Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mk9 Oerlikon Bandstand in a Fairmile D  (Read 5878 times)

FrankM

Mk9 Oerlikon Bandstand in a Fairmile D
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:18:50 am »

OK all - here's the challenge - I'm betting (hoping ??) someone has the knowledge.....

I'm building a (almost scratch) 1/24 Fairmile D for R/C. I have John Lambert's book on the ship but there are no detailed pics / plans of the bandstand for the Mk9 Oerlikon. I must admit I don't understand how it all worked either.

Any pointers to plans and / or explanations from the those that know would be most welcome.

Frank

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Mk9 Oerlikon Bandstand in a Fairmile D
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:03 am »

Precision Controls      Glenburnie Road
               BIDEFORD
               Devon EZ39 2LW

Make the 1:24 fittings for this boat, they are available from  http://www.westbourne-models.com/#1X0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:57:41 pm »

DickyD
I have the Precision Controls bits & pieces including the Oerlikon gun.  As I said. its the "Bandstand" details / pics / plans for the Oerlikon I'm afrer.
Frank

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:06:29 pm »

Hi there Frank

If you contact Seaspray, who is a member of this here Forum  :-)) , he compiled a lot of photographs on Photobox for me on the Fairmile B - the one I built from scratch.   On there somewhere (the one's Seaspray has) there are a few shots of how I constructed the two band stands for the model.   If I remember correctly I drew, on a piece of plywood, 3 circles - one inside the other, the larger circle being the outside diameter of the bandstand. Each smaller circle in the centre corresponding to the steps down.

If you have a look at the pic attached here it may give you some idea, if you wish, give me a shout and I will do a quick scribble.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

cdsc123

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

Very well made twin 20mm Oerlikon on Mark IX manual mounting and bandstand can be seen here;

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Modellers2/Steve_Martin/1ndex.htm

I think John's method will work perfectly well, the bandstands are very similar.

FrankM

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:20 pm »

Hi John,
Thanks.  I'll see if I can contact Seaspray for the pics.  If you have the time for a "scribble" , that would be appreciated but I'd really like a scale plan from somewhere if I could get it.

Being relatively new to modelling ships like the Fairmile, I don't have an understanding of the actual purpose of the Bandstand or how it actually worked.  From the photos I've seen, it looks more like something to make life difficult with the three steps. Also, there is a lot of variation in the different pics,  eg the pics on Steve Martin's boat (thanks cdsc123) and yours.

Frank

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:52:03 am »

Frank

I may be entirely wrong, I've always assumed you stand on the lowest step to shoot at Messerschmits and the highest step to shoot at E-Boats in order to correctly control the gun at those different elevations.
p.s. Steve Martin's boat has the version you are after, John's boat has a single mounting, being a Fairmile B not a D.

FrankM

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:14 am »

Christian,
in the total abscence of any contradictory evidence, I'll go with your theory re the steps.  At least its a start in my understanding.  I wonder if there others out there who have more detailed knowledge.  I guess we would both be pleased to hear.
I'm assuming the gunner simply walked around the bandstand to line up his target.

I checked the Steve Martin pics.  There is a lot of detail on that model and I'd like to know where he found all the relevant info.

Cheers,
Frank

allnightin

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:24:02 pm »

I got to fire one as part of my naval training many years ago, and the Oerlikon is a pretty agricultural bit of kit.  Anything that makes it easier to aim is very welcome and with the Mk7A mountings that were in RN service until recently it was particularly challenging to bend yourself enough to get the muzzle high enough when tracking an AA target.  The WW2 style bandstand would have made it considerably easier I imagine.  Horizontal aiming was basically lean a bit until you had to make a step to bring the thing round enough.

As to the construction of it, there is a drawing in John Lambert and Al Ross's Allied Coastal Forces of WW2 Volume 2 page 97 that explains its construction - at least for Vosper MTBs but I am sure the Fairmile would havebeen similar.

Francis Macnaughton

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »

Hi there Frank

Have you emailed John Lambert, directly?  concerning the bandstand ????   I am sure he has drawings of various mountings and bandstands for the Oerlekon gun on different vessels.  To be honest with you, I am sure I do have the drawings for the bandstand and Oerlekon gun from John - but, at this present time I cannot find them - I am sure they are stashed along with other drawings here somewhere!

The actual construction of the bandstand is no great problem but before we go into how we make one, I think it may be best to either speak or email John Lambert.

John has been known to frequent this forum, but, only occasionally.    He is a very knowledgable man and a great guy to speak too - very helpful.

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:57 pm »

I seem to remember that the RN stepped mounting came about because they had a two man crew, gunner and loader, and that was the only way the gunner could get full elevation.

On US Navy mountings (some at least) the pedestal was adjustable for height, and a  third crew member did just that.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

FrankM

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:05 pm »

Gentlemen,
thank you for the information and explanations.  As with most things, it makes a lot more sense when we gain a little knowledge.

John,
I'll try to contact John Lambert as you suggested.  I also received the pics from Martin.  That is quite an impressive scratch build you have done there my friend.  The pics have now raised a much larger number of questions in my head. 

Frank

farrow

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:14 am »

There is a nice drawing of a Mk v twin 20mm powered mount in the book Dog Boats at War, it seems a lot of dogs carried this weapon instead of the Mk IX (and it is easier to make).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.