you can download the instruction manuals for the Valdivia in PDF format. These are in both English and German. On page 31 there is a diagram on how the sheets cnnect to a single sail winch running a continous loop below decks.

The flying jib is connected aft of the jib.
If you find the page then the sheet (line) labeled 33.3 is for jib
sheet labeled 33.2 is for flying jib

I have tried to copy and paste figure but cannot do it sorry.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mike javelin

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:44:36 pm »

Was having a think after looking at that Robbe drawing and came up with this,

Not sure if it'll work but might be worth a try and if it does you could add as many jib sheets as you like.
Plus it does incorporate the mainsheet as well.

The only issue I can see is that you can't ease one jib sheet without taking in a little on the other.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 06:26:48 am »

Miike

There is a new model, a cutter rigged sloop from Victor models the Ruby B (see pictures)
http://www.victor-model.com/rubyb.html

I am guessing that the all 3 sails are running off one servo here also.
I.E. Jib, Flying Jib and Main.
It is failry clear to see where the sheets run. This might be a pointer for you.

I intend to rig mine in a similar fashion
The JPG is for my planned layout, comments please from anybody.

I will use a Hitec 815BB servo with 19.6kg torque at 6v so it should be enough. For Foresail, Mainsail, Jib, and flying Jib. I hope so anyhow.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 01:19:54 pm »

Mike
If you haven't seen it.
This forum may well have your answer.
Forums >> RC Boats >> RC Sailboats >> overlapping headsails http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3225997/tm.htm

mike javelin

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 05:35:49 pm »

Thanks  ;D

SloopJohnB

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:35:15 pm »

Mike

Here's a system I picked up a little while ago, I cann't remender where, so I hope its is ok with them to post it.

Frank M

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 04:22:37 am »

I am building a scaled up version (1/20) of the Artesania Latina ketch "Clara May". 

I believe I have enough info from this and other forums to set things up for controlling and tensioning the sheets for the multiple jibs - all 4 of them.  However, I was wondering if someone out there has had a bright idea for a system that will minimise the risk of snagging the clews on the jibs when the boat is tacked and the clews are drawn across the jib stay underneath.  Any ideas will be welcome.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.