Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: two type VIIC Sheerline Sister's  (Read 5619 times)

hmsantrim

two type VIIC Sheerline Sister's
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:05:36 am »

Thought I would share my First time, sailing my new toys.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: two type VIIC Sheerline Sister's
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28:32 am »

Hi hmsantrim, nice boats, I thought I would share this tip with you. Try getting your boats up close and get the camera right down on the water level so it is looking up at the boat. Like this, it can appear as thought the picture was taken from a rowing boat rather than an aircraft. It does add a new dimension to photographing our boats as we all tend to take pics whilst standing up  and looking down at our models and subs are a particularly difficult subject to photograph.
Worth a try......
Chris

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:34:04 am »

Oh,and another thing, tray and remember to do it BEFORE you dive the boat, otherwise you end up with out of scale water droplets hanging off everything. Iobviously took that one after I had dived.. not so good.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:35:17 am »

You should enter that photo in the Model Boats mag competition!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:10:36 am »

Thanks for the compliment Martin, I have a few like that, I never subscribe to the mag so didn't know there was one running.
Having taken tons of pics of model subs, I found they are a really awkward subject photograph, so you need a completely different approach to these as a photographer. I am no photograher I might add, but I figured you have to try and look at them as a full size boat and how they would look if you were trying take a picture of one in real life. Unless you are in an aircraft, you simply wouldn't take pictures form on high.
Chris

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:33:52 am »

Here's a slightly different take on a tower, again, viewed from the perspective of someone who might, for example be stood in a dry dock looking up at the boat. This is a view which, in real life, we would not normally be able to see as we simply would never have been allowed to be there with a camera.
By the way, apologies if anyone thinks I have hi-jacked this thread , not my intention. I am in no way criticising' hmsantrims' pics, they are absolutely fine, I am only trying to pass on a little of my experience here so some chaps can try out some different angles on subs.
Happy snappin' men!  

das boot

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:16 pm »

Chris, you got any pics of the Akula? Oh...and thanks for the piece of paper which arrived today, much appreciated.

Rich

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:49:08 pm »

Hi Rich, no pics of Akula in the water, sorry mate. I have some of the original Eden boat on a stand, opened up so you can see how it is hung together if thats any good?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »

Here's one of the aft end, this is a very old boat, Eden models made this one back around 1995..ish. It still works when you chuck it in the water! I have made some slight modifications along the way, nothing drastic, the boat still retains the looks you see here but internally I made some very small changes. I do mould them all in black now as almost everyone to a man asked me for an all black one... so thats how they come now.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 11:26:29 pm »

Another angle

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:58 pm »

Sheerline Akula, Trafalgar,

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:12 pm »

A shot of the guts, I hope these are what you were looking for Rich.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 11:31:41 pm »

Ah, an all black Akula, thanks Turb. Since I started all black mouldings I have never actually taken any pics.

das boot

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 04:26:29 am »

Chris...Paul...thanks guys, excellent stuff.

Eden...there's a name from the past, love the hull scribing. That's a cylinder and a half!

Cheers all,

Rich

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:40 am »

No Rich, it's only one cylinder, I found that half cyliners leak so decided not to fit one!!!  ok2 {-)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:01 am »

hms antrim, sorry mate, we have digressed from your boats and this is your thread. Do you have any other pics or history surrounding both of those Type7's?
Chris

das boot

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »

There has to be one, don't there...     <*< <*<

hmsantrim, apologies from me as well for knicking your post...all yours chap.

Rich
(and half a Chris)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:08:43 pm »

Where did you get the "wrought" guardrail and coachlamp for the VIIC Sheerline??  (Post 6)

O0
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »

Circlip, thats a tower from a type2D, secondly, the lamp is standard fitment to all type2s post 1933 and it's NOT a coachlamp, it is known as a 'Schtandarte Lampe'. I really thought a chap of your calibre would have known that!!
A bit of naval history here:
On night time operations, an increasing number of U-Boat sailors were being lost overboard when, after sinking oil tankers, the decks became oil soaked due to cargo spillage and they were losing their footing on the slippery decks.
This was brought to the attention of the marine design teams back home and a brilliant engineer by the name of 'Heinrch Schtandart' designed these lamps to pop up when the boat surfaced, thus lighting up the decks and ensuring sailors stayed safely aboard and after approval, they began fitting them to the U-boat Type2D's
After the war, the Allies commandeered all the u-boat drawings and a sharp eyed 'techy' spotted this useful feature. Due to accute shortages and a lack of industry back home, thousands of these 'Lampen' were shipped from Germany as war reparations and converted to domestic use to become known as 'standard lamps' . That is so, so, typical of the British, got to muck about with the name!
The Chinese, ever an eye to business, nicked the whole idea, copied it and now supply B&Q with millions of them.
In one respect you are correct, when fitted in the garden, we call them 'coachlamps', when indoors, 'standard lamps' but when fitted to a U-Boat, it is always called a 'Shtandarte Lampe'.
I have to say, this was my prototype boat but I no longer fit them to the kits as there were insurmountable problems encountered with the retract mechanics and if they stuck in the upright position, would spoil the hydrodynamics of the vessel.

I try to be a stickler for accuracy you know! :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:57:41 pm »

Ja Ja Mien Herr, further research pointed me to the parts in the enigma code book which reffered to the lamps you mentioned but must have come from the American version captured submarine "U571" in Section 4 Operations, sub (sic) section 2.7.1 Surface running , minor heading :- Bulzen Kraapen.

Many thanks for pointing this out.

Regards Ian.   :-))
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.