Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: higgins boat scratch build!!  (Read 10245 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
higgins boat scratch build!!
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:18:08 pm »

Hi well after getting the plans for a higgins boat 30 inches long i made a start on the build,she will be powered using a 540 motor and a 7.2 volt nimh pack, and im using plywood frames and balsa planks and sheeting for the hull.i first made a jig by drawing the outline of the deck onto a piece of 3x 2 softwood,i then marked the frames and cut down to the line creating slots for each frame to slot into.then i used 1/8 ply for frames i could have used balsa but prfered to use ply.if i had 1/16 id have used that but i didnt so instead decided 1/8 would be ok if i cut some lightening holes in it.heres  a cpl of pics of her to show my progress so far.feel free to comment !!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: higgins boat scratch build!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:43:16 am »

well theres plenty of people looking but so far no ones had any comments which is disapointing!! heres a cpl more pics of the hull .planks are all on now so just needs sanding and maybe a bit of filler here and there .ill post more pics when i get chance if anyones interested??

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:23:33 am »

Hi Martno1fan-looking good but you won't find many commercially available fittings at 1/31.2 scale I wouldn't have thought...

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:47:27 am »

keep postings I'll look forward to seeing the finished boat. As allready mentioned how are you going to solve the problem of fittings or are youu going to make everything?

Good Luck
Daryl

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:55:22 am »

Hi Martno1fan-looking good but you won't find many commercially available fittings at 1/31.2 scale I wouldn't have thought...
im not using comercial fittings all the guns and torps are on the plans and im building them all myself from the build instructions which if you look at my other thread on the plans you will see all the info is there to download including the plans.the side plan and parts plan probably wont work on your printer though but martin will be posting the plans at some point for me so you can download them,in the meantime if anyone wants them ill send them in an email!!.also the john drain site is good for info on how to build the fittings from scratch.why buy them when you can have the fun of building them and save yourself a fortune also?.glad you like her so far though thanks!!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:20:32 am »

Hi Martno,
my son Dennis (age 13) wants to start with a Higgins as well. He decided it to be his first boat scratchbuild. The base is the Free plan from MB.
Though I will follow your report with lots of interest. But we will make it scale 1:24, just to have the opportunity and put some more Nicads in it...  ::)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:55:38 am »

hi jorg this boat is for my son also hes ten,i decided to build it this scale as i had the plans and all the instructions to build everything myself .i need to get it done by christmas so ill need to get cracking lol!!.actually you could do this build any size you like if you play around with printer settings.i may myself build a larger version of this one next year some time.it certainly helps having all the instructions and i also have a build thread off a lad that did this same build so i can keep looking at the pics and see how im doing.the guns and torps are all balsa with a few bits of ply and brass tubing,wire etc.my wifes also buying a copy of the film they were expendable so my son can see her in action for real.theres also a new computer game due out soon of the pt boats  ::) no doubt he will want that as well heres a link to it downlod the trailer it looks good.
http://http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload/PT-Boats-Knights-of-the-Sea-Trailer-3-Download-9514.html

cdsc123

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:30:29 pm »

You guys are all doing it the wrong way round. I attach a picture of my son, he is about 1/12th scale , built from scratch (and other types of contact). By the time he is born my fleet will be made and then he will break them all.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:07:06 pm »

congrats cdsc i too have tryed this form of scratch building three times to be exact and you are right the little cyborgs will in fact try and sink everything else you make but its worth it in the long run

sorry her in doors tells me there not cyborgs there TERMINATORS

warspite

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:17:22 pm »

you have to check what model numbers they are as well, i got two of the 666 series

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 10:35:39 am »

well the hulls planked and so is the deck i just need to trim the deck and sand,once ive done that ill fit the motor mount and fasten the prop tube  and rudder in place .once im happy with it ill coat the hull and deck with epoxy and sand smooth ,ill give it 2 to 3 thin coats of epoxy using an old credit card.then ill fit the hatch and start on the chart room ,mast and all the fittings

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 10:38:57 am »

Hi well ive finnished the hull and its coated with two coats of epoxy and the deck is coated too.all i need to do now is attach the chartroom and fit the hatch cover and then make all the fittings.ive half built the boffors cannon just needs a bit of detail adding,gun sights etc i made it using balsa and a bit of plasticard also some round softwood stock sanded to shape for the barrel.i havent used any brass or copper tubing at all as i need to get this built and dont have time to mess arround with solder.but it looks pretty good and im sure once its painted it will look pretty good.the hull looks pretty good and im more than happy with the shape and the smooth finnish.just needs paint now.the motor is mounted and connected now i need to put the rudder in ,first ill need to make the rudder though.progress has been slow the last few days as ive needed to wait a day for the epoxy to set up in my workshop before i could flip the boat to do the other side etc.the cooler weather doesnt help either but ill get there in the end.pics to come!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 11:23:53 am »

heres a few pics of the finnished hull hope you like what ive done!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 11:25:57 am »

more

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 07:11:39 pm »

Hi Mart,

Looking good, hull seen to have turned out better than the Vosper. Should go well, with all that balsa i bet she's light!

;) ;)
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 06:21:48 pm »

Hi Mart,

Looking good, hull seen to have turned out better than the Vosper. Should go well, with all that balsa i bet she's light!

;) ;)
hi simon thanks for the compliment ,yes she is very light and she looks great  shes also pretty strong surprisingly .im so pleased with her,i wish id done the vosper with wood as thats what im good with .i will do a vosper next year im thinking of using a strimmer engine in one!!.by the way your boat looked awesome too i saw a few pics of her on the water !!.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 11:02:25 am »

hi guys, well shes coming along nicely now and i only have a few bits to add to her to get her finnished.ive painted the hull although i need to add the teeth to the stem under the chines hence why the red goes up at the bow along the chines.i havent had a chance to post pics for a while so pleas excuse me if it appears that ive jumped on a bit in the build!!.i hope you all like what ive done ,comments are welcome.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 05:21:54 pm »

Hey Mart,

Coming on well, the build seems to be really quick.

Have you had her on the water yet, real little flier!

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 11:38:16 pm »

ive had her in the bath simon and thats all,i still need to put the rudder in as i needed the parts to make it so went ahead with the build but it shouldnt be a problem.i did try the motor out in the bath and yes i think it will fly hehe.my son will love it and i reckon it will give his wind speed boat a good run for its money lol.i havent done any building to the boat for two weeks till this week but yes its coming along quick.once i get going i cant stop but i need this done before xmas .by the way i just bought a nice strimmer engine on ebay this week for 15 pounds its 28 cc im either thinking another larger one of these or a shhh(speed boat). ;D

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 10:42:39 am »

hi well i havent been able to get the boat totally finnished there are still some details to add such as windscreen and such later but i think its going to please my son and looks quite nice as it is so this is how he will see it on christmas day the electrics are all added.she was tested in the bath and wow she has quite a bit of power i was pleasantly surprised she almost climbed out of the bath at half throtle so im sure she will be well above sacale speed at full power which is nice!!.heres the pics of her i hope you like what ive done and feel free to add coments thanks.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 10:52:09 am »

few more !!

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:43 pm »

Hi, Congratulations on a really great looking model. Can I ask what kind of epoxy coating you used? Was it used in conjunction with fibreglass or just the epoxy? Did you just brush it on, and if so, did you do it inside the hull also. Cheers. Ray

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 04:19:14 pm »

Hi, Congratulations on a really great looking model. Can I ask what kind of epoxy coating you used? Was it used in conjunction with fibreglass or just the epoxy? Did you just brush it on, and if so, did you do it inside the hull also. Cheers. Ray
hi mate i just used two part epoxy on the outside i used a credit card(old) to spread it over the hull i sanded it between coats and gave it 3 coats.its plenty strong too.i left the inside apart from the aft end where the rudder is as i was epoxying in the rudder tube and prop tube i brushed some round the hull there but i feel its not really needed but it wont hurt to do inside as well.im glad you like her im very happy with her i made every thing, all the guns and torps are made from scrap balsa and gun barrels are wooded skewers we had left from a barbeque  ;)the only things i didnt make were a cpl of  life belts and some cleats.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 02:30:04 pm »

here are some pics of the inside !! i made a thicker heat sinc out of thicker alluminium and it seems to work well.also heres a link to its maiden voyage!!http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WPQneDh7o

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 09:11:56 am »

Was this built from the Model Boats free plan (08/2004)? You have encouraged me to have a go at building one, now I have finished my PT-15!

I see that there is a supplier on eBay of 1:32 PT boat fittings, which look quite good and a full range including torpedo tubes and turrets etc., but they are somewhat expensive! Anyone tried them I wonder?

I have built balsa hulls before and found that Jap tissue gives the best surface onto the hull and by the time you have several coats of dope under the tissue and again on to the Jap tissue, you end up with a very good smooth surface, ready for painting.

Victor (g7tmu)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.