Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Typhoon FD272  (Read 36076 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boston Typhoon FD272
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2009, 12:46:30 am »

Alan...excellent photography here  :-)) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ronkh

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2009, 06:34:02 am »

I agree. Very nice.   :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:55 am »

Alan.....your .jpg could be considered as a good contender for the Model Boats photography contest prize..........see the postings under seperate cover @ Mayhem .......Derek  :-))

"Website Photographic Competition Summer 2009.

Paul Freshney and I have been giving some thought to having a Website Competition for registered members. We did not just want to have a simple lottery but something which would showcase the best of model boat building and stimulate discussion on the Forum which we can all learn and benefit from. So, after a bit of head scratching, we have decided to have a photographic competition. Most people have access to a digital camera these days so just about anyone who wishes should be able to enter.

The twist will be that the winning photograph will be the one which looks most like a real ship as opposed to a model!

Closing date for entries will be Friday 31st July 2009 and the winners will be announced shortly afterwards.

So just start posting your photos below and good luck!"

Colin Bishop
Website Editor

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Alan Duggan

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

Thanks Guys for the comments, Derek i have looked for the competition but cannot find it. Would you be able to point me in the right direction and ill submit the image.

Thanks
Alan

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2009, 11:16:01 am »

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Alan Duggan

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2009, 07:27:10 pm »

Thanks i have submitted the photo.

Poul

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 12:21:38 am »

hi alan and the rest of you bt fans,
watched both these models go for grabs on ebay and hey did you to lads get a bargen.
Ok  who i am i, my names Poul and i live in Immingham one of the lagest ports in uk but more to the point i lived in Grimsby and my dad was the danish interpenter for all the snibbys that use to dock there. ( got a model of one of these) I remember my uncle was the skipper of a few trawlers, so fishing is in my blood. so when i decided to get back into model boating what did i want to build. YEPP the bigest trawler i could find. So a big thanks gose to mountfleet models (www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/boston-typhoon.htm) for giving us boat builder a great model. iam in the first stages of building the BT. Took me ages to glue down rhe main deck and the well deck, this being i needed to get the water line right with the ballest. .Even brought a great big paddling pool  to test the ballest out. now the grandkids love me im no longer grumpy gramps but captain gramps. love all the photos posted here gives me lots of idea how my BT will look when finished, keep up the thread cos it certainly help me on building mine . just a thought how much weight have you added for balast  alot of mine is removable poul,

Alan Duggan

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:57 am »

Im unsure on the weight. I know there is an old 6v battery in there and 13 small pieces of lead if i can get them out i will weigh them and let you know.

Kepp us posted on your build.

:-))

bulerthebishop

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »

My Typhoon has 3 12v batteries, one for power the other two for ballast.  It also has a couple of pounds of lead shot directly under the prop shaft in a 'poly' bag. 

It could come down a bit in the water, or could it?, comments welcome

Poul

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

hi brian
like the the washing hanging out to dry nice touch there brian. plus good weathering on yours.

I have lead lined the bottom of mine with lead an then i have some lead pipeing that i have flattered and shaped. so i can slide them in and out of the boat. will get some photos on ASP.

poul

Poul

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »

my BT at present
bt1 taking shape
bt2 1st sea trials
bt3 2nd sea trails finding the water line
bt4 removable lead balast lay out
bt winch ready for painting

Alan Duggan

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »

Looking great Poul keep us posted on your progress

Poul

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2009, 07:31:59 pm »

hi alan
just fitted all the bulk walks on the main deck and now comming up tp the well deck.
could do with a couple of close up pics of your well deck to get the feeling as how all the scupper plates and the shroud plates lay. theres not much refrence to the well deck in the manual.
cheers poul

Alan Duggan

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2009, 08:40:44 pm »

Hello Poul,

All my scuppers are sealed shut. Here are some images. Hope they help.

Poul

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2009, 10:55:50 am »

hi alan
it was the scupper plates in the well deck the ones that have the holes in them do they lay on top of the decking. the other one is the shrooud spacer bars for the rigging how was it fitted to the side . dose it look like the side was drilled and the shroud fitted or just glued by the two pins

Alan Duggan

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:56 pm »

They just sit on the decking.

For the spacer bars it doesnt seem any drilling was done so i expect they was just glued.

bulerthebishop

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2009, 07:36:41 pm »

The scuppers on my Typhoon are open, usefull for letting any splash water on deck escape.

Poul

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »

hi alan
got the butt straps sorted now.
 just trying to get the fore castle some where near then i can spray the black on
 and get cracking with the houseing

Alan Duggan

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2009, 08:42:55 pm »

Thanks for the update Poul, she is looking great. I see you have mounted a speaker in the bow aswell :)

Are you going to add a smoke unit ?

Poul

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2009, 12:33:46 am »

hi alan
yes got the smoke gen and the steam sound system and the motor and the speed controler last month.
also looking if i can use a mp3 play though the speaker, then go down to grimsby docks and get  the seagulls sqauking
now that would be an nice sound as she sails pass you.
what size lettering has been used on yours will order mine from cornwall modling also get the viiynal white strip
poul

Alan Duggan

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2009, 08:12:41 am »

I will let you know this evening Poul when i get home from work.

What type of smoke unit have you got ?

Poul

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:43 pm »

hi alan
got the 12v graupner for it also put one in this but havent tried it out doors yet

Alan Duggan

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »

Evening Poul,

The lettering is half a centimetre in width and just over half a centimetre in height.

Poul

« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:15 pm »

hi alan
today got the boat sprayed. i see early on in the thread  brain and your self was wondering about your water lines.
on my plans the water line is 3" down from the stern and 5 1/2" inches down from the bow.
just waiting for the paint to dry out now.
is yours just red oxide red on the bottom  been varnished or has it been sprayed red paint ?.
 poul

bulerthebishop

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:32 pm »

Poul,  my Tyhoon's waterline is 4 1/2" down from the bow and 3" from the stern.  Red Oxide has not been varnished, red oxide primer is the nearest I can think off to the colour used on the real thing.  You might have to decide if you want the waterline to show the boat with a full hold of fish, or running light on it's way to the fishing grounds. There are some good pics on www.hulltrawler.net of boats returning from the fishing grounds (good close-up of Arctic Invader docking) so you can judge where waterline should be.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.