Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon KS230  (Read 3990 times)

barryfoote

Proxxon KS230
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:31:45 pm »

Hi guys,
I have now had my new saw for a few months and don't know how I managed without it.

Unfortunately I now have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I have a long piece of 30mm x 20 mm softwood that the saw cuts into without problem as long as it is done slowly. The problem is that the safety guard gets in the way. I want to cut it into two pieces of 30mm x 9.5 mm, allowing for the cut line. My idea is to run the saw along one side and then by flipping the wood over, cut through the other side, giving me two lengths of the right dimensions.

I cannot see a way to remove the safety guard. It unscrews from the back but this just leaves it loose on the cutting table.

Does anyone know how to remove it, without ruing it as I would want to replace it afterwards?

Barry

nhp651

Re: Proxxon KS230
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »

I have never seen your saw, Footski, but if it's like any other circular bench saw the  guard will be fitted to the "writhing knife".

This is the steel hook like "blade" that comes up from under the saw bed, and is ment to part the piece of timber in two as you saw cut.
the timber by its own natural graining will either spring open or spring shut, as it is cut( one or the other way) and that writhing knife is ment to stop the wood pinching shut, trapping the blade and burning out the motor, or worse, thowing the timber up from the front of your blade and smacking you in the mouth.

For your and the machines safety that writhing blade SHOULD NOT BE DISMANTLED.

YOU CAN TAKE THE GUARD OFF AT YOUR RISK, BUT DON'T TAKE THAT BLADE OFF.
Neil.

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

Thanks Neil, but that writhing knife is too deep, so I cannot cut as wanted unless it is removed......Maybe it just should not be done and I will have to have a rethink!!

boat captain

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:19 pm »

Hi

I have the bigger model the FKS/E if it the same set up. I can lift the guard and riving knife by taking the side panel off slackening the two restraining screws and lifting the whole assembly up, re tighten the screws and saw to your hearts content.

Hope this helps.

Regards Joe   :-))

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:00 pm »

Thanks Joe but you can't do that on this model!!

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:38:18 am »

Barry,

That is because you shouldn't!

Neil's advice is quite right, many years ago Ii thought I was being clever taking the knife and restraining fingers off my new De Walt Radial Arm Saw.....nearly lost my head!

Roger

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:24 am »

Thanks guys...Stopped me in my tracks. I will buy a piece of 20mm x 10mm and cut it properly...

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:50 am »

Hi Barry
I know I have taken it off one of my saws I will look and see if I can see how I did it(Memory fades)

I will be out to Johns on Tuesday for two weeks

Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:58:14 am »

Thanks guys...Stopped me in my tracks. I will buy a piece of 20mm x 10mm and cut it properly...

I think that's your best course of action, Barry. The KS230 is a great little saw, but it will still bite, so I wouldn't attempt to remove the guard.

Peter.

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:12:00 am »

Hi Barry
I have had a look at one of mine and you can remove the complete guard by undoing the nut and bolt from the hole in the back very fidily.

another method undo the four screws on top plate lift and you can get at it.

As others have said they bite I have bloodied my

Dave

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:25:53 am »

Barry,

If and when you do it and it bites.....sue Dave Buckingham for encouraging you!

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:53 am »

I think common sense has taken over.....I will leave well alone...

Dave,

The weather out here at the moment is superb....not too hot and a nice cooling breeze...Perfect!!

omra85

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

Barry
Slashing your wrists with a broken milk bottle or poking a piece of rough sawn timber through your eyeball is NOT the answer.
Tell your Mayhem buddies what the real problem is and we'll try to help (or at least come up with better ideas for suicide... ).
Are you secretly missing the feel of cold drizzle against your face? The entertainment value in knowing your MP had more in dog biscuit expenses than you earned last year?  The disappointment of not being able to stand under a soggy gazebo moaning about the effectiveness of a Peterborough gentleman's rain dance?
Some things just have to be endured, but we're all here to help.  :-))

Danny
-
-
-
-
-
-
 :P :P :P ;D {-) {-) {-)
serves you right for mentioning the weather

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:50:58 pm »

Very good Danny,

Needed a good laugh, while drinking a long cool gin & tonic in the sunshine.. {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %% %%

Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:43:43 pm »

Cutting timber from each side to get increased effective capacity is not exactly a revolutionary idea. Worried about kickback ? Why are you standng in line with it anyway? Worried about a splinter in your eye? Why aren't you wearing gogles anyway?
It looks like the guard is going to be a frequent problem so why not design a better one from a large piece of clear plastic (the armour plated windows kind not double glazing) on a side arm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.