Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 65th Anniversary of D Day Commemoration  (Read 7121 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
65th Anniversary of D Day Commemoration
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:15 pm »

What a total pig's ear our Government have made of this business.

A member of the Royal family, preferably the Queen should certainly be present. She is the only head of state who actually served in WW2.

But then of course, it was just the Americans who liberated France wasn't it?  >>:-(

Colin

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: 65th Anniversary of D Day Commemoration
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:59:27 pm »

Apparently, Colin, nobody thought to invite her! I suppose she is easily overlooked - after all her face is only on every banknote, coin and stamp?

Rick

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:29 pm »

Yes but apparently the French government has said any member of the Royal family is welcome to attend,, but it is more a Franco-American event. That is a genuine quote from a French Minister...... >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*<

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

I don't know if you realise this but this is the last time the D-Day vetrans will be parading "on mass" in normandy.
This year the Normandy Vetrans Association are handing over the parade to the Cadet forces of the UK and they will be
carrying out the parades as such for the future.
My Friend is an Officer taking Air Cadets from Glasgow over as a part of 500 air cadets from the UK

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:44 am »

Yes I realised this was effectively the last gathering. We go over to France quite frequently and know the D day beaches  area very well. The American Military Cemetery above Omaha beach is a very moving place, as are the smaller British cemeteries dotted around the place.

It's surprising just how much is still there to see. In the history books you can read that the cruiser HMS Ajax on bombardment duty scored a direct hit on a German gun mounted in a concrete bunker. The gun is still in place, as is the severed barrel embedded in the ground just in front of it. Now that really brings history to life.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:33 am »

But then of course, it was just the Americans who liberated France wasn't it?  >>:-(

I thought it was just John Wayne  :-)

Unfortunately, it seems to me that most Americans believe that they won the war single handedly. They apparently don't realise that Britain and her Commonwealth allies were involved well before a Japanese raid on a certain naval base in Hawaii "awoke the sleeping giant". I don't believe anyone would deny that without the involvement of America, Britain may well have lost WW2, or at the very least, it may have gone on much longer, but it was a joint effort.

Peter.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:55 am »

You bet your sweet  :-)) !!!!!! Quitting was never an option!!!!!!!

OMK

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:41 am »

...but it is more a Franco-American event.

Which, ulimately, just goes to prove the arrogance of the French authorities. I'm not a die-hard royalist by any means, but to snub el Queenie without even as much as an invite is a slap in the face for any decent Englishman.
My old momma, I've oftentimes heard her relate horrific stories of that D-day skirmish. But anyone would be hard-pressed not to notice the hint of disdain in her voice when she talks of the Yanks. She reckon they were crying like babies on that day. Whereas on the other end of the scale, she talks of the British and Australian soldiers with deep pride and respect.
I wasn't born then, so I cannot really comment. But from what I learnt of the Yanks, they are basically good people... if only they didn't go nicking all the best British inventions and proclaiming it theirs and proclaiming to win the war singly-handedly for us Limeys. And before you jump down my throat, no - I am not anti-American. In fact, one of my very best mates' is American. Eighty-four years old and doesn't look a day over sixty, but we click because I love his down-to-earth honesty. I just today Rx'ed an email from him, and, in his words, he is "frightened" at just how low the American regard seems to have sunk. He himself would be the first to tell you that ehe American 'me, me, me' culture has dragged his country to the pits.
And yet the French gives the thumbs-up for them to join the veteran parade, but don't give a hoot about the real heros of the day.

Bummer.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:00 am »

Hi ya

I wonder if the French still dislike us (The British) for OPERATION CATAPULT,  MERS-EL-KEBIR. 3RD JUL 1940 - this is where Sir Winston Churchill ordered the British Naval Fleet to turn their guns on the French Naval Fleet - thus inflicting heavy casualties.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

OMK

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:53 am »

Yeah, of course they dislike us. Remember how their farmers burnt all those English sheep, out of pure spite and hatred?
Though, for the most part, the average French person is pretty decent. It's mainly the ones running the show which you have to worry about. They conveniently forgotten how we saved their asses all them years ago.
Thinking about it, pretty much the same mentality as the British gvnm't.

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:42:32 am »

Everyone knows that Hollywood won the war. Look behind the gloss of the film world and there are some really remarkable stories. Not all of the actors who took part in the film version of the event (Wayne, Flynn et al) stayed at home. Notable names to ponder, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Frankie Laine, Audie Murphy, Jack Palance...

The colour of the uniform or the badges worn is immaterial, it's the simple fact that belonging to a particular nation does not make anyone proof against gaining a headstone in a war cemetary.

Regardless of nationality, I still bow my head to them.

OMK

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:24:32 pm »

Way to go, Mr. Sweeper. You still posses that ability to speak good words, yet without sounding malicious or such. Wish I had that gift.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »

Just to get actual involvement and losses in perspective....

The three main attacking forces were:

USA (73,000) - Casualties were about 6600 dead, wounded or missing. Of the total US figure, 2499 casualties were from the US airborne troops (238 of them being deaths). The casualties at Utah Beach were relatively light: 197, including 60 missing. However, the US 1st and 29th Divisions together suffered around 2000 casualties at Omaha Beach.

United Kingdom (61,715) - Casualties on the British beaches were roughly 1000 on Gold Beach and the same number on Sword Beach. The remainder of the British losses were amongst the airborne troops: some 600 were killed or wounded, with 600  missing; 100 glider pilots also became casualties.

Canada (21,400) - The losses of 3rd Canadian Division at Juno Beach have been given as 340 killed, 574 wounded and 47 taken prisoner.)

There were also contingents from: Australia, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Poland.

Rick

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »

Living among the French is very interesting.

There are those who are ignorant, probably the shy and inexperienced for whom anything "different" must be viewed with suspicion which is a very natural, understandable and worldwide response to foreigners.

There are those who are arrogant and believe all things French to be superior, they are few and far between.

There are those who view the British with tolerant amusement. "What, they don't eat everything?". "Why do they denigrate their own country?". "What makes them shout so much?". "Why do they not tolerate their youngsters, life gets hard soon enough?". "They have a fine Queen but she has no powers, strange". "They pay less taxes than us but they complain more". "Why do they not like the Euro?"

There are those who are very kind and helpful and move heaven and earth to assist their British neighbours, seeming to take great pride in welcoming and assisting them into the community. Embarrassingly I was once told, "You honour us by choosing to live here"!

Then there are those who do remember with gratitude the sacrifices made by the fallen in both World Wars. Celebrations of the various commemorative days are well supported and veterans of all nations are feted.

Visiting a French friend on one occasion I remarked on the three flags proudly displayed on his desk, they were the French Tricolour flanked by the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes. I asked him why he had them there. To which he replied, "It is a debt I owe".

Roger in France

Zed.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »

It is also a sad thing that soon there will be no vet's able to attend, forgeting what side they were on, there were acts of bravery maybe never to be seen again. I salute them all :-)

Rich.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »

Roger, your comments on the French are very interesting. It seems the common perception of the French is one of arrogance, particularly towards English people but, of course, this is generalising, and making generalisations is fraught with danger.

I believe there are some lovely monuments commemorating Australians who died in WW1, in some parts of France, and some villages hold annual ceremonies honouring these Aussie soldiers. There has been recent TV news coverage of the discovery of a mass grave of Australian soldiers killed in WW1. The French authorities are co-operating with Australia in having these men identified, and re-buried in a war cemetery. This is a wonderful gesture, all these years on.

Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 06:17:52 am »

Peter,

Many years ago I was wandering in the hills in the Cevenne. Following a track I turned a corner and came upon some 4 wheel drives all parked up and empty. Walking on further I heard the clinking of bottles and some mingled French and Aussie voices. Apparently this was a reunion between the local Maquis and some Australian troops who had supplied them with explosives and weapons.

As old as they were they were having a great time and were all dressed up with medals etc. A large group of young men and women were cooking and serving drinks and a huge BBQ was about to be served. An adjacent memorial and flag staff had flags of many nations displayed. Strangely there were no children.

My wife and I were invited to join but after one glass of wine we pushed on as we had a night stop and dinner to make in the next valley.

Roger in France

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 06:42:56 am »

Good story, Roger,  :-)) and I'll bet the old Aussie diggers were enjoying the BBQ and drinks, too.  O0

Peter.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 08:33:37 am »

Hello

As I know diplomatic organisation and decision are not so simple and about the Queen invitation it's appeared that it's not only a French decision but a joint one after talking with UK and other nation involved government ...

I've read on this thread that this 65th anniversary is the last one with living D-day actor maybe it's thrue but in fact nobody can predict how long will be the life of those people

It was admit by all concerned nations that the 60th was the last "great ceremonie" with all head of state all "flonflon" as we said in french. The reason is because 60 years + minimum 18-20 for the D-days actosr means minimum 78-80 years for the younger veterans.  

The 70th should also be a great ceremony but with a different organization because only some actor of time will still be with us.  

So, this "dispute" about the Queen invitation is quiet stupid : 65th anniversary is not a "10 years great ceremonie" and the reason why this year is particular is because Barrack Obama was asking to come to honour these fellow Americans dead on these beaches.  By the way, prior this american demand, the coming of Sarkozy to the 65th was not planned. And a "regular each year" ceremony was planned. 

About french arrogance, American john wayne attitude, "la perfide Albion"  (deceptive British) etc...  Sometimes I am ashamed to be French, after the Rainbow Warrior affair for example, but also once at the airport of Seattle when I have seen a herd of French speaking loadly with silly thinking that nobody understood what they said.  

But now if I'm american may I have to be ashamed for this supid oil war in Irak searching for mass destruction weapons ? For Guantanamo jail etc... Off course not.  Then, one thing I'm proud is to be Breton, I'm more Celtic than French and even ...  I have a neighbour stupid as a turkey, but he is Breton 100 %.  To be proud of all his actions would be shameful for me. Then in this case I would prefer to be English that Breton !  

A+ Xtian

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 09:05:06 am »

Hi all.....A+ Xtian ....I do not question your comments.....& you will remember that I praised your diplomacy in a response you made recently ........however I do not understand your short time postings [days/weeks] on Naval vessels of differing countries  :o :o

I spent 1504 days with one section of the Australian Department of Defence [Navy] ......& during that period was offered only two short term promotional transfers ...one to UK & one to US of A...& neither did I accept for personal family reasons [small children] etc

More of your background would make interseting reading  O0 O0......regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:04 am »

Hello

Serving a Navy and to be placed on another Navy for long period is rare but it's happen - actually there is almost 20 foreign officers serving aboard of French ships for one or two year deployment. And there some more (up to 100) on bases and Command Staff.  

There is also short time deployement (1 week to 1 month) during operations like during Blakan crisis, off the Liban coast, Gulf of Aden operation etc...  

I have a good friend, an helo pilot, serving actually for 2 years with the German Navy - since many years there permantly 2 french pilots serving the German Navy and same on the other way.

Mainly those exchanges are with European navies and some with other NATO. It's rare with other nations even if there is some training officers and I remember to have 2 Brazilians aboard during a month at sea (it was not an exchange but they have to learn some the way of working equipments with us) .    

An exchange between ships sailing on same joint exercise or the same joint operation is more frequent.  A British counterpart from the HMS Northumberland had come one week aboard the French frigate Primauguet (D644) while I was aboard of the Northumberland during Joint Maritime Course off the northen Scotland.  It was the same for the HMS Severn or the HMNZS Canterbury where a New Zealand officer "replaced" me for two days aboard of my ship.  

I have to say that in those cases its' more a friendly exchange and as exemple some of my friends aboard of french ships don't want to stay a week aboard of an US ship as the food is so bad, but there is so many volunteer to go aboard of German ships as the beer is good etc...  I was Ops officer and from the Norhumberland my contrepart was an engineer owner of a house in France (Perigord) I'm sure it was not a chance but a real choice to be "exchanged" aboard of a French navy ship.  

From my side I'm always ready for foreign experiment and even I've spend a day aboard of an Ukrainian and 2 days on Saudi ship  O0

About the Success it was quiet different as it was just experience sharing. At that time I was ops officer aboard of the same oiler Durance class design. I was in Australia to learn your way of work and to share our experiences. So I spend some days at sea aboard of the HMAS Success during RAS training, prior and after I've send some day of working on paper and procedures. As I remember 2 or 3 australian officers have spend some time aboard of French oiler prior the commisioning of the Success  and also aboard or Canadian AOR as the transfert equipment for French, Australian but also Saudi oiler is Canadian designed.

Maybe Australian is particular as you are not in NATO and as your are so far down under, so I'm sure there some exchange with the New Zealand Navy, some with the US and UK (you are serving the same Queen {-) with your ships named Her Majesty's Australian Ship )

I hope to have answered your question

Otherwise do not hesitate to send me a MP certain things cannot be said on an all over the world read forum

A+ Xtian

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 01:58:10 pm »

Thanks A+ Xtian.....your comments only confuse.........HMAS Success....yes I understand she was built on French plans....& yes I was engaged to assist in resolving an hydraulic mooring winch issue many years ago........but as she only had a few 0.5 caliber machine guns...was not any function of my role in above water weapons.............

BTW....Australia is a signature to the ANSUS agreement's .........& I thought also the North Atlanic Treaty Orginization [NATO] ........Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 02:09:18 pm »

I find the attitudes to other nations interesting - ISTM that one of the main reasons we get wars is because one group of people think another group of people are inferior and more than that are denying the first group their due respect and their place in the world.

The relationship between the English and the French amuses me - more than anything it is a family squabble, a bunch of warring relatives. Ever since William the Bas***d stuffed Harold a large proportion of English culture is derived from the French, though with all sorts of other influences (the Windsor family, formerly the Sax-Coburgs and the Mountbatten family formerly the Battenburgs spring to mind).

I am a pacifist - but that does not stop me wanting to honour the dead of battle - not just allied forces but all sides. The Germans were on the wrong side, but we shouldn't forget that they also fought heorically and bravely. I think that at this memorial, the royals and preferably the queen should be there - after all it was in the name of the monarch that those people went to fight and to die. The Prime-Minister is not the head of state, but a mere functionary - the First Lord of the Treasury and servant of the crown.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 03:58:31 pm »

Hello

About the Queen invitation. Until the end of february 2009 it was not planned to have an important ceremonie for the 65th anniversary, as not a decade ceremony

Even Sarkozy was not sure to be present

Now this ceremonie start to be "bigger" following the demand from Barrack Obama for coming to the D-day Beaches this year.  Anyway it still not a "great ceremonie" like the one for decade anniversaries with all head of states even from small Pacific Ocean or African countries.

As I heard, the Queen planning concerning this kind of big event is done some years in advance, at least one year !  So as this ceremony was not a "great one", a "decade one" The coming of the Queen was not planned (as I said even the coming of Sarkozy was not sure).  

It was some changes with the demand of Barrack Obama after his election, so Sarkozy will be there to received the guest.

Now it's time for the formal invitation but as it was planned since long time, the Queen is not invited.

Ok now think about a change in this month of May with a Queen invitation because Barrack is coming and then also Sarkozy...  

There is two ways

-  She have to refuse as her planning is done since one year - that means an offence from the Queen to the Veterans, Army and so on.

-  She accept and then there is a mess with other obligations, a mess with honour guard planning  regiment to be present, etc...

In fact there is nothing wrong in this history. The 65th anniversary was planned as a regular each year ceremony without big "flonflon" and all invitation are well organized each time with both part : Foreign Office and Ministère des Affaires Etrangères. Then according to French and British autorities the invitation was not to the Head of State but for the inferior level - that's all      

So I know that in Britain news paper like the Sun said " the arrogant French do not invite the Queen but Barrack is coming"  the day after some stupid french news paper do the same error and then publish some embarrased answer from the Queen secretary or administration ...                  

It's a stupid thing from stupid people and please don't mix everything.

About the Germans, remember that for the 60th the German Prime Minister was here for a part of the ceremony, only the ones in souvenir of deads.

- About the Australia, Canada, New Zealand soldier dead don't forget that the Queen is also your head of state  {-)

- Australia in the NATO : No

- Your are right Wombat with the relationship between English and French but you are wrong about Windsor Family and Mountbatten as they are from germany austro-hungry and so on but not French as from our side we have cut the head of all royalist  {-) (it's humour as I don't care...)    

A+ Xtian

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:27 pm »

Hi Xtian,

Yes I mentioned the Sax-Coburgs and Battenburgs as other (not French influences) - made the WWI an irony - that really was a family squabble with naughty uncle Willy.

The queen I guess must be booked well in advance, but some things surely can be an exception - especially when the date has been known about for 65 years. Personally I think this is the place of the Royal Family - fighting for Queen and Country and all that. It won't be that much longer before the events are outside living memory

"And the band plays Waltzing Mathilda
The old men still answer the call
But as year follows year,
More old men disappear,
One day no-one will march anymore"

From "The band played Waltzing Mathilda" by Eric Bogle

Ignore what the tabloids say:

Q: Why is a girl on a beach in San Tropez like a tabloid journalist?
A: They are both lying in the Sun.
(modified from an original by Stephen Fry)

Wom

The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.