Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Childhood TV programs  (Read 12854 times)

bigfella

Childhood TV programs
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:57 am »

Hi All

Sorry I have not posted for some time. After the recent state election, which my side of politics lost, I have decided to get more involved and I don't seem to have much time anymore. I still look in everyday but have not posted anything.

I have been going to youtube to show my wife, who was brought up in Australia, all the children's programs that I grew up with in the UK. Such as Watch With Mother, Bill and Ben, Mary Mungo and Midge, Captain Pugwash, Ivor The Engine and dare I say The Clangers not to mention The Wombles, Catweazle, Worzel Gumidge, Andy Pandy, Pinky & Perky and Sooty but of coarse the origanal Basil Brush was my favorite. Seeing that most of these never made it to Australia my wife is fascinated at what I used to watch. I can vaguely remember one that I can not find as I don't have the name. It involved a family of Penguins from memory and the only catch phrase I can remember is "Baby Penguin" I think in a Welsh accent????? Does anyone remember this one it was around the late sixties.

Regards David

PS

Any of Gerry Andersons creations is must view TV even today.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Childhood TV programs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:17 am »

I don't know the answer to 'baby penguin'

But I just found this when looking.
http://www.wwwk.co.uk/television/childrens-tv/60s.htm

brings back many a memory.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

bigfella

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:30:39 am »

Hi TT

Just had a look and there are some on there I had forgotten. Thanks for the link. It is amazing what memories flood back when you just see a picture of these shows. The place you lived and the friends you used to play with at the time.

Regards David

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:26 am »

"Pingu" ??????

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:45 am »

Pingu was 80s.
And I think they spoke Pingu (maybe Norwegian), I know this as my brother's baby daughter was fluent in Pingu at the age of three and they had trouble getting her to speak English. No jest.
She had watched Pingu on video everyday as a baby. :embarrassed:

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:22:40 pm »

As TT said not Pingu. It was a stop go mation along the lines of the Clangers. From memory I think the Penguins were knitted from wool???

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »

Dear Bigfella,

Re the Penguins I am sure you are right but for the life of me I can't remember!!!

However, as far as the Clangers are concerned I think they were superb... hilarious in fact even for adults. There was one 'scene' that has stood out for many years, and I wish I could see it again... this was a Moon Scene with craters, and the 'little devils' were popping out to music all over... no-one who has not seen this can appreciate how funny it was! {-) It has lived long in my memory as one of those one off classics that cannot be repeated these days as they don't have the people an skill to do it now - like the Two Ronnies and Morcome & Wise. However, the last vestiges of the old skills lie in the creators of Wallace & Gromit... long may they hold their position as the last true commedians!!! {-) O0 :-)) :-)

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:05 am »

... actually, beyond Wallace & Gromit, can any body else think of anything real Comedy on GB TV today????????????? No... because there isn't anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has been portrayed and offered for children on television this last ten years + in GB is insane garbled utter rubbish... a sign of the continuing degradation and incomprehension of proper education by those who are supposed 'to know'... and some wonder why we have the moronic infantile attitudes of certain youngsters today... oh, I add, maybe it's: ejucation, ejucation, ejucation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Heaven help is all......................

Oh well, we live in a new and better World I am led to believe... supposed to be a better one I gather....... maybe we are all supposed to think we are all better off and better ejucated?????????????????????????????

God help us all.... eh..........................???

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 12:24:32 am »

Hi David,

You're still there, then. You didn't get washed, or blown, away in the recent (very) wild weather? We were due to have a regatta last weekend with the lads from Springfield Lakes, but we had to call it off.

Peter.

andygh

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 01:03:13 am »

actually, beyond Wallace & Gromit, can any body else think of anything real Comedy on GB TV today????????????? No... because there isn't anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has been portrayed and offered for children on television this last ten years + in GB is insane garbled utter rubbish... a sign of the continuing degradation and incomprehension of proper education by those who are supposed 'to know'... and some wonder why we have the moronic infantile attitudes of certain youngsters today... oh, I add, maybe it's: ejucation, ejucation, ejucation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Heaven help is all......................

Oh well, we live in a new and better World I am led to believe... supposed to be a better one I gather....... maybe we are all supposed to think we are all better off and better ejucated?????????????????????????????

God help us all.... eh..........................???

It's your age  {-)

bigfella

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:42 am »

Hi Peter

Yes we survived the deluge here. However my Mother in law had two 30 year old Golden Pines uprooted from her place. A shame as they were planted when the house was built and they have pictures of them as nothing more than saplings. How did you fare in your area??

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:48:48 am »

David,

We had winds up to 130 kph which uprooted trees all along the coastline, tore branches off trees, blew down fences and generally caused havoc. There was one house which had its roof blown off but, remarkably, there was not a great deal of property damage. We registered over 220 mm of rain in a week, but other areas had LOTS more, exceeding 500 mm in some places. The beaches did not fare so well, with massive amounts of sand being washed away, and the frontal dunes were badly eroded. The so called Wave Rider buoy, moored 4 nautical miles off Lennox Head and which transmits wave heights to the Coast Guard tower, measured a maximum wave height of 14 metres. Waves on the beaches were up to 8 metres high.

The photo shows Shelley Beach, Ballina after the storms. The sand dunes used to slope gently down to the sandy beach, but now there is very little sand, just exposed rocks. The sand will eventually return, but it will take several years for the beaches to recover.

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:49 am »

Hi Bernard

The Clangers were one of my favorites. I think it was ahead of its time. One episode that I remember is when a space craft from Earth lands on their moon and the Clangers want to build a spaceship and fly to earth but when they see through a telescope what a war mongering and smog ridden planet we are they decided it was a bad idea. Very socially aware for its time and very entertaining. Unlike the children's programs of today especially the digital animation which is quite eary.

Peter

Looks quite devastating on the beaches. I think our Beaches had a bit of a battering and the council has already started on a replenishing program. It being our biggest asset on the Gold Coast the council is always ready to spend a lot of money on the beaches.

Regards David

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:42:41 am »

Here is a site of theme songs I stumbled across while looking for the 60s Ghost Squad theme.

There is a lot of childrens t.v. programmes listed.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/g-theme-songs.html

"Fanderson",  is Gerry Anderson's  official fan site. Was in it for many years and meet a lot of  actors.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:06:47 am »

Dear Andy,

Just a quick note before going out. I think you may be right!!!

Dear David,

Very subtle in quite a few ways. Good prog., it would probably go down well again if they re showed them from time to time. As Andy says, unfortunately age might have something to do with this!!!......................

Regards, Bernard

bigfella

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:33 am »

Just on todays kids programs The Night Garden has to be the worst. It insults the intelligence of the preschooler and quite frankly is rubbish.

Mark47

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »

As TT said not Pingu. It was a stop go mation along the lines of the Clangers. From memory I think the Penguins were knitted from wool???

Did it have anything to do with Bag puss. Or was this a little later?

Mark

warspite

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26:37 pm »

MEET THE PENGUINS 1952

Mother and Father Penguin have three children, a boy called Beesie, a girl called Boffles and a baby called Bobo. They all live in an igloo with Aunt Penelope. Every programme ended with Aunt Penelope, in her rocking chair, singing a song to the children which started: "Don't you forget".

Thought the crew from guess the boat 4 would have easily found this, I can remember Fireball XL5 by gerry anderson i think, no one else i know appears too though

found it on wirlygig

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

And the the Wooden Tops, Muffin the Mule, Prudence Kitten, Pinky and Perky, Larry the Lamb and Andy Pandy, The Magic Roundabout, Postman Pat, Paddington Bear and the many others I can't remember right now.......

LB

garston1

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »

i was more of a thunderbirds, captain scarlett, stingray, joe 90, ufo, secret service, kinda child. I think they made me into the gadgetophile i am today

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 03:21:43 am »

I remember Fireball XL5, with that demented monkey.

Who remembers (forgive spelling) Topo Gigio - The little Italian mouse.

John C

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 08:28:07 am »

I'm going to sound old now...................what about supercar, that pre-dated fireball xl5 but I doubt they'll show either again (black and white).

John C

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 10:37:15 am »

My mother said I used to love supercar, but when I saw it about 20 years ago, I had no recollection of anything.

So my earliest Anderson of remeberance is Fireball XL5.

Stingray I remember well.

And if you were into thunderbirds, and you have a sardonic and irreverant sense of humour, you will love the film/DVD
 Team America : World Police.

John C

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:34 am »

Before I moved to Yorkshire about 15 years ago now. My neighbour in London was an Anderson groupie and had videos of all the Anderson stuff, so I got to watch all the old stuff again.
Never how you recall it to be though, and I couldn't bring myself to part with £450 for the buy it now price that someone paid for a studio model of Stingray on fleabay recently (well I could, but the loss of certain anatomy when her indoors found out put me off).

John C

andygh

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 11:15:31 am »

Never how you recall it to be though, and I couldn't bring myself to part with £450 for the buy it now price that someone paid for a studio model of Stingray on fleabay recently (well I could, but the loss of certain anatomy when her indoors found out put me off).

Ha, good call  :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.