Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol hull colour  (Read 9830 times)

monarch

Humbrol hull colour
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:45 pm »

Hi
Have bought a second hand Marie Feling tug and have damaged the hull, I know it was painted with Humbrol paint and has a matt red oxide finish and wonder if anyone can suggest colour and number that may be suitable.
Thanks

andyn

Re: Humbrol hull colour
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:52:42 pm »

Revell paint number 37 :-))

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:56:03 pm »

You could try wading through this lot    http://www.airfix.com/humbrol-paints-and-accessories/paints/all-paints/

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:16:13 pm »

The original Humbrol "Hull Red" was number 177.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »

Assuming (always dangerous) that you are talking about the underwater bit of the hull.....why not just use Red Oxide, The colour is an almost perfect match for "anti-fouling" paint found on "real" ship", dries well without brush marks and is long lasting. Also, the "small" tins are a darn sight cheaper than the Humbrol equivalent and last longer in the tin....plus having the bonus of having lots in reserve if you want a bit of a "touch-up" (still talking of hulls). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »

Bryan, I'm not sure whether Monarch simply wanted to touch up the existing paint or repaint the underwater part of the hull entirely. You are of course right that car primer "red oxide" is a very good match for real ship antifouling but in this case it would seem that the existing paint is enamel and so using a solvent based paint on top isn't likely to be an option as it is likely to react with the Humbrol underneath.

In any event, trying to touch in an area would be a bit problematical anyway so Monarch would be best advised to find a "red oxide" coloured enamel and use that. Humbrol no longer do Hull Red but No.70 Brick Red might be an acceptable alternative.

Colin

monarch

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:59:19 pm »

Hi
Thanks all, reading comments seems a better bet to repaint the complete hull below water line with red oxide from halfords or the like and then re-varnish.

Lionel

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:11:52 pm »

Lionel,

That's not what i meant! Unless the existing paint finish is very old - 10 years or so - you risk the Halfords solvent reacting with the existing finish. Then you will have a job and a half on your hands!

If you think the existing finish is Humbrol enamel then it's best to stick to that. The Brick Red colour should look OK.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:39:01 pm »

Hi there Monarch

As Colin has stated, the chances are, the hull will be painted Humbrol number 177 (hull red),  although this colour is no longer available - according to Humbrol's Colour System book which I have you can make this colour match up.   You would do this by blending these Humbrol colours ;   

No 60 x 53 drops

No 34 x 15 drops

No 33 x 14 drops

then

No 99 x 2 drops

How large the drops are, I suppose is up to yourself, as long as all of the drops are kept of the same volume/amount  :-))

The other alternative is; Tamiya do a hull red which is very near to humrel hol rod - or even Humbrol's hull red  :-)) :-)) ;)   That Tamiya colour is XF9 - the drawback with this colour though is that its an acrylic paint - so, if you do choose to paint your hull with this - it would have to be a full paint job.

If you go the Halford's red oxide route, I believe all Halford paints now may be an acrylic base; and they may not react to the Humbrol - but BE SAFE - test a small piece first before doing a full hull.

Hope this is of some help.

Aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

monarch

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:45 pm »

Hi
Taking on all your great comments, would it be better to use enamel or acrylic.  I think from all the info it will be easier to repaint then try to match old paint.

Great help

Thanks  Lionel

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:51:16 pm »

Acrylics, whether water or chemical based, WILL react with humbrol enamal based paints.

They dry by evaporation and etching process, and the enamel( oil based) will be picked off like orange peel on an over ripe satsuma.
And then it's a whole mess as Colin says to sand it all down, especially as the top side is already fitted out.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:00 pm »

I use Humbrol 70 brick red and gloss red Humbrol 19 mixed to get the right shade and fingerprint free finish, ie , a harder finish than just matt.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:35 pm »

Lionel, I would go with John's suggestion. The paint will be compatible with what you have on the hull at the moment.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.