Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AOL Problem  (Read 1889 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
AOL Problem
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

Anybody else on AOL been having problems with their email today (18th May). My AOL software is just freezing on my PC and when I use my laptop over the AOL website the AOL page crashes.

Colin

dan

Re: AOL Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:58 pm »

it could be something to do with you local server.  i know of quite a few servers have gone down in the past couple of days, these being in county halls across the country, which means schools, work places etc lose there connection to the internet and other resources, also servers that  have  websites connected to them have gone down as well meaning those websites can not be accessed. so it could be a possibility that a couple of the AOL servers have crashed putting a bigger work load on the ones that they have left, causing the webpage to crash. but see what other AOL user have to say.  otherwise i hate to say but it might just be your computer %) 
hope that made sense and helped a little bit  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:26 pm »

Thanks Dan but I'm using two computers off my home connection and they both have the same problem so hopefully a server problem.

Colin

dan

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »

i would wait until tomorrow to see what happens because it can take a while to sort our severs, if nothings changed by then i would contact AOL

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »

I've been battling with AOL all afternoon - horrendously slow, freezing all of the time, I thought that it was my computer...

Malc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »

Not just me then. Let's see what things are like tomorrow. In the meantime I've set myself up with a Googlemail account as a backup.

Colin

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:42 am »

Dear All,

With Aol, if you ring the Helpline and tell them the trouble, they can check your area to see if there are exchange problems. I have been through this before, and invariably it has been an exchange problem... though, when you contact BT they are very reluctant to admit they have a Broadband problem.

One of the fast-track routes to see if there is a general fault is to contact your nearest 'small/private' PC shop that sells/builds PC's. They are an invaluable source of such info. as their clients get in touch with them very quickly.

BT has the nasty habit of looking after their Broadband customers first, with all other ISP's having to wait for BT get round to their systems (as proved around here last time).

There seem to be changes/mods. being made to exchanges around the country at the moment, and areas in turn seem to have been affected one way or another.

Regards, Bernard

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:51:03 am »

Bernard

I've had my AOL account since AOL bought out Compuserve in the UK in 1997 so I have a fair amount of experience with them.   I also fully appreciate from bitter experience how difficult both AOL and BT are to deal with, having previously had a BT Highway account (the forerunner of broadband) from the mid 1990's.

Most of the time, AOL is functional.  I'm sure that there are better (and cheaper) ISP's out there, but I do have six personalised E-mail account names from the early days that I would be reluctant to lose by changing ISP's.

The fault yesterday was probably server based, and was common to AOL users throughout  the UK (I've checked).

Malc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:46 am »

Mine seems to have resolved itself too. I was prompted to load a security patch when I logged on. Like Malc I have had the account for years and a lot of people have my addresses so I don't want to change them. I have however taken the precaution of setting up a Googlemail account as a backup.

Colin

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:20:53 pm »

Dear Colin & Malc,

I have been with Aol for what might be a year or so over 18 years now! Heavens, didn't realise how long until I just worked it out!!! %% On the whole, I have been satisfied with their system. Yes, it has glitches, but so does everything else from time to time.

There were probs. around here about a month ago, and things had not been 100% for about a month (slower than normal, freezing, and Not Responding). Nine times out of ten this is BT and one of their exchanges, however, the Aol programme can be a little touchy sometimes, and if this is noticed, it can pay to reinstall to set things right. I have discovered a programme that cleans not needed Aol files out, and it does seem to work and it did clear lot's of Aol files that had been superseeded (empty but on the system), and everything works ok (mind you, I did cross everything when I pressed delete all!!!).

Can't say I noticed anything untoward with Aol this last two weeks... here anyway. It is always easy to tell when Aol is busy... things just slow down a touch. I have to say that I have always found the helpline very good, and they are always very patient and helpful, and nothing is any trouble... so this in my books gives them lot's of Browne points!

As to moving your screennames, this can be done if you spoke to them very very nicely. There is a special email address ID code you can ask for to do this (can't lay my hands on what it's called at present, but I have it somewhere), that means you can take your email address with you - or at least switch a couple of them anyway - they don't have to do this, but I am sure if spoken to very nicely they would oblige.

All in all I think they are a good ISP.

Regards, Bernard

benboat

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:44:10 pm »

Hi Colin ,
              I had to contact AOL yesterday as my router went off ,and after AOL fixed it he told me to be patient as they were having some problems and the site was responding very slowly if at all , and he was right but all working excellent today.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:58 pm »

Yes, I've not had any problems today. I know AOL gets a lot of flak but I've always found it to be pretty reliable and I've heard horror stories about other providers. I did do a reinstall yesterday and managed to wipe out my saved emails  :o but I managed to find the backup and got them all back again!

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:29:43 pm »

I stayed faithful to AOL for nearly 5 years,but enough is enough,ever since they were taken over by The Carphone  Warehouse,they went haywire,more so than before,I too suffered from frozen screens,and the every day "AOL not responding"or the screen freezing at the most critical time,"last second bid on ebay"so i cancelled my contract and have went with a company called  xln telecom,their a good bit cheaper,

Wasyl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.