Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IE8.....?  (Read 7739 times)

das boot

IE8.....?
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:02:18 am »

Internet Explorer 8...is it worth downloading it? I have IE7 on my laptop, but just had the email to tell me to download IE8, wondered what you guys think of it?

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: IE8.....?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:09:12 am »

It works OK.  Some minor differences in appearance.  Underneath it might be as wonderful as MS say it is.  Who knows?  I haven't seen any reported problems with updating.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:10:11 am »

Don't - it has "xxxxx" my pc no end

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:13:14 am »

Without wanting to open up an old argument, I have ditched IE of whatever description - it was soooooooo sloooooow - and am now a satisfied user of Mozilla Firefox.

Rick

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:45 am »

Rich,
If IE7 is working fine......Don't do it.....I know of several people, including myself who have had problems with it to such a degree that we have moved away from IE totally....

You will end up going "round and round" in circles!! :-))

Barry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:12:55 pm »

I downloaded it a month ago. No real problems and it has an IE7 compatibility mode which can be applied to any websites which don't display properly. The only quirk I have found is that the HTML Cute Editor used to post articles on the Model Boats website (and which is widely used elsewhere) inserts images at the top of the editing box and you then have to manually move them to where you want them to go. Under IE7 the images could be inserted wherever the cursor was. This is apparently being looked into. The problem doesn't occur in Firefox but I get a lot of text formatting problems instead so I still stick to IE. OK, it's plain vanilla but it does the job and works OK with most things.

Personally I think browsers are just a matter of taste and what you feel comfortable with. Others may justifiably claim to be much quicker than IE but in practice you may not notice it because the actual downloading speed of web pages is governed more by your internet connection and other factors to do with your PC setup.

Each to his/her own.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:14:55 pm »

I Use Ie 7 & 8 and Firefox.
Ie 8 is still a work in progress but looks good but don't install it unless you need to.
 (Some sites still don't work well with it eg, HP support.)

My preferred browser is Firefox, not elegant, not the best but the fastest and highly customisable.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »

One of my computers has IE8 on it and I have found no problems.
The other one has Firefox on it, no problems with this either though do have occasional ones on Mayhem.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:07:28 pm »

I have IE8 on Windows 7 which am I playing with. Seems to work OK, but like all MS stuff, it thinks it knows best what you want and should do %% I prefer Firefox at the moment seems easier to control, but I also like Google Chrome. Not tried that under Win7 yet.

Win7 is quite impressive - I've never updated to Vista - and I think I could get it to work as I want, so have decided to put off buying a new PC until it is available on general release.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

There is an item in this month's PC Pro magazine which says that if you are running the Win7 Beta you not be able to upgrade directly to the final version. You must uninstall it and upgrade from XP or Vista. Apparently there is some sort of workaround but it entails a bit of technical knowledge - I expect Martin will know how to do it.  ;)

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »

Not me, I'm firmly in the anti Vista camp.  >:-o
I only run XP SP3.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »

ooer missis...don't like the sounds of all this techie stuff. My laptop came with Vista preinstalled and everything associated with it, I'm not overkeen on it, it seems to do what it thinks I want to do, not what I want it to do at times.

I use a 3 remote dongle thingie for my internet connection, it took a lot of fumucking about to get it to work properly (the laptop is an O2 branded Samsung, and was set up for an O2 dongle) and I don't really want to have go through THAT again, so I reckon I'll leave things well alone.

Thank you gentlemen, for all the comments and information, I'll go along with the the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....

Ta

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »

I've just bought a new laptop and my beef isn't with Vista but with the huge amount of limited trial software that came pre installed and occupied a huge chunk of the hard disk. It took me most of one afternoon to clear out the obvious dross and I'm still left with a lot of stuff I'm not totally certain whether it's safe to delete.

And then of course the wireless thingy inside did not like my rather oldish home network router which meant that the router firmware had to be updated. This introduced a bug which hid my original router username and password and wouldn't let me in to reconfigure it. This entailed a factory reset to default settings some of which I had to exhume from some three year old documentation I'd forgotten about. Then the password locked up again when I tried to change it from the default (another bug) which meant yet another factory reset and reconfiguration. After all this I managed to get the router, my home PC and the new laptop all recognising each other's existence and connected to the internet.

And then my daughter came home and switched on her PC upstairs - "Dad! I'cant get online...."   >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Colin

das boot

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »

Whatever did we all do before these things were invented?

Rich

andygh

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 05:33:02 pm »

Dumped IE8 months ago, too many glitches, Firefox kept losing all my favourites so that was removed also, Chrome was useless. IE7 works well for me so no reason to change.

Vista & XP are almost impossible to network on a hardwired system, gave up the losing battle. A wireless router is the way forward if you need to network these two OS's

warspite

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:34:16 pm »

noticed some increase in speed when switching to EI8, the pc's at work are no more than 18 months old running vista from the begining, i have a theory that every thing is logged and user undeletable, every action in a browser adds a little more checking to the list so when they introduce a new O/S or IE then it wipes this log and the browser & O/S runs as fast as when the old browser & O/S did, giving a better speed tricking the unsuspecting into thinking it's better - but then I am paraniod  :((

I cannot understand why after all the downloads and security patches, when they introduce an SP1,2,3 etc they do not download a tool that removes all these patches etc as they are usually included in the SP anyway - or is this part of the system to clog up your pc with unneccessary clutter  >:-o I mean what can you delete that does not seem to be undecipherable.

I just found after the last set of downloads, that my pc gained i think about 400MB if not more (i actually estimate some where in the region of 10GB) netware 3.5 or summat etc  and even then the genuine windows notification would not load, had to download it from their web site to get it to install.

So sorry to rant on  >>:-(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »

Win7 is quite impressive - I've never updated to Vista

My middle son, who is in IT (officially a Systems Solutions Architect, whatever that means  :o ) is running the pre-release version (the one after the Beta version) of Windows 7 and tells me he is very impressed with it. His comment was, "It's everything Vista was supposed to be, and more". My biggest gripe with Vista is its lack of backwards compatibility with much of our software, and it appears that Win 7 has addressed that issue.

Peter.

andygh

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:14 pm »

"It's everything Vista was supposed to be, and more".

Funny, that's what microsoft say every time a new OS is released, shame they can't make the present OS everything it's supposed to be  <*<

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:35 am »

Too true, andygh, MS have regularly released buggy software onto an unsuspecting public far too often. Maybe, just maybe, they've got it right on this occasion .....only time will tell. My information is that Win 7 is not due for general release until October.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 06:35:04 am »

I know for a fact that there are people at microsoft who have XP on their computers at work.
Why?

They don't rate Vista. At all!
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 08:23:19 am »

I'd give anything if anyone could tell me how to remove the pre-installed Vista OS from a new PC. It's an Acer X3200 and I don't know how to get around Acer's protection dodges when I try to install XP-pro. Vista just reports with a blue screen of death telling you that you cannot remove Windows. It won't even let you do a reformat, and no amount of messing with the BIOS does any difference. The PC goes through the initial boot-from-cd routine, looking like the XP s/ware is actually loading, then suddenly hangs at the same blue screen - every time.
Oddly enough it's easy to remover Vista from an Acer laptop, yet from a X3200 it just won't budge.
Suggestions PLEASE, anyone?

Mr Rich, I'm not really a fan of any particular broswer. I have used Firefox, IE8, etc., but they're all just as stiff as each other. IE7 is my choice of weapon for no reason other than it's always there, bundled free with just about every version of Windows. Contrary to the stuff being bandied around, I've noticed it runs a heck of a lot smoother than most other browsers around - even more so when the operating system in not Vista.
Since you asked, my thoughts would be to stay with the devil you know. If IE7 works for you, why fix it?

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 08:40:43 am »

Too true, andygh, MS have regularly released buggy software onto an unsuspecting public far too often. Maybe, just maybe, they've got it right on this occasion .....only time will tell. My information is that Win 7 is not due for general release until October.

Peter.

And how long after that will the first service pack be. ?

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:53 am »

Sorry - I've deleted this post - should have read the original more carefully before I replied  >:-o  " It's an Acer X3200 "

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »

There is an item in this month's PC Pro magazine which says that if you are running the Win7 Beta you not be able to upgrade directly to the final version. You must uninstall it and upgrade from XP or Vista. Apparently there is some sort of workaround but it entails a bit of technical knowledge - I expect Martin will know how to do it.  ;)

Colin

That is correct, but I'm running Release Candidate 1 on a separate partition. I will only switch to Win7 when I buy a new computer. Even if I didn't buy new and wanted to update, I would do a 'clean install'. A lot of problems with Vista were due to updating from XP.

Win 7 will have an XP mode, but only if your PC hardware supports virtual mode.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 01:42:41 pm »

PMK

Have you tried reformatting your hard disk to remove any Acer partitions which may be there ' to allow to to easy recovery '? If you do that you should be able to install XP, unless your copy of XP is not a full retail version - in other words if it was shipped with a PC. If it was, its probably locked to that PC manufacturer or even model.

Hope this helps,

Barrie

I'd give anything if anyone could tell me how to remove the pre-installed Vista OS from a new PC. It's an Acer X3200 and I don't know how to get around Acer's protection dodges when I try to install XP-pro. Vista just reports with a blue screen of death telling you that you cannot remove Windows. It won't even let you do a reformat, and no amount of messing with the BIOS does any difference. The PC goes through the initial boot-from-cd routine, looking like the XP s/ware is actually loading, then suddenly hangs at the same blue screen - every time.
Oddly enough it's easy to remover Vista from an Acer laptop, yet from a X3200 it just won't budge.
Suggestions PLEASE, anyone?

Mr Rich, I'm not really a fan of any particular broswer. I have used Firefox, IE8, etc., but they're all just as stiff as each other. IE7 is my choice of weapon for no reason other than it's always there, bundled free with just about every version of Windows. Contrary to the stuff being bandied around, I've noticed it runs a heck of a lot smoother than most other browsers around - even more so when the operating system in not Vista.
Since you asked, my thoughts would be to stay with the devil you know. If IE7 works for you, why fix it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.