Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sales section  (Read 1386 times)

garston1

sales section
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:15:16 pm »

I have just read this thread in the sales section from Jonty......

QUOTE,  I have received a PM from a member saying, true or not, that another member is taking advantage of this Sales section to buy boats to sell on at a profit. I'm all for enterprise but...
  I get the feeling that members often put boats for sale here at less than their market value on the understanding that the buyer will use and enjoy the boat himself.
  May I suggest that sellers satisfy themselves that a potential buyer really wants the boat, and not just a quick buck. Not all of us can watch this section all the time. Perhaps sellers could wait, say, 24 hours for expressions of interest before accepting the first offer.END QUOTE.

Why would anyone in their right mind hold off for 24 hours, after receiving not an offer but a confirmed price to buy the boat.? What do other mayhemmers think?

barryfoote

Re: sales section
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:12:59 pm »

Private sales are private sales. the buyer does what he wants with his purchase. If that is not playing fair then I think that is just tough luck!!

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »

Couldnt agree more Footski, if anyone puts anything up for sale and accepts money, then the item is the buyers to with as he pleases.
in my own little world

knoby

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »

I also agree with footski & Rob. once the buyer owns it, its up to them what they do with it.  To my mind , its up to the seller what price they ask, as its equally up to the buyer what price they pay. I have seen a few posts in the sales section inferring that someone is trying to rip someone else off, I don't really see what people get so upset about.

just my opinion, Glenn

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:12:05 am »

We all have our own strategies for selling and our own feelings.
None are right, none are wrong.

These are my personal feelings

From a selling point of view.
I rarely accept the first offer (unless I am very happy with it). But I don't reject it either.
If offer by email or electronic means I will sit on it, without responding.
If it is by phone, I will say 'let me think about it, I will get back to you'.

Once I accept an offer, it stands.
Worst case scenario, somebody contacts me soon after and offers me ore money, but as I have already accepted an offer I am stuck.
Not accepting the first offer and waiting 24 hours would help avoid this problem, and maybe get you a better offer.

From a buyers point of view
It is frustrating to see anything on a sales board, that has been up for less than a day, that has sold before I even have a chance to login.
Especially if it is advertised, for say, $500. I would have been willing to go to $400 or $450, maybe even the asking price. And then find out later it sold for much less than $400.

But always Caveat Emptor - the buyer beware.
If I get sold a lemon, it is nobody's fault but mine. I also remember that my lemon may well have been somebody else's pride and joy.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.