Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speak Up, Please  (Read 7819 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Speak Up, Please
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 12:21:13 am »

My wife says the good thing about having a hearing aid is, if I'm watching something on TV she doesn't like, she can just turn the aid off. Bl***y annoying if I try to talk to her, though, she just ignores me.........come to think of it, she does that most of the time anyway  O0

Peter.

OMK

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:38 am »

My mate Jimmy in California, he paid over $6,000 for two hi-tech bionic 'ears'. Although it has brought him closer to civilisation again, he still suffers the same problems as Pete Fitness's wife: still awkward for him to distinguish voice from background music - especially that from radio or TV.
For my part I lost pretty much all hearing in my left lug and down to about 75% in the right one, all because of too many years standing in front of a couple 4x12 speaker stacks, playing at stage volume. Consequently, bass frequencies tend to drive me nuts, while middle to high-range frequencies tend to come through okay.
For me, at least, a simple cure to hearing better TV/radio is to route the audio through a hi-fi graphics equalizer. It lets you filter the audio response to your particular hearing range.

Damien

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 02:04:20 am »

Aust. Gov't, paid 100% for our hearing aids the only cost is a yearly service contract of $35 that covers all batteries and any repairs or tweaking needed. We let the contracts lapse as we didn't use the aids often enough to warrent the cost.
We recently were told the aids would be replaced every 2 years with latest models so we emailed the Gov't and were told this is correct. just waiting on paperwork and we'll see if another hearing company can make a better fitting ear piece.
Damien.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 09:09:07 am »

I have been reading this post with interest,my other half has emphysyma as well,and DickyD has a brilliant sense of humour.
She is not as bad as others but has other problems as well.
I personally will not make jokes of other peoples health problems,as i might suffer them later on in my life.
But i give my respects to people who have a disability,and can look on the lighter side, and make a joke or laugh about the situation
Mark
Southampton supporter Mark, really do need a sense of humour for that.
Find it great in my wheelchair Colin all the young female shop assistants take pity on me and I get to do an awful lot of queue jumping.
Peoples attitudes to people in wheelchairs has improved over the years.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bigfella

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 09:09:52 am »

For my part I lost pretty much all hearing in my left lug and down to about 75% in the right one, all because of too many years standing in front of a couple 4x12 speaker stacks, playing at stage volume. Consequently, bass frequencies tend to drive me nuts, while middle to high-range frequencies tend to come through okay.

PMK that is why I used to use a combo amp. However I still have lost some of my hearing in my right ear where the Bass player in my band used to stand with a 600w amp, he has a constant hissing in his ears now and he was the lead vocalist as well so his career has been cut short. I used to laugh at those musicians that used those ear plugs on stage. Who's laughing now.

Regards David

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 09:59:06 am »

In my previous life as a BBC TV cameraman, regularly videoing motor sports and music bands, I'd be issued with "dead cans" (large headphones that cut out lots of noise) and we'd have regular noise level checks by the Engineering Manager. That said, I only every saw one group ever wear earplugs. They also asked for the foldback monitors to be turned down.

(The B52s doing Love Shack, if you're interested!)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

OMK

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:06 am »

Hey, Bigfella.
Constant hissing, eh? Tell me about it. I believe they call it tinitus. It seems there is no cure, and that's when you realise just how much you miss having a decent set of lugs.
I bought me a small 15-watt combo' and forgot just how loud such a small amp' can be. I daren't crank the volume past "3" for fear of upsetting the neighbs'. But even volume 3 is heap plenty loud for messing around indoors.
All I need now is a wheelchair, 'cos I really dig the idea of queue jumping.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:40 am »

{-) {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

Peoples attitudes to people in wheelchairs has improved over the years.

Glad to hear that, quite a few years ago after my dads stroke and with a "dicky ticker" it used to amaze (and annoy) me that people would talk to me as opposed to him when we were out and he was in the wheelchair or even his electric buggy. Some strange assumption that his inability to walk any distance affected his intellect.... When shopping I would leave him alone so that assistants and others had to talk to him.

omra85

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »

Why is it that, when you ask people to repeat what they have just said, they slow down to idiot speed -

I     said     they     slow     down       to      idiot      speed

Its the volume thats low, not the brain cells (er ...... possibly)   %)
Danny

PS Did you just read the second line slower  O0 {-) {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »

I always tell people I'm deaf - well, it's better than letting them think you are stupid. You do get a variety of responses though, but most of them are well meaning and things tend to sort themselves out. One to one situations can be coped with, but as others have said, it's trying to cope with the crowded room/meeting situation that's the killer!

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:27 pm »

I am amongst the registered Deaf! (hearing deficiency) I also have tinnitus which is very annoying if you let it get to you! I have a pair of aids which I do wear, but not at work! as they are not compatable with ear defenders! for work in the engine room so for 28 days I listen to an annoying noise (including the skippers) then I wear my aids while at home and can say that it does help in the "quiet times" Vanity is a big thing with aids when I first started to wear mine people started to raise voices and talk slower to me? My audible range has changed as well, I can hear some ranges that other people can not, the one thing that really gets on my nerves is the pelican crossing bleeper (they hurt! its like being thumped in each ear with every bleep)

The one thing I did find was that the aids had to be kept very clean or the inner ear could become sore or even infected and then the aid would cause more problems and then NOT being able to wear the aid would cause a problem and so I got into a vicious circle, now I am so much wiser I have learnt to care for and live with or without the aids depending on what I am doing.

I wish you all the best and a speedy learning curve, I never realised how much I "could NOT hear" until I got my aids

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:28 pm »

Don't know about deaf people, but a former Technical Director I worked for treated non-English speakers like that.

He would talk slowly and clearly as though to a five year old

if they didn't understand he would repeat himself

S L O W E R   A N D   C L E A R E R   A N D   L O U D E R

if they still didin't understand he would repeat himself

if they still didin't understand he would repeat himself

After five minutes you could hear him across the factory

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

catengineman

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 07:00:58 pm »

I suppose one of the most annoying things that is said to me when I say that I'm a registered 'deaf person' is   ay or pardon

its such a corny retort it drives me to distraction :((

(being registered deaf does not mean that you can not hear)

R,   

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:16 pm »

I know that this thread is mainly about deafness, but the comment about bleepers on Pelican crossings hit a nerve. (No pun intended). I have AMD in my right eye and these Xenon headlights on some cars cause real pain in the eye (both eyes, actually). I wonder which terminally insane idiot allowed these things to become lawful. Halogens are bad enough, but these "new" blue things are dangerous. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 01:26:50 am »

I agree, Bryan. My eyesight is good - for my age - but I find the the Xenon headlights extremely annoying to the point of being dangerous.

Peter.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 02:55:09 pm »

Brian & Peter,

Yes the light are very bright but you should see them from inside they
are very white and light the road surface much better making your driving safer,
but not necessarily for the oncoming traffic......... :-))

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »

Hearing problems are individual to each person and it only takes a few minutes of conversation to tune into each persons needs.
My friend Geoff (... rather ironic I know) hearing is failing due to a sinuous problem, all I have to remember to do is stand on his right side when talking to him. Clive, make sure I have his attention before speaking. Mum, slowly and make sure she's looking at me.

One thing I've noticed is how much we lip and face read without knowing it!

My brother purchased a £550 hearing aid from the States a month or 2 back... it wasn't any better that the NHS one.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 08:07:45 am »

One thing I've noticed is how much we lip and face read without knowing it!

I can say you are 100% on that Martin. having worked within a noisy engine rooms most of my working life (early years without any ear muffs) it was easier to lip read than to hear the actual spoken word, even now I still read the lips of people talking to me. (and some of the time people in conversation on the other side of a noisy pub! nothing like picking up a good bit of gossip  {-) )

B S L is also a help.
R,

OMK

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:30 am »

Re: BSL, it was Doug 99 that once pointed out that the spoken intonation is usually far removed from that of the written word. I think maybe similar applies with body language. Just because some some gal flashes her bits at you, does not necessarily mean what you think it means. I know - I've still got the black eye to prove it.  :embarrassed:

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2009, 11:34:13 pm »

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd draw a line under this topic. I've had my hearing test, been parted from considerable amounts of holiday money and as of yesterday I'm the proud possessor of two very discrete hi-tec hearing aids. Still under training with them - only set up on one program and only to be worn at home for the first two weeks.

Three things are immediately obvious: my hearing was far worse than I thought, the DSM has been shouting at me for years without either of us realising and the toilet sounds like Niagara when it flushes!

All going well so far

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2009, 11:43:04 pm »

Good on you Rick!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2009, 11:51:46 pm »

Rick, my wife made similar comments when she first wore her hearing aid. It will probably take you some time to become accustomed to everyday noises after not hearing them as you should, for so long.

People will also have to learn that you can now hear, and stop making nasty remarks about you  {-) {-)

Peter.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009, 08:42:42 am »

I have to say that the NHS service round here is perfect, I can't understand why anyone would go private. I think round here you get seen within a few days.
The digital hearing aids are wonderful, they amplify the range of frequencies that you are missing, higher pitch in my case, I have better than average in the deep notes. If they had blue tooth to connect to phones etc it would be nice...one day maybe.

My only problem is on hot days when I get a bit sweaty and damp gets in then.

Completely free service...batteries as well, not found anything else the batteries fit in though.

An odd thing with the digital ones, on the T setting for audio loops you can pick all sorts of electonic noise as well, like when you swich on the ignition in the car, or cross a level crossing..... Once, in a theatre I picked up a mike back stage that must have been left on the loop but not the  sound system.  Interesting, you soon know when they are swiched in the wrong mode.

I have to agree with Colin that many people think deefess in others is funny.  Not nice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.