Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor mounts for beginners  (Read 1640 times)

Shearwater

Motor mounts for beginners
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:08 pm »

Hi

I'm building a Revell Flower class corvette (like many others) but I'm new to RC models having previously made static 1/43 racing cars.  Where I'm stuck at the moment is how to specify the motor mount I need.  I have a Deans Kyte motor - how do I know if it is a 385/400 or what size mount I require?  What do the numbers mean in motors/motor mounts?

Do mounts come with screws - I presume the motor is screwed to the mount - what size screws are usually required?

Thanks

Shearwater

barryfoote

Re: Motor mounts for beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:43:08 pm »

Just buy some car body filler like P38, Wrap your motor in cling film and squeeze it into a blob of the filler, lining it up with the mount and shaft. When dry remove the cling film and you have a perfect shaped mount. Secure with rubber bands over the top, attached to hooks in two pieces of wood set on either side of the filler. Works for me with all kinds of motors..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:10:30 pm »

I used a PVC base plate and 2 plastic corner blocks (triangular) from B&Q, four short bits of dowel and a rubber band.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »

Send a pm to forum user deansmarine (for that is them) - they'll be able to answer your queries on the Kyte motor.
Electric motors have tapped holes on the front plate designed to accept small machine screws - Deansmarine will be able to tell you the exact size required for the Kyte.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.