Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing lighting  (Read 9926 times)

Malc Reade

Re: Installing lighting
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 08:45:23 pm »

tigertiger

I think there is insufficient data provided (missing forward voltages of the LED's) to verify this arrangement?  At first glance, your resistor values seem to be inordinately high?  I would have expected resistor values to drop, the greater the number of LED's in series?

(I haven't looked at the other thread yet other than to scroll through it, but suspect others may have taken up the cudgels)?

OK, Just had a look, PMK has your answer..

Malc

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 11:21:43 am »

About voltage and the series/parallel thingy.
Your house is wired in parallel.  No matter where you want to plug in a lamp, you'll have the same voltage, so you don't have to figure what voltage bulb to put where, and have to keep several dozen different voltage bulbs (remember this is voltage not wattage).  Wiring in series means that the total voltage supplied isn't fed to each device in the series string.  Each succeeding device gets a lower voltage than the one ahead of it.
Using a voltage regulator in your model, and wiring in parallel does the same sort of thing.  There are disadvantages to using a regulator too.  They will usually cost more than a hand full of resistors.  It usually means more wire cuz there will be two of them to each bulb/LED.  And if you do have 4 or 5 'jillian' LEDs, it's gonna be a much 'larger' regulator (not really in size, but in capacity/cost).  The advantage (at least to me) is that it does simplify things.  Don't need that hand full of resistors, re-figure the required resistancefor each LED (assuming they're not all the same rating), or forget what the @#$$ you did to start with and have to re-figure the whole @#$ thing again!  (I know, I know, write all of it down... but what did I do with the silly paper?)
I don't think there's any advantage to either method, just what you'd rather do.
 - 'Doc

kikkari

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 12:19:24 pm »

One problem with wiring in series could be the old Christmas tree light problem that you used to get where one light goes and they all go.  When I set my RC plane up with lights to fly at night I made a point of having three separate circuits even though this meant more wire (and weight).  So if you are sailing at night and in a situation where you are relying on your lights you may wish to avoid having everything in one serial circuit, not as important as on a plane granted but still an issue depending on the size of the lake and available light ;)

I used enamelled wire unwound from an old transformer coil it was very light and concealable.

Very small variable resistors are available in Radio Shack, Maplin etc. - I bought a set of various values on ebay.

Dueller

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:21 am »

I took the really simple method.

Bought a set of ten led's, the type that have the 2xAA battery box on one end and wired like Christmas tree lights. I fixed the end one to the top of the mast and then attached them downwards. Mast, nav lights, cabin light, bulkhead lights. If they did not reach i simply cut the wire between the led's and inserted a slightly longer piece. Does exactly what i wanted at very little cost, i think the set was about £2.50 from a cheepo shop.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 8.607 seconds with 23 queries.