Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Speak Up, Please  (Read 7822 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Speak Up, Please
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:06:12 pm »

Hi Guys,

I've finally had to admit my hearing has got so bad that it's time for an appliance! Since it seems no one make brass ear trumpets these days, I've got to get one of these miniaturised electronic gizmos. So I'm off to Specsavers tomorrow.

Seriously though, has anyone had any experience with them? Is there anything to avoid or to watch out for? All help gratefully appreciated - but please write loudly!!

Thanks

Rick

andyn

Re: Speak Up, Please
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:18:23 pm »

I know someone who has one, seems to work ok :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:33:12 pm »

Hi Rick,

I've been profoundly deaf for most of my life and have two of the NHS' most powerful digital devices so I can be deaf in stereo! Yes STEREO!

The service from my NHS audiology unit has been really good and of course everything is free!

If your hearing has deteriorated you need to know why. Getting an aid just helps compensate for the problem, it doesn't treat it so you do need to know whether there is an underlying cause that needs to be treated rather than just advancing old age!

Also, while an aid will help you to hear, it wont necessarily restore your hearing to what it was so things will probably sound different, particularly music where you can lose much of the tonal range.

I use subtitles on the TV but I also have a set of ordinary remote radio headphones so I can listen at a level which is comfortable for me and doesn't have the neighbours reaching for the earplugs!

Whether you use the NHS or Specsavers, you will have a hearing test which will be used to generate a frequency profile. This is used to tune the digital aid to help balance up the frequencies but it frequently requires adjustment as a test room isn't the best place to test your aid, you need to use it in a normal environment. Also, despite what they say, aids still tend to be pretty omi directional and amplify just about everything around you so you will still have problems in hearing the person you are speaking to in a crowded room or meeting.

Finally, private aids are notoriously expensive! But when one of mine developed a fault recently the NHS clinic just replaced it there and then!

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:06 pm »

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW SOUNDS LIKE SHES TRYING TO TUNE HERSELF INTO THE HOME SERVICE (pre Radio One radio station for our younger listeners) WHEN SHES USING HER HI TECH GIZMOS, BUT AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO REPEAT OURSELVES ALL THE TIME, I SAID, AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO REPEAT OURSELVES ALL THE TIME.
SHE'S GOT THE STERIO ONES FROM SPEC SAVERS AND SHE'S STILL BLIND AS A BAT.
THEY WORK FOR HER.
  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Eric65

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:41:24 pm »

I also have a NHS supplied hearing aid in my right ear, didn't cost a penny and really help, especially watching telly....the wife no longer has to shout at me to TURN THAT DAMN TV DOWN, YOU DEAF G*T!

Of course, it dosn't stop her shouting at me about pretty much everything else.....

Make an appointment with your GP Rick, and he will refer you to the Audiology clinic for tests, and if he agrees with you he'll get the wheels in motion.

It takes a long time to get used to a hearing aid, but I'd not be without it.

Eric.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:06:57 pm »

My mum needs a hearing and all I can say is once assessed get a second opinion!

Certainly not all devises are equal and you need to find one that suits you (sir!)
.... and they do take a bit of getting used to.

Martin

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »

Seriously though, has anyone had any experience with them? Is there anything to avoid or to watch out for? All help gratefully appreciated - but please write loudly!!

Quarter past eight...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »

For some reason there is a significant proportion of the population who regard being deaf as a source of amusement - they are obviouly well represented on here! Unfortunately this lack of empathy is a well documented affliction and those of us who are on the receiving end do eventually develop a degree of sympathy of our own for these poor souls.

But don't worry, the time will come when you too are not firing on all cylinders in one way or another and then you will find yourself on the other side of the fence where things look a bit different. What goes around, comes around!

Don't take any notice of the "jokes" Rick, get yourself sorted out, as Eric says, you won't regret it.

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 05:44:17 pm »

I am high tone deaf, my father is profoundly deaf, my wife has severe tinatus which affects her hearing and my neighbour wears two aids. However, we have all kept our sense of humour and enjoy a harmless joke as much as the next man. There is humour in all things, in my experience some of it can be quite black, but as long as no one is being made fun of because of their condition I see no harm in it. JMO

Doug
Don't Assume Check

warspite

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW SOUNDS LIKE SHES TRYING TO TUNE HERSELF INTO THE HOME SERVICE (pre Radio One radio station for our younger listeners) WHEN SHES USING HER HI TECH GIZMOS, BUT AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO REPEAT OURSELVES ALL THE TIME, I SAID, AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO REPEAT OURSELVES ALL THE TIME.
SHE'S GOT THE STERIO ONES FROM SPEC SAVERS AND SHE'S STILL BLIND AS A BAT.
THEY WORK FOR HER.
  :-))

Is it me only, or did anyone else read this loudly in their heads - wheres the paracetomol

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 05:58:45 pm »

but as long as no one is being made fun of because of their condition I see no harm in it. JMO

Yes Doug, that is exactly the point. Shared humour is fine, being the butt of a joke by somebody who has no understanding of the situation isn't.

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »

My point was that I didn't think anybody was being made the butt of a joke here. Nuff said.

Doug

Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:36 pm »

For some reason there is a significant proportion of the population who regard being deaf as a source of amusement - they are obviouly well represented on here! Unfortunately this lack of empathy is a well documented affliction and those of us who are on the receiving end do eventually develop a degree of sympathy of our own for these poor souls.

But don't worry, the time will come when you too are not firing on all cylinders in one way or another and then you will find yourself on the other side of the fence where things look a bit different. What goes around, comes around!

Don't take any notice of the "jokes" Rick, get yourself sorted out, as Eric says, you won't regret it.

Colin
OK Colin, my emphysema is killing me and I will die a lot sooner than you, even though you are probably older than me. If you think I was taking the p*ss out of the hard of hearing please feel free to take it out of my illness as I am past the stage of getting stroppy when it is mentioned and I do have a sense of humour.
Anyway RickF did ask us to speak up.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

andyn

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17:18 pm »

Absolutely no offence meant at all, was just a pun on the
please write loudly!!
part of the original posting :-))

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:52 pm »

Thanks Guys - and yes I appreciate a joke as much as the next man. Life's too serious to be serious about. Please don't start a war n my account.

The point of my question was that Specsavers have all sorts of models at all sorts of prices - everything from Lada to Rolls Royce - and I just wondered if anyone had experience of them in particular.

I mentioned my hearing difficulties to my GP a few months ago during a routine heart check-up. His reply - "Specsavers do a free test - get yourself down there". So much for the NHS

Rick

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 08:10:53 pm »

I have an NHS hearing aid.....I was refered to the audio centre by my GP. I will take some time to process.....however the small earpiece is brilliant. So, go for it , it just takes a little longer , plus its free on the NHS...mick :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

Not meaning to get at anyone in particular and no offence taken. But as soon as Rick had made his initial post I said to myself - here come the jokey responses - and so they did. I am just a bit puzzled why people will take this attitude towards deafness when they would never dream of doing so to blindness, severe physical disability or, as in Dicky's case emphysyma. i suppose it is a cultural thing.

Anyone who has a disability is faced with an uphill struggle of one sort or another and humour definitely helps to ease the situation. After all, there is nothing much you can do about it so why not laugh at it? For those who are afflicted, it's important that people accept you for what you are and treat you accordingly. If you are in a wheelchair for example there is a tendency for people to deal with the person pushing the chair - does he take sugar in his tea? No offence is meant but a lot is given.

Apart from deafness, I also have a form of Glaucoma. At the moment it is under control. But just imagine the prospect of being deaf and blind wiith a fully functioning intellect!

Colin

andygh

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:48 pm »

Since the original post was "jokey" I wouldn't expect anything else  {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 10:05:16 pm »

No, I suppose you wouldn't.

craftysod

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »

I have been reading this post with interest,my other half has emphysyma as well,and DickyD has a brilliant sense of humour.
She is not as bad as others but has other problems as well.
I personally will not make jokes of other peoples health problems,as i might suffer them later on in my life.
But i give my respects to people who have a disability,and can look on the lighter side, and make a joke or laugh about the situation
Mark

omra85

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

Has anyone (apart from me) taken the telephone test given by the RNID.  The number is on their website.  You ring it and listen (doh) to some numbers spoken against a hissing background, then tap them into the phone.
I got a 'clean bill of health' which I know is rubbish as I'm an audio visual manager (well, with the high frequencies gone and the varifocals I'm barely managing  {-) ) and I know that my hearing is getting worse as I have to employ young people who take a GREAT delight in informing me of the "hiss" in an audio system and can't I hear it?? But I take it in good heart and beat them about the head which seems to even the score!
I'm looking forward to retirement so I can stop 'bluffing' and have a proper check up  :-))
What with that, the hypertension, excessive ectopic beats, prostate problems, overweight, etc,  I ought to have a competition with Dicky  {-)  but if you don't laugh about it, you won't live any longer - it will just seem so  %) %)

Something about "death and taxes"  ;)
Danny

omra85

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:14 pm »

The hearing test is now online -
http://www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/hearing_check/

See how you get on (I'm now "below normal" - hope they mean just my hearing) <:( <:( %)

Danny

Damien

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »

My other half and i have 2 aids each, after 6 months i gave up on them as Colin said they make everything LOUDER and i still couldn't hear voices above background noise or unless the speaker is facing me. my computer desk is close to large windows and i get a feedback loop in one aid from sound bouncing off the glass. They also make my ears itch like crazy after an hour or so of use.
My son is arriving for a weeks visit next week with missus & our grand daughter we havent met yet. I guess i'll have to wear them for the week they're here.
Damien.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 11:56:35 pm »

Colin, I was very interested to read your comments on modern hearing aids. My wife is completely deaf in one ear, and uses an aid in the other which allows her to hear reasonably well. Because she can only hear with one ear, she has lost the ability to know which direction the sound is coming from. Even though her aid is one of the whizz-bang high tech variety, she still has trouble in crowds plus, if a TV program has music behind the speech, she has trouble hearing speech, and finds the "background" music extremely annoying.

You must have a very different health system to ours, as we had to pay more than half of the $2000 cost of the hearing aid, the balance was covered by our private health insurance.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 12:02:51 am »

People criticise the National Health Service but the people who deal with hearing problems in my area are very good indeed. I did have to wait a few months for the latest aids but that was due to a national shortage.

As for having a giggle, I visited Egypt a few years ago - "Deaf on the Nile!"  :}

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.