Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Message of thanks - Sirmar Models  (Read 10240 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Message of thanks - Sirmar Models
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 11:50:33 pm »

oh TLB, looks like you beat be tio the same thing

You were a bit more artistic. :}

oh.

the hull does look somewhat thick though, which is a good thing as its going to be tough. 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

andyn

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:35 pm »

The hull looks to be around three layers, which is ample for me, takes away the feeling of flimsyness you get with some models

It's going to weigh a ton anyway with batteries in, so the hull weight is immaterial.

I'm thinking ACTion ESC's and sound systems, with Mark's Foggy unit in it to boot...

The long Build

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 11:57:16 pm »

Wheres the dog going ?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 12:01:45 am »

by the looks of it larry, straight to the stern section to take a bite

andyn

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:49 am »

The dog is currently lying upsidedown on the floor, paws spread out, snoring.

DARLEK1

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 12:16:12 am »

OK Lads, I know TCC has been having a "pop" at me here and there, do not turn this in to another Mayhem argument please!

The" boy"  TCC, Is obviously confused, I am not the only maker that leaves a waste strip and as has been said by others, why should it need to be cleaned up if it is going to get cut off anyway?

Paul... %) :o

andyn

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:17 am »

You definately aren't the only one, Bernard Holder does for a start (makes the very popular Magnum and Crusader OMRA racing boats, has about an ich around the deck to hull seam sticking out).

I fancied building something for a change of pace, Sunday mornings are always so hectic so thursday afternoons are for a laze about. This suits perfectly.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:34 am »

Caldercraft have to be trimmed off too, I thought this was an accepted way of selling hulls.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 08:52:22 am »

I am not the only maker that leaves a waste strip and as has been said by others

It's standard practice, on mouldings Paul, and to anyone else.

Moulders like it because the master mould and plug are built that way so that the eventual builder doesn't have a weak edge to glue deck and such too, and so that the bulwarks aren't left with little air holes and flaking gell coat on the edge of  them.

If someone is moaning about trimming, perhaps they should stick to airfix and revelle?? %% {-) {-) {-)

Proteus

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 11:35:16 am »

some people don't always use the hull for the model they where sold for, they do a varyant of it that may need a bit more hight in some areas, i think Dickie did one recently that I bet he wished there had been a bit more to cut of, also the hulls seem to be a bit more uniform if you have scrap at the top that has to be removed as they can be a bit thick the last few mill or even thin.

can we just give credit to a manufacturer who is doing a good job foe a change. <*<

Proteus

andyn

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:37 am »

You still have to trim Revell and Airfix...

And yes we are praising the manufacturer, I am thoroughly satisfied with my hull, and the chairman at our club has a fair few of Paul's models too, and he too is very happy with them. Ignore any criticism Paul, you are doing a superb job. :-))

A little proof of trim off, on the back of a Crusader race boat - Moulded by Bernard Holder.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:15 pm »

some people don't always use the hull for the model they where sold for, they do a varyant of it that may need a bit more hight in some areas, i think Dickie did one recently that I bet he wished there had been a bit more to cut of, also the hulls seem to be a bit more uniform if you have scrap at the top that has to be removed as they can be a bit thick the last few mill or even thin.

can we just give credit to a manufacturer who is doing a good job foe a change. <*<

Proteus
Very observant Proteus, you are right and I had forgotten, it was my tramp steamer where I had to raise the height of the hull.  :-))

A lot of our club members have Pauls hulls and are very pleased with them, in fact our club chairman has several,
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Rex Hunt

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 04:58:41 pm »

Slogging away at Paul's Hermes at the moment
(build on Modelwarships Uk site)and I cannot knock it!

Sturdy hull, good thickness, easy to trim to line using Dremel and 'cut off' wheel
(I used the diamond sintered type..........no sweat...but loadsa dust!)

Being a multi part mould there were also a few surface lines to rub down.........

Guess it is one of those things that makes a modeller a modeller, and a kit maker a 'toymaker'!   ;D

(removes tongue from corner of cheek)

Keep up the good work Paul!

(have you considered moulding the aircraft in clear resin?) :-))

Rex

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »

clear resin arcaft wiould be good as then the xclear canopioes would be clear, not needed to be painted silver

DARLEK1

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 11:54:47 pm »

Thank you all very much guys, I just do my best with what I have, clear resin, I am experimenting with that. There are many new things about to happen, but, one bit at a time as it is. Things take time!

I see you guys sank TCC pretty quickly and thank you for that! None of us UK or good US manufacturers need any bad feed back at this present time, if you want us we are here, all this keeps us going right now, otherwise you may lose your hobby in the end and I for one am not speaking alone!

Paul...

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:08 am »

not a problem paul. 

Rex Hunt

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 04:27:14 pm »

My trouble is.....I speaks as I finds!

Put me down for a trial Wasp mate!!!!!

Rex

andyn

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »

Paul, could you please email me some detail shots of the finished model? Ta O0

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »

Slogging away at Paul's Hermes at the moment
(build on Modelwarships Uk site)and I cannot knock it!

Sturdy hull, good thickness, easy to trim to line using Dremel and 'cut off' wheel
(I used the diamond sintered type..........no sweat...but loadsa dust!)

Being a multi part mould there were also a few surface lines to rub down.........

Guess it is one of those things that makes a modeller a modeller, and a kit maker a 'toymaker'!   ;D

(removes tongue from corner of cheek)

Keep up the good work Paul!

(have you considered moulding the aircraft in clear resin?) :-))

Rex

you probably could knock it, but in doing so you may hurt yout knuckles.  not recomended

TCC

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:02 pm »

OK Lads, I know TCC has been having a "pop" at me here and there, do not turn this in to another Mayhem argument please!

The" boy"  TCC, Is obviously confused, I am not the only maker that leaves a waste strip and as has been said by others, why should it need to be cleaned up if it is going to get cut off anyway?

I suggest you re-read my post as a question... 'Is that a waste strip along the top? as it looks too rough to be part of the hull proper'

I swear to god it must be the fumes...

TCC... who's gone to find a life.

TCC

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 02:11:01 am »

Why are you so touchy? it's a waste area that gets cut off, why throw the toys out the pram?

.... and what's with the having a pop crack? If ypoou're selling goods to people, you should be able to stand behind them 100% and be able to defend your output... not attack anyone who dares mention the 'rough' word. Frankly, it's looks rough as it's a trick of the light... I can see that.... it's a biot that gets cut off so it doesn't need to be smooth, I can see that. I can't understand why a seemingly innocuous comment lit the touchpaper.

But I think the reactions says a lot about you. Is this how you behave whenever you imagine unwanted 'feedback' is swirling about your output? It says loads about you, buddy.

DARLEK1

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 12:49:17 pm »

like the little snipes you have been having at me matey! The 105 foot mine sweeper to mention just one!
 You can send me abusive pms all you want like you just have, I can't understand why you have got such a weed up your back side!

Paul... >:-o

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 01:11:11 pm »

OK Gents, I don't really want to lock this because it is generally a very constructive thread but can we keep the posts positive?  I would suggest that anyone with an axe to grind say thier piece via PM's rather than trying to score points in public.

Thank you.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

andyn

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »

Good call there BB.

I have nothing but positive comments about Paul's Hull he has sold me. It will keep me with something to do for a good long time. I am currently at my Grandads house and have shown him the hull, he is just as pleased as I am.

Negative comments are not needed about such a superb retailer, espescially in a thread entitled 'message of thanks'. I don't see how anyone can find fault about him, he is such a helpful and friendly gent.

Please go ahead and lock the thread if you feel the need to. I will be posting a build log anyway.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 02:52:58 pm »

Andy, turn this into the build log.

only reason I wouldn't build a sirmar is I'm probably not experience enough to tackle one, and wouldnt want to ruin it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.