Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: higgins boat scratch build!!  (Read 10248 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: higgins boat scratch build!!
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 11:41:37 am »

They were free plans yes but not sure what issue they were in i sourced them from a guy who also built the boat.I have all the plans and build instructions i can email them to you if you wish?.The epoxy is a great way to cover a balsa boat as it adds strength to the hull or should i say makes it more impact resistant.I cant help you with parts as i made all the guns and torps myself  they worked out pretty good ,the boat still isnt finnished but my son loves taking her out. We have since ditched the 7.2 v nicad for a 7.2 v nimmh and wow this thing is twice as fast now so i have been installing water cooling as the motor gets pretty warm,i havent tested it out yet though .speed is now well above scale at full throttle which he seems to like and runtimes are about 15 mins or more  with the higher mah(3,300mah).

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »

martno1fan sent me this Info on the original - http://web.ukonline.co.uk/alan.shipman/boats/PT305history.htm

Credit where credit due  ::)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigfella

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 02:55:23 am »

Hi All

I am currently in the process of making this model and I am up to the electrics stage. I fibreglassed the hull and resined the deck. I had ordered some fittings from the USA (40mm boffors, depth charges and other parts) but have had to cancell the order as i have waited 4 months and no sign.

g7tmu I have some of the fittings from monstervan from ebay and they are of a good standard, I went for torpedo tubes instead of the roll off torpedoes, the life raft is good as is the 20mm cannon, hatches and other parts. Will post a photo when finished.

Regards Bigfella

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 08:53:54 am »

Why didnt you post a build thread? ,i made my life raft using balsa and wrapped a silicon tube round it and used zip ties as straps looks pretty good and makes it look like shes strapped down to the deck.cost err nowt lol as were all my guns and torps which i made from scrap i had laying around from other builds  ;D.one day ill get round to finnishing the thing if i can stop my son playing with it long enough that is.by the way stay tuned for anew video of this boat since we changed from nicad to nimmh WOW what a diff it made this thing really moves!!. :o

bigfella

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 11:54:54 am »

Hi martino1fan

Sorry for jumping in like that. I only have a few photos that would not do for a build. By the way yours looks like a great build, I have seen the video and she really goes well, looks realistic in the water. I had to buy fittings due to the fact that I suffer from arthritis in the hands and that restricts me a little.... What type of motor did you end up using??? I am thinking of using a Johnson 540 and 6v sealed lead acid battery, do you think that would give as good a performance as yours??

Kind regards Bigfella

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 05:27:25 pm »

the lead battery will be a bit heavy if i were you id get a nimmh pack of 7.2 volts and mines 3,300 mah which gives great speed and decent runtimes.i used the motor out of an old tamiya car its a 540 motor and i bough another which is a spare for 1 quid off ebay unused.try the jouhnson if you like it might be ok.i used a mechanical speed controll as i had it  allready and they are bullet proof.that video by the way is the old battery now its super fast .quite a lot faster whcih was a surprise i couldnt beleive the diff between the nimmh and the nicad pack.they are both 7.2 volts but the nimmh giives far more power.i use the standard nicad wall charger for the nimmh as its only  250 ma and was told as long as you use a low ma charger nimmhs are fine and no memmory unlike nicads.so you can top them up an hr or so before you go boating unlike with nicads.

bigfella

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 09:17:50 am »

Hi martino1

I just bought 3 of those Tamiya/Johnson motors from ebay and 5 Johnson 540 motors also on ebay. The Tamiya are used and the Johnson are new so I think I will put one of the Johnson motors in the PT Boat I have a speed controller (Tekin 610) that is made for a car but will do for the boat, it has reverse as well and has a 200 amp capacity, so it should go a bit.

Regards Bigfella

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 09:36:44 am »

try the tamya ones first as i know the johnsons rev very high and tend to over heat ive seen a boat go on fire before that way.also water cool the motor use a coil.mine has reverse too be carefull though as the couplings can come loose in reverse  so make sure its on tight .

bigfella

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 11:05:22 pm »

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I will give the Tamiya a go and see how she goes. I will have to put a water pickup on her.

Regards Bigfella

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 12:58:19 am »

you will love this boat it handles brilliantly and is very good at speed ,just dont hit any bouys as i did cos she will take off and land upside down like mine hehe but she never leaked a drop lol.mind you wading waist deep in mud and water in feb isnt much fun lol. :'( were taking her for a spin tomorrow so hopefully ill have a new vid of her for you soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.