Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2227 times)

farrow

Ebay!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »

Hi guys, I have decided to call it a day on buying models/kits on Ebay, I have just been suckered into buying a pile of of junk on Ebay. I was watching what I thought was two unmade Dean  model kits, the Javelin and Amazon, which where described as unmade kits, with the Deans official photo of the finished kits.
The Amazon I was outbid on and I won the Javelin, when it arrived it was squeezed into an old garden swing ball box and was damaged. The hull had the porthloes drilled right through the hull and who ever drilled it must have been drunk at the time as the holes are in a wavey line. There was two shafts and screws plus two Groupnier motors. When I went on Ebay to complain, I found an add on note, not in the original advert from the seller informing what was up for sale, so I was stumped and felt conned.
Couple of days later at Beale I was  talking to Ron Dean about this sale and can I get odd fittings of him. Funny he said someone asked a similiar question earlier about the Amazon kit!
So I thought I would let you guys know that, Ebay is certainly buyer beware and it is best to see what you are getting is what is describe correctly before commiting to buy, also warn you of my experience.
I forgot to mention there was a screwed up plan, so some time in the future I may to try to scratch build the rest of the model!!!!!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:04:47 pm »

You should get somewhere with this one, or at least it's worth a try.  One thing that eBay are supposed to respond to is reports of items that are not as described.

This item is clearly not as described.  You have nothing to loose from reporting it to eBay so give it a try.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Patternmaker

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:18:13 pm »

If you paid by paypal open a dispute at their dispute resolution council, if the item was not as described, the seller has 10 days to respond if no agreement cannot be reached you will get a full refund.
I have used this quite a few times and always got my money back, good luck

tomo55

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »

Sorry to hear about your Ebay purchase.I have been conned in the past on Ebay,It leaves a bad taste and puts you off from using it again.
I still look at what is for sale but it has been a while since I've bought anything(New Fly reels last purchase). If It keeps getting worse fewer people will use it.
As advised prior report it if you paid by Paypal.
Chris.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:08 pm »

I allways buy and sell on Ebay .The thing that I allways do is wait until the last moment to bid simply because the seller cant suddenly change his or hers listing especially in the last hour,and if the listing has been changed since you put a bid on said item,and you can prove it then you have a case.If you bid on the item and did not read any add ons well sorry but it is a sad case of buyer beware

Stav

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

eBay can be a minefield at times. If I'm watching an item I always bombard the seller with questions, it is amazing what you can find out about an item that isn't listed on the item description. I have caught people out several times with this approach and saved myself a ton of money and hassle to boot. I will also never bid on an item which won't let me pay with Pay-pal. Pay-pal can be it's own monster at times, but if you are buying something it is the safest way to bid. I have also had refunds from Pay-pal for items I complained about, so it is worth trying, the worst that will happen is they say no.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:16 pm »

I have bought at least three unmade kits off eBay, and all of them have been absolutely perfect - maybe I'm just lucky :}
I've also sold things and it is amazing some of the questions you get asked!!!! Just sold a midi-awning, this fits all caravans, but 3 people asked what size van is it for! I wouldn't care, there were loads of awnings like mine for sale all with photos (mine didn't have a photo) which they must have seen when coming across my ad!

Barrie

Damien

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:42:45 am »

Ebay can be a minefield for buyers and sellers. Especially for sellers, I sell Ultra bright leds in 3mm and 5 colour flashing leds in 5mm I have worked hard to achieve 100% rating with 1047 feedback. I gave up selling Internationally as i was scammed too often, I have only had one item lost in mail and that was because i'd got the post code wrong.
The latest scam seems to be buyers saying parcel arrived but nothing inside, I know there was, to keep the 100% all i can do is send a second lot.
Theres not a lot a seller can do a buyer has 4 choices for leaving feedback Positive, Neutral, Negative and none, and a seller has 2 choices Positive or None.
As Stavros does when buying I also snipe in the last 15 seconds with the highest bid i'm prepared to pay for an item simply because i can.
However from a sellers point of view it stinks Items sit on display for 10 days with multiple views and many watchers only to get few sniping in final 30 seconds.
I believe this inhibits a seller getting a fair price at auction, however sniping is so ingrained now that the leds i sell as buy it now only and with 5 packs availabe for purchase, also usually sell in the last minute of the listing.

Stavros, it is my understanting a listing can't be changed after the first bid is placed or within 12 hours of auction end.

I honestly think New Zealands Trade-it auction site has a much better system, where an auction dosen't finish until 5 minutes after the LAST Bid is placed, Giving an item a chance of gaining a true price rather than going to someone using a snipe engine to beat other sniper in the last seconds.
Damien.   "stepping of soap box" lol     

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:23 am »

Hi damien you can change a listing up to an hour before it ends BUT it would be a dammed sight fairer if that you could NOT revise your listing at all.
If they did it that way many people would not be scammed as easily

Stav

Damien

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:22:33 am »

True however i've occasionally needed to add to a listing after finding i'd left details off the original listing that would ber helpful to buyers in making a choice to buy or not. I'm always careful to not get an Item not as described dispute too many traps for sellers but it funds my modelling.
Damien.

Damien

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:11:59 am »

There must be different rules in Europe, as Ebay Australia rules state Adding to or revising a listing can only be made before a bid is placed and isn't ending within 12 hrs.
link here  http://pages.ebay.com.au/sell/activities.html

Damien.

farrow

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:23 pm »

Hi Fellahs,
Seems I hit some raw points here, but no I think I will buy in future odd fittings etc on Ebay but leave kits and made ma=odels to where I know the parties concerned, as they say once bit twice shy. But thanks everyone for your comments.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.