Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Veritable fishing vessel production line !!!  (Read 10217 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Veritable fishing vessel production line !!!
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:12:10 pm »

i've got 5 hulls lined up to build at the moment for remote control all of them fishing vessels.
I've got the following : Maggie M ( Model Slipway full kit ) , Norina & Edwina ( 1/50th scale Metcalf Mouldings hull/plans and material packs ) , standard pattern Steam Drifter ( think its a J.P. Wood hull at 1/32nd scale with plans ) and a 36" stern trawler hull I bought off Ebay that i'll have to draw up plans for ( tempted to make it a very large scale inshore trawler / scalloper ). As well as plans for a 55' Scottish seine netter from the 1960's , Boston Blenheim ( 1/48th scale plans for the Metcalf Mouldings hull which I may buy or re-draw the plans to a smaller scale and built from scratch ) , i've got the plans for my Grandfathers last 2 trawlers at 1/48th scale ( Forward Pride A367 a 117ft motor side trawler built in 1959 in Peterhead and still fishing out of Argentina to this day and the David John A169 an 87ft Spinningdale class sidetrawler built by the John Lewis shipyard in Aberdeen in 1969 ) and i'm actively looking for a decent set of plans for a 1918 Strath Class admirality standard steam trawler ( for building the Avondee A826 my Grandfathers 1st distant water trawler ).

Also in the pipeline i've got the kit of the Revel Khandahar side trawler ( erroniously now called the Arctic Corsair ) at 1/142 ( one of which I made as a remote control model some 6 years ago but its now sitting on the bottom of the "pond" at Mussleburgh due to sinking , didn't have enough waterproofing in the hull lol ) and the 1/200th scale stern Trawler kit of the Bodasteinur from Heller which was formerly the kit of the Roc Amadeur. Both of these will hopefully be built as small scale R/C.

Non-Fishing vessels in the pipeline are a Trumpeter 1/350 Russian Sovermenny Project 956 Destroyer , a 1/350th scale model of the Battleship King Geroge V , an Academy kit of a Type 1X-B U-Boat at 1:150 ( will be surface running only ) and a Kitech model of the Russian Udaloy class Destroyer Admiral Panteleyev which is abour 30cm long overall. All will be built for R/C.

Previous R/C models i've built are the mentioned Khandahar and the wonderfull Nichimo 1/200th scale Battleship Yamato which I had to sell once my back gave out as she was just far to heavy for me to lift when she was ballasted down to her correct waterline as well as a flirtation with R/C model aircraft as a teenager when I lost a model into the sea at the beach due to a guy passing by in his car on his CB radio which blocked out the TX to the plane......SPLASH !!! the "Joys" of the early 1980's lol.

Davie Tait
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Daryl

Re: Veritable fishing vessel production line !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:38:19 am »

Hi Davie,
I have the same plans as yourself and the hull I think was from Kingston. I bought them second hand 4 years ago from a chap in Weston-super-Mud. his nephew thought that scratchbuilding was easy until he opened the box and then gave up and asked his uncle to sell it in the trade-it.

I have noticed that the plans are a bit vauge when it comes to what the trawl winch is supposed to look like, I have seen some pictures o BB on the Fleetwood trawler web site as well as some pictures of trawl winches but am a loss to know what type to fit to my boat when I eventually start building.... one day.

I have tried to contact the owners in Chile but have had no reply so that avenue is abandoned. do you happen to have any pictures plans etc of what I am supposed to fit there?

Regards
Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:05:12 pm »

The Boston Blenhem would have had a double barreled trawl winch's situated just aft of the wheelhouse on the main deck level ( if memory serves that is its been a while since I looked at the plans ). I'll see if I can dig out any photo's of similar stern trawlers to give you an idea of the winch's shape. Unusually compared to modern winch's quite a few of the original stern trawl winch's didn't have guide on gear they relied on the wire self-spreading itself across the barrel.

Right i've found a few links :

Billings winch http://aabt-collectibles.co.uk/product.php?id=1113&pcat=20

And the photo's of the stern trawler Jacinta a trawler that is from the same period of time and design http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/jacinta/in-depth/trawlwinch.htm
There will be more manufacturers that will have similar models that can be modified to work.

Davie Tait
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Ghostboat

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:21:24 pm »

It seems that you have enough work, to keep you going for quite a number of years, with the description given on your first post Dave.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 09:23:42 pm »

excellent. Thanks Davie exactly what I have been seerching or.Many thanks very much appreciated.

Regards
Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 11:16:57 pm »

It seems that you have enough work, to keep you going for quite a number of years, with the description given on your first post Dave.
Yup Ghostboat I reckon that i'm looking at 4 years to get all my RC models built as i'm going to take my time and try and put as much detail on them as is practical considering I want to use them in pretty choppy seas at times ( love taking photo's and a model in a rough sea can look like the real thing which is what i'm hoping to do ).

Daryl i'm glad i've been able to help , i've not got a huge amount of photo's of big stern trawlers ( altho I do have plenty of photo's I took on the old fishery reasearch trawler Scotia which was based on the standard style freezer stern trawlers of the 1960's, along with video of gear being worked, etc ) but I do have a pretty comprehensive set of photo's from the 1970's to the present day of most types of fishing vessels that have worked out of Scotland. I have contributed around 1800 photo's to Dave's trawlermodel website so far with another 1500+ yet to be edited for the site.

Davie Tait
www.trawlermodels.co.uk
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.