Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Advice  (Read 1730 times)

peeldy

Radio Advice
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:05 pm »

Have been away from Model Boating for some years but have got the bug again but alas the hands are not as steady as they once were.

I am nearing completing a model of HMS Eagle and am about ready to install all the electronic wizardry into it. I am going to get Action Electronics to supply the control stuff  and am wondering what is the best radio gear to buy. ie, make and whether 27/40 or the new 2.4gb controllers and receivers are best.
I have an old Futaba  27 mhz set but this is installed in a tug and I want a separate controller for Eagle. The radio will be  2 channel  and it will rarely be used in a crowded pond or in a club situation as I have made it for my grandson to sail.
 Have read the threads about the different systems and pros and cons of each but still can't make up my mind.
Any of you experienced boaters out there throw out a life line to a fellow shipmate before he drowns himself by buying the wrong equipment. Thanks

Mark47

Re: Radio Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »

For the price of a new 27MHz set you can pretty much get a 2.4Ghz from Howe's [Giant cod site having problems] (no large protruding Ariel to poke an eye out with). They seem to be really good for the money. "Why take a chance of interference, if not needed"? £40 quid or so and you'll be happy. O0 You don't want to put the wee yin off by shouting intructions, if it's not his fault (interference).

peeldy

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:42 pm »

Hi Mark
Thanks for the advice. I was kinda figuring on the 2.4 Ghz sets so will have a look and see what's on offer at Howe's.
Take care

tomo55

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:19 pm »

Ive switched to 2.4 ghz Futaba 7c set its great does all i want and more.Might be too much if you are only doing model boats.but i do Aero as well so its handy to have the extra features if needed.
i cant say anything about the cheaper 2.4 sets but you do get what you pay for,the Futaba system is simple press a small button and thr Rx is linked to the Tx.
Personal choice really.
My advice is The 2.4 Futaba sets.
Chris

peeldy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:04 pm »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the advice. Futaba is my choice also. I already have an old Futaba  set and you are right you only get what you pay for.
Cheers
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.