Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE8.....?  (Read 7742 times)

catengineman

Re: IE8.....?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »

regarding getting rid of vista

not sure if this will work unless you may have to make your own start up disc

Have you tried "fdisc" then delete the active partition and make a new one then format that partition, then on boot up have the CDrom as boot priority with the XP disc inserted and run start up /install

just a thought I know it works from windows 95 and right up to XP inc 2000 and millennium but not sure about vista as I am happy with mine (at the moment) but I did get a backward XP installation disc when I purchased the new laptop just in case I could not get on with vista (not used yet!)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 06:08:33 pm »

Since I switched over to IE8 I have noticed that, if you want to make a long text post, once you get beyond a certain word count the text stops scrolling upwards as you type. The new text goes in but you have to manually scroll up the editing window to see it. It's not something you would normally encounter as most posts are fairly short textwise but I have noticed it a couple of times recently myself and I don't remember it happening under IE7.

IE8 also seems to affect the HTML editor used to put text and images into the Model Boats website forum posts as well and I think the people who provide the "Cute Editor" are working on the problem.

Anybody else noticed it?

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 10:43:49 pm »

I thought it was me pressing a wrong button

R,   :embarrassed:

OMK

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 08:04:51 am »

Cat', tnx for your input, re: removing Vista. FDISK would certainly remove the partition... if only the C:\ partition was not protected (Acer has somehow prevented any attempts at removing Vista from this particular PC model). In a desperate attempt I installed Linux/Ubuntu, in the hope that I could remove it from there. But no Joy. I read that I need to burn an ISO image of Win_XP (along with all the appropriate drivers) to a DVD. Once that's done I simply bung the DVD in the drive and boot from there. Sounds easy, but I'm having trouble getting the image to burn.
There are too many issues with Vista that just aren't compatible with some of my s/w. Even the graphics driver is full of Vista bugs (especially when using MS Paint), and no amount of updating drivers seems to cure it.
The X3200 uses a SATA drive, and, apparently, the Win_XP disc cannot recognise it, hence it keeps crashing with that blue screen of death.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

If you can't delete the partition (you can with Partition Magic), a new HDD shouldn't be too expensive. PC Guru son tells me that you can install from the XP CD onto a PC that only has SATA drive(s). This PC only has SATA drives! I'll ask him if there are any tricks to it when he comes home from work and let you know.

Let's get rid of that Vista rubbish and set your PC free!  %%

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

OMK

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »

Thank you, Andy - appreciate it.
For the record, I recently installed XP on my bro's PC, without a glitch, and that too has four SATA drives. Regarding your suggestion of a new HHD, I don't particularly want to take that route since this machine is just a couple weeks old and cost more than I wanted to spend already. I know that it's possible to install XP on a SATA, only I just don't know how it's done on this machine. Acer have done all they can to protect any attempt at removal of Vista via all the usual routes.
I made a Vista boot disk which at least give me acces to the DOS prompt, but even from there the protection thing is still overriding the Format and Fdisk commands. I do have a version of Partition Magic, but (you guessed it) is not compatible with Vista, neither will it run on its own from the DVD drive.

I'm starting to wonder if the DVD drive is working correctly. It plays discs without any problem but appears not be recording. Either that or I'm doing something wrong. I'm using Nero to burn the ISO but it keeps coming back with a report that the disc cannot be verified. Looking at the disc itself shows that nothing at all has been burnt/recorded.

I would be grateful for any other suggestions that you or your son may have.

craftysod

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »

PMK
Have you formatted the disc,before burning.
Some discs regardless of what they say,just will not play,try another brand
Mark

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »

Hello,

My DVD/CD Drive will not play or record onto the Purple/Blue coloured discs.
Only works with the "clear" ones.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

OMK

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. Although the discs were pre-formatted when purchased, I did format the CD again and finally managed to burn the ISO file (the underside of the disc clearly shows a difference where the burn took place). Booting the PC with the disc in the drive now presents a screen whereby I'm prompted to either start Vista or perform a memory diagnostic -- nothing with the option to load XP.
Maybe the ISO didn't copy correctly, or maybe I'm still doing something wrong.

JayDee, the DVD discs' have 'TUFF' written on the front orange label, coloured purple/blue on the underside. I'm computer illiterate, thought all DVDs were the same purple/blue colour. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your clear ones?
Although, for the record, I did manage to make a bootable/working version of the Linux ISO, so perhaps my particular DVDs are good after all.
(Neat Wicksteed video, by the way).

Knowing what I know now I don't think I would have been so quick to purchase Acer's X3200.

warspite

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »

Try these guys, like this forum you can join for free,

They may be able to answer the questions for this specific machine

hope it helps

http://forums.techguy.org/

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 12:27:45 am »

Wouldn't you rather boot the computer using the XP disk rather than try to make your own boot disk?

With the XP disk in the coffee cup holder, switch the computer off, and then on again.  You will have to set the bios to boot from the coffee cup holder drive reference (usually hit F10 at the prompt when booting to access bios).  Once XP has loaded all of its files into memory you should be able to run fdisk.  Normally you need a minimum mandatory partition for the OS configuration files (apart from any other partitions that you may want to configure).

Once fdisk has run, format each partition and install XP on the c:\ partition.

The bios will need to be re-set to boot from the c:\ drive once XP is installed.

Simples...

(I've never come across an OS that was protected against deletion)

BTW - have any of you guys had a look at www.comparethemeerkat.com - hilarious...

Malc

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 06:21:41 am »

BTW - have any of you guys had a look at www.comparethemeerkat.com - hilarious...

Malc

I like the TV ad as well.

Barrie

OMK

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:53 am »

Malc, to answer your question, yes - I would rather boot from the XP disc, rather than make one with an ISO image. But like I said in a previous post, the trouble being that Vista (or Acer) has somehow put a block on XP overwriting Vista. I can go into the BIOS and set the first boot option for the DVD drive, or I can press F12 from boot-up in order to get a menu and select the boot order from there. Either way, XP begins its usual startup procedure, then suddenly quits with a blue-screen warning and freezes the computer.
Like you, I have never come across a protected OS before. But this one has got me beat. Removing Vista from my laptop was easy... only not so easy on this desktop PC.
I read somewhere that I need to burn the original XP files as an ISO image (including all relevent drivers on the ISO) and then boot the PC from the ISO. Creating the ISO is the easy part, but getting the PC to recognise that ISO isn't. The strange thing is that the PC boots fine from a Linux ISO (a startup menu offers me the option to run Vista or Linux), but no such menu when booting from the XP ISO.

OMK

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 10:39:08 am »

Thanks for the link, Mr. Warspite. I've been up most all the night trying to glean any info' from there. It seems that the X3200 is still a relatively new kid on the block and, as such, few have even heard of it, let alone know of a possible fix.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 11:47:24 am »

You cannot load XP on to a hard drive that is already has Vista installed full stop. In other words you cannot load an older system onto a drive that already has a newer system installed, it will not work.

The best way around this is to purchase a new hard drive for the laptop and install XP on that. Alternatively, you might be able to format the existing hard drive via another computer so that it becomes another drive on that machine, and then format it in the usual manor.

Should you obtain another hard drive, you can always use the older one as an external drive by purchasing an enclosure and again formating it as I have described above.

I would advise that if you do go down this route that you purchase a  high capcity hard drive and divide it into two or three partitions, so that you can have XP, Windows 7 which I believe is very good - so far and Linux if you wish. You should, really, also keep all your pictures and important documents on external drives as well.

LB

The long Build

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 11:54:19 am »

You cannot load XP on to a hard drive that is already has Vista installed full stop. In other words you cannot load an older system onto a drive that already has a newer system installed, it will not work.

LB

Can you not just wipe the hard drive and start from scratch ?

is this of any use
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/install-windows-xp-on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-computer/

OMK

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »

You cannot load XP on to a hard drive that is already has Vista installed full stop.

Appreciate your input, but if that is the case then how come I manged to do so on my lappie? I've even done the same on several other Vista-loaded PCs without any problem.
Purchasing a separate HDD is not the answer because I've already got a drive with more than enough capacity to shake a stick at, and not in any mood to go wasting more £££ when this machine is all but fresh from the store.

Can you not just wipe the hard drive and start from scratch ?

Would love to, but if I could I would have done so already.
A million thanks for the link. Am just about to take another delve - will let you know how I get on.

warspite

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:03 pm »

Kill disk - would this application not work at resetting all the bits to 0 etc then an xp upload as described from Bios - others might recommend a better version to use

If you do reformat the disc from another computer - re position the master / slave jumper  to slave so that the other computer can overwrite the disk before trying to read it's O/S (i think)

catengineman

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

Have you got an external floppy?

Its a long shot but might just work...

Make a start diskette for Windows Millennium / 98 SE if you can get them (or have them)
 have disc in drive on switch on at prompt run fdisk then delete active partition and recreate new partition and set to active, shut down and restart then format new drive (and all partitions made)
remove floppy and insert CD change boot option to CDrom, start up at prompt install XP

as I said I may work I have reverted right back to windows 98 SE before to correct and change an OS that was not being fair (IBM machine)

R,

OMK

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 12:42:35 am »

"Have you got an external floppy?"

I wish I did. It's a top-notch suggestion and one that would solve all my problems, for sure. But, as is usual, most of my favourite s/w is now useless since the advent of these so-called modern machines. When floppy drives were king it was easy to get our PCs to sing. Then I had to upgrade just to keep pace with things. And that meant that the dear old FDD soon became obsolete.... along with my camera... my internet dial-up modem... my printer... etc, etc.
As it stands, Ive just relieved my nephew of his external HDD, so will try your suggestion from there.
Thanks a million for dropping in with some sage advice.
Same goes to Mssrs Warspite and Long build - thanks for your suggestions also. For what it's worth, I spent most all afternoon on that 'How-to' link sent by Long Build. I followed the intructions to the letter, but still no luck -- the XP disc still cannot get past that blue warning screen. I'm not sure what Kill Disk is. I'll do a quick Google search, try and download a version and try that if I get no luck with the external HDD.

Thanks once again, gents. All your advice greatly appreciated.

Message for CBR Roy from Oz:
Mate, believe it or not, but it seems that my PMs are working again. Yours came in earlier today and was able to download the s/w which you suggested. And guess what?... still no joy. Ares P2P turned out to be nothing like you described -- it's more of a sharing MP3 files sort of thing. Unless, of course, that I downloaded the wrong thing. Same thing goes for the Ultimate Vista Lite. All I got was an ISO image, which was duly burnt to a DVD, but even that didn't work.
Thanks just the same though. Really appreciate you taking the time to bung a PM my way in with your suggestions.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 02:02:22 pm »

PMK,

You have to make sure you get the free version of the program, and then select,
software and search dor Vista Ultimate, when they are listed there is the one called
lite, thats what I did and it worked perfectly................
Thats why I did it that way because otherwise you have to have a floppy drive...........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.