Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spinifex yacht  (Read 1585 times)

FrankM

Spinifex yacht
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:21 pm »

*** text removed as it referred to another boat on a different thread, and so it may have caused confusion***
***This post was part of another thread originally, but it deserves a space of its own.

FrankM

Re: Spinifex yacht
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:56:15 pm »

As you have perhaps seen, these pics were originally part of my Clara May thread.  The reason I posted them there was essentially that their construction and use of timber was the same as Clara May.  I was replying to a question from Ron.  Below are a the relevant details if anyone is interested.

Essentially, the build is standard process.  I buy the timber, cut it up and glue it back together in a different shape - simple - well almost  %)

I buy the timber, normally 4" x 2", cut it into 8mm slabs on my table saw and then using a VERY fine blade (0.03"), cut 2mm planks.  Then I put an adjustable height guide (scrap wood clamped on) over my belt sander and run all the planks through.  This gives me a consistent thickness of about 1.8mm in the set of planks.  Next step is the normal plank on frame process and I add carbon fibre tape ribs about avery 8cm down the whole hull.  The masts are carbon fibre - old fishing rods.

The pic showing two identical yachts came about because a mate had his yacht stolen so I built one the same as mine for him.  The performance of the two is almost identical - they almost dance together.  More details any any yachts available for anyone interested.

Our club link is http://home.vicnet.net.au/~lryc/index.html - we have a fantastic venue for sailing.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.