Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to start a Private Museum ? ( Model Boat)  (Read 3640 times)

John East

How to start a Private Museum ? ( Model Boat)
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:23:25 pm »

Hi
My father and I have collected quite a few model boats over the years, enough to fill a small private museum, which is what we would like to do. Does anyone know how this is done ?. I have spent a few hours surfing around the internet but have not found anything on starting a private museum in the UK.

Thanks John

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to start a Private Museum ? ( Model Boat)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »

Standard business approach:

What have I got to offer the public?
Who will be interested?
How am I going to attract them?
Why should they come? [Rather than do other things]

A few other thoughts: Find out about charitable status. Find premises. Arrange public liability insurance. Do a business plan with financial projections to see what kind of financial commitment you letting yourself in for, this being the most important.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:48:00 am »

If you are doing this for the pleasure of doing it there is little financial risk, if you own premises (this could be an outbuilding). If you don't own premises then you will have to pay rent.
There will probable by an issues of Public Liability Insurance.

If you are thinking of a business then you really need a premises where there is footfall (lots of people), this need not be on a shopping street (high rent). There are many docks, harbours, and quays open to the public; and these attract visitors at the weekend.

You can get free advice from your local small business adviser. They will be able to tell you about what you need to with regards to registering a company, insurance, and other regulations. You should be able to track the small business adviser down if you chat to the job centre.

Hope this info can at least get you started.
Mark
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:02:52 am »

Hi
My father and I have collected quite a few model boats over the years, enough to fill a small private museum, which is what we would like to do. Does anyone know how this is done ?. I have spent a few hours surfing around the internet but have not found anything on starting a private museum in the UK.

Thanks John

Talk to Richard Howard at Beale Park - he has one of the largest private collections of model boats in the world (but I'm not sure about them always being on public display)?  Richard is very approachable, and I'm sure he could give you some good advice.

Malc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:16:21 am »

Some of Richard's collection at Beale....

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:33:41 am »

And of course, once you start telling Joe Public that you have something worth seeing, there will be those who will agree, and want it for themselves, and there is also the mindless element who see someone elses efforts and decide that if they cant do it, it must be broken.  Security could become a major concern.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:14:01 pm »

( More of the Beale park collection here:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Shows/Beale%202003/Beale_May_2003.htm  )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John East

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »

Hi
Thanks for all those comments.
I did speak to Richard Howard some time ago, He seemed more interested in me giving him my boats for his museum.
This is not really going to be a business idea, just a bit of fun really. I do have  2 double garages which  I'm sure could be converted  for display purpose.
I expect there would be some public liability insurance issue, this seems to a problem everywhere. And maybe a planing issue.
I will be converting one of my garages anyway, just for somewhere to put them all. Just thought it would be a nice idea to let other like minded people see them.
Was only going to let Invited people in anyway.

Will make a few more enquires.

Thanks John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:01:24 am »

Hi John

As soon as you invite the public (schools etc.) you will hit the insurance problem.

Another thought, if you want to get out a bit, would be a mobile display. A bit like the caravan like vehicles they army and police use for recruitment and information. With a door at each end.
You could fit dispay cases with plexiglas fronts. You could then turn up at other locations where events are held.
You would need to investigate costs of permits from the local council or organisers. RNLI would probably welcome you if you had a collection box.

You would also get a portion of your garage back.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.