Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chrome Paint?  (Read 3969 times)

budlia

Chrome Paint?
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »

having carefully soldered my brass stanchions and handrails together, can anyone recommend a nice chrome effect paint (preferably aerosol) that really looks the part!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chrome Paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:55:15 pm »

Yes i can, Alclad!!! Quite simply nothing else comes close. Not many places do it, my local model shop Hannants sell it in bottle form to be airbrushed on. The company has not long introduced a spray can version, but this is not stocked by Hannants, although i beleive a rc shop called D.M.S.Racing in Watford sell it.
The stuff in areosol form will be the best for you, should be alot tougher and more durable than airbrushing.. The way it works is that you spray grey primer first, then followed by high gloss black, and the finaly the Alclad chrome finish....haye presto, the stuff looks just like the real thing and you can even see a reflection of your face in it ;D

Hope this helps!

Voyager.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:11:56 am »

I've tried several so called  "Chrome" paints and sprays and they've all been crap!

"Alclad chrome finish....hay presto, the stuff looks just like the real thing and you can even see a reflection of your face in it "

I've got to try this!!!!  :o

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:14:08 am »

Just checked and the model shop in Watford does sell it, but it's not cheap at £10 a can, but it's well worth it!!!

Regards:Voyager.

Malc Reade

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:16:58 am »

We use a chrome paint from Halfords (Chrome lid on the can) to spray the reflectors in our working search lights.  Much like this Alclad stuff, a few thin coats letting it dry in between, and you get an almost mirror finish.

Malc

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:18:38 am »

I found out, that some of the Chrome-effect sprays come better, if they are sealed with clear varnish and some become darker. I wonder what that is as I have always used the same varnish.
Though I think you need to have a try on a sample piece first, before you spray the real item.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:55:51 pm »

Why not take them to a chrome platers and have them done in the real thing?

I don't think it would be that expensive, especially if you just want them rough chromed.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 04:00:47 pm »

There is another one available, maybe not in your paddock, but it is called 'chrome brite' over here, seems to work quite well, I have even used it to touch reflectors in motor cars successfully.....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Malc Reade

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 08:56:49 am »

Subculture

I could offer you a dissertation on vacuum metalising (plating) of plastic components, but I won't - suffice it to say that you don't want to go there.  It's strictly a commercial process.

You might be lucky enough to find a metal chrome plater that will do the odd handrail for you though?

Regards, Malc

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 11:07:03 am »

He did say he wanted to finish brass railings, so a chrome plater will be happy to oblige, and it shouldn't be that expensive either. I tend to find folk are more helpful when you explain what it's for.

Andy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 10:04:51 pm »

A few years back one of my mates got someone in a local aircraft factory to make him a cribbage board (makes a change from lighters).  Being helpful the guy asked if he wanted it chromed.  My mate said yes.  The board duly arrived in very shiny brass.  It seems the silvery colour is actually nickel, the chrome is just a layer of metal so thin you can see through it, like a sort of varnish.
Most folks probably knew that anyway, but it came as a surprise to me, and even more so to my mate who had to explain it to the rest of the crib team...
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

budlia

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 06:34:46 pm »

Well that was certainly informative! i'm sure the Halfords paint would be very good, like all there paint products. but i'm going for the Alclad stuff, sounds just the ticket.I think haviing them chromed is probably a bit over the top, but thanks to you all for your excellent advice.

Best regards
                              Mick Lane (Budlia)

Malc Reade

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:38:15 pm »

I found the can in my workshop over the weekend - the Halfords stuff is called PlastiCote - it's brilliant!

Malc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 06:15:04 pm »

it's brilliant!

Sure hope so Malc, wouldn't be any good otherwise!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.