Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Message of thanks - Sirmar Models  (Read 10241 times)

andyn

Message of thanks - Sirmar Models
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:22:30 pm »

It's been a while in the making, but my Algerine Class Minesweeper arrived today. What a model it is too, lovely hull plating details and the positions for various parts are moulded into the hull too. Quite heavily laid up, so it's very strong. Doesn't fit in the bath though...

Paul and his wife at Sirmar are stars too, they have been very nice people to talk to throughout.

Still, enough of this, I've got a model to make!

Andy :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Message of thanks - Sirmar Models
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:49:18 pm »

You been on here long enough Andy, wherz da photos?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09:46 pm »

Oh ok then...

dan

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »

thats a nice looking hull.

Paul and his wife at Sirmar are stars too, they have been very nice people to talk to throughout.

i couldnt agree more, i have always found paul very kind and useful to talk to  O0

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »

what scale is it andy,  :-))

andyn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »

1:48th, puts it at 57 inches long. Wanted to build this because my Grandad served on HMS Sylvia in the Mediterranean.

http://www.sirmarmodelships.com/showship.asp?ID=36

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:04:43 pm »

cheers andy.
is your grandad still alive.
i have a friend who is a member of the "Algerine Society".
he speeks highly of the ships and men he served with.

andyn

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »

He is yes, he was the one who encouraged me to build it, and seems to have decided to fund the build too.

He can't remember much of the details of it, but has many stories.

chingdevil

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:41 pm »

Andy

That looks a nice hull, need to see plenty of pictures of the build, will it be ready for Wicksteed {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Brian

andyn

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:42 pm »

I don't even think it'll be ready for Llanberis by the looks of things... Spare time is about to be lost as I'm looking for a job to pay for this rather expensive hobby...

TCC

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

Is there a waste strip along the top of the hull you have to cut off? It looks really rough along the top in that shot down the hull's side.

Cheers

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »

ask him if he ever came accross a guy called Stan Cheatham.
he served in the med and the far east.
neil.

andyn

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »

ask him if he ever came accross a guy called Stan Cheatham.

I will do, but I doubt he will have

Is there a waste strip along the top of the hull you have to cut off? It looks really rough along the top in that shot down the hull's side.

There is yes, is there an easier way to remove it? So far I've been cutting glassfibre with a razor saw or fine toothed hacksaw and it's taken ages....

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »

There is yes, is there an easier way to remove it? So far I've been cutting glassfibre with a razor saw or fine toothed hacksaw and it's taken ages....
[/quote]

I use a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool. Cuts like a knife through butter. Just take it easy and be watchful of kick back.

John

andyn

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 07:38:36 pm »

Oh dear now I need to buy a dremel too...

I'll borrow Bill's actually

Thanks for that

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:42:45 pm »

cut off wheels and hacksaws  >>:-( >>:-(

there is a cracking tool I use for this a Block plane
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20388/Hand-Tools/Wood-Chisels-Planes/Planes/Stanley-Surform-Block-Plane

It makes it a much neater job and it will be evenly cut off the excess GRP. If you fitter your deck then inside then you can plane back until it is
flush

It is a cracking hull you have I got the full Clyde semi kit from Paul and it is a cracker I am really pleased with it
and would recommend it to anyone. I need to clear some build space then I am going to get going with the build

andyn

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:37 pm »

I have one of those somewhere, I'll give it a try on some scrap GF

DARLEK1

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 11:01:49 pm »

THE REASON FOR THE WASTE STRIP :o
 Too many people in the past have complained that a hull has been trimmed too low and so on. This does not happen now if I can help it! It also helps protect a hull during shipping etc.

Get a life TCC! And thank you very much Andy, sorry it took so long, it's the same with everything these days, I do have another job and this "other job" I have, takes me away week by week by 20 hours as it is weather dependant, in the mean time I work my " Censored " off for my customers and I would like to say what a loyal bunch they are! :-)) Keep it comming lads, before the 20 hours turns out to be 72

Paul, AKA, SIRMAR!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 11:05:09 pm »

the other reason for the "roughness", blame the dog (see pic2), looks like its taking a bite!

in all seriousness, if this is like any of Sirmars other hulls, there won;t be a problem
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

andyn

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »

THE REASON FOR THE WASTE STRIP :o
 Too many people in the past have complained that a hull has been trimmed too low and so on. This does not happen now if I can help it! It also helps protect a hull during shipping etc.

Get a life TCC! And thank you very much Andy, sorry it took so long, it's the same with everything these days, I do have another job and this "other job" I have, takes me away week by week by 20 hours as it is weather dependant, in the mean time I work my " Censored " off for my customers and I would like to say what a loyal bunch they are! :-)) Keep it comming lads, before the 20 hours turns out to be 72

Paul, AKA, SIRMAR!

I don't mind the waste strip at all mate, all adds to the whole experiance of building the model.

And to be honest it couldn't have come at a more conveniant time really, because during the time it was on order I've finished off my multi and got it going like stink, and got the Z Class race out of the way, so the decks are cleared and it now has free space of the workbench :-))

My nan has rather genorously decided she's going to give me money towards the building of the model, as this is what my Grandad served on, so next up will be the running gear, and after that the odd fitting or two.

Keep up the excellent work :-))

Andy :-) (One very satisfied customer)

TCC

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 11:36:25 pm »

Get a life TCC!

????????

Jeez... you can't even ask a questin.

I'll follow you're advice and leave you with the suggestion that if you don't want people commenting on the looks of the 'waste' areas, that you smarten such areas up.

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:42 pm »

Get a life TCC!
I'll follow you're advice and leave you with the suggestion that if you don't want people commenting on the looks of the 'waste' areas, that you smarten such areas up.

What would be the point of smartening up a waste area which will be cut away ??

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 11:42:36 pm »

just a question, why smarten up something that get cuts off and slung, just doesnt make sence.  be like Graupner putting nice filed edges onto the vacform, then saying "cut that off".  or polishing and valleting a car, just to send it to the breakers yard.  

if its scrap material on there to be sacrificial material for transit, then it dont matter what it looks like,  I had to cut off 2" deep sections of the scrap on Najade.  

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 11:43:24 pm »

oh TLB, looks like you beat be tio the same thing

The long Build

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 11:44:48 pm »

oh TLB, looks like you beat be tio the same thing

You were a bit more artistic. :}
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.