Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Exeter - decommissioned  (Read 2098 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Exeter - decommissioned
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:05 pm »

I think it's worth noting that the type 42 destroyer HMS Exeter was finally decommissioned at Portsmouth last week after 29 years of service. Exeter was the last RN ship in commission that served in the Falklands War where she replaced HMS Sheffield and accounted for 4 Argentinian aircraft. She has given the nation good service and is a worthy successor to her forbear, the heavy cruiser Exeter in WW2 which engaged the Graf Spee and was lost in action in the Java Sea.

I had the privilege of visiting the ship twice during Navy Days and when she visited the London Boat Show and have a few souvenirs of her.

The decomissioning ceremony is described here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/type-42-destroyers/hms-exeter/news/last-surviving-falklands

HMS Exeter home page: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/type-42-destroyers/hms-exeter/

I do hope that the proud name of Exeter will be borne by another RN warship in the future.

Colin

Malcolm Reade

Re: HMS Exeter - decommissioned
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:03:44 am »

I had the privilege of visiting the ship twice during Navy Days and when she visited the London Boat Show and have a few souvenirs of her.

So that's where the ship's bell went... {-) {-) {-)

Malc

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Exeter - decommissioned
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »

It may serve to remind some of you that not all of the Falkands ships have "gone". "Fort Austin" and "Fort Grange" (now "Fort Rosalie") are still ploughing along. as is RFA "Diligence" and all of the earlier "Leaf" class tankers. The "Ols" and LSLs were only recently put up for sale / scrapping. Just shows how good maintenence and husbandry can make a ship last longer than their commercial counterparts. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.