Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping costs,good,shipping costs bad,  (Read 1538 times)

Wasyl

Shipping costs,good,shipping costs bad,
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:02 pm »

I recently shipped a 1/6th rc model of a Kingtiger,to America,the crate,s dimensions were,1270mm x 720mm x 650mm,weight 97kg,i was quoted over £800, by Parcelforce Int,I used FedEX,they shipped it for £238 all inclusive
I also shipped a 1/20th scale Tamiya dumper truck,box size,500mm x 350mm x 300mm,weight 6kg,
GPO,s quote,£89 airmail,or £56 surface,FedEx did it for £28,Ok, I had to open an account with FedEx,but it did,nt cost anything,and they colected from my house, and 3days later the items were with the buyer,definetely a good service,

Wasyl

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shipping costs,good,shipping costs bad,
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:28 pm »

Wasyl, going back a bit, the last time I spoke to Fedex, they wanted me to spend around £1000-00 a month before they would even think of opening an account for me. I couldn't run to that, IfI was spending that level of money on shipping, I would be in a pine box as I would have worked myself into the ground!!

DARLEK1

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »

Ah! Shiiping costs, I ship stuff all the time and every time it is different, I use a company "third party" type, they are called parcel flight UK, I have found them to be the cheapest, it matters when sending abroad to some tune!

Sometimes with the big carriers I think they think of a number and triple it, at least it seams that way, Royal mail are the worst, ie, how can the same size and weight box cost twice as much the next day than the day before? This happens regularly with them.

Paul... :o

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:51:24 pm »

If you dont send enough to have an account with one of the courriers, then there are plenty of parcel consolidators arround that essentially allow you to use theirs. I use Parcels2go and Interparcel a lot.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:02:24 pm »

I've used Parcel2go - but only in the UK. I know Stavros used them to ship some yachts to the USA and was very impressed by the price and service. In the UK, you pay for a 2-3 day service with DHL, but none of mine have taken more than a day.

Barrie

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 03:20:22 am »

Wasyl, going back a bit, the last time I spoke to Fedex, they wanted me to spend around £1000-00 a month before they would even think of opening an account for me. I couldn't run to that, IfI was spending that level of money on shipping, I would be in a pine box as I would have worked myself into the ground!!

I think you,ll find,that if you applied again for an account,FedEx,s stance has changed somewhat,when i opened my account they asked me how many times would i be shipping abroad,i, told them,one or twice a month, and perhaps 5/6 times within UK,they accepted this,A friend of mine who sells a lot on ebay,opened an account last week,They never asked him how many shipments per/m or week,I think its a sign of the times,they,ll take business from who ever,they can,after all, money,s money,
to date i,ve only  sent 3 items with them,since opening my account,and one is pending,
I,ve also used parcel2go,but they have a limit on the length of the package,FedEx don,t,

Wasyl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.