Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you identify my Tug?  (Read 2868 times)

CJ1

Can you identify my Tug?
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone out there who can help me identify the original tug on which my model is based (if one actually existed)? She is round stern, so not a TID but otherwise similar vintage.

I made it 40 years ago as an "apprentice piece". I think it is from a Harold Underhill plan, but I have lost the details. I have got her out to refurbish as she is a bit sad now. ("Seccotine" was a good glue in it's day, but hasn't stood the test of time!)

She is a bread and butter hull, Bassett-Lowke boiler and two Stuart Turner steam engines geared together to turn the 3 inch prop. I never got round to fitting radio control, in it's day the boiler was enough to scare the life out of me. She is about 30 inches long and the colour scheme is an invented one based on paints I had at the time.

Chris

dave301bounty

Re: Can you identify my Tug?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:39:30 pm »

That,s a crakin lookin tug for it,s age .that stuf you called  seccotine ,whats the modern name ,,ive heard it used and it has a good name .or has it .

CJ1

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »

Dave,
Thanks, Seccotine was an animal glue, horse or fish I think. I used it for all the woodwork except the hull. It was good to work with but seems to have dried out over the years, and a lot of the panelling has come cleanly away. At least it will be easy to re-glue.
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

looks very impressive chris

rich

CJ1

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:46:21 pm »

Hi everyone,
I've been told that my model is not based on any one boat, but is maybe a generic small lighterage tug found on the Thames, and also very similar to the steam tug KERNE, now kept on the Mersey.
Thanks to Pete at www.thamestugs.co.uk for his prompt and knowledgable help.
Chris

CJ1

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:06:07 pm »

Dear Martin,
This has solved this problem for me, thank you. This topic can be closed now if it will free up space.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.