Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uniross  (Read 2669 times)

warspite

Uniross
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:31 am »

Hi,

I have a requirement for using very light batteries for running a vosper, is it possible to wire 4 x 1.2v 250Mah AAA batteries in series to create the 4.8v 250Mah receiver/ engine pack (through a P68).

I intend to seal these batteries into the hull so i will need to charge the batteries through a socket

the idea is to have one side of the receiver disengage when the charger socket is inserted - any comments please.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Uniross
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:38:55 am »

Hi,
No reason you cant connect in series. Just make sure you get really good soldered joints otherwise if the connection fails, at best you lose power, at worst the connection starts sparking with the possibility of overheating/fire.

You could always get one made up for you by Component shop or Model Power.

I have installed charging sockets in a few boats. One way is through an on/off/on switch. In 'on 1' connect to charging socket, in 'off ' battery is fully disconnected from all loads, in 'on 2' battery is connected to esc or rx or whatever you want to drive.

Use a double pole switch so that both positive and negative leads are switched.

Hope this helps

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »

All very possible, and in small model, desirable.  Double pole switching is overkill, you only need to switch one wire over.  If you can stand the weight, 5 might be better for a bit of extra performance (it is a Vosper), but either way, the only tricky question is whether or not they will stand supplying the current.  Totally agree with the comment about good soldering, not so much from the potential for fire, 250mAH would probably struggle to light a ciggy, but reliability is the issue.  If you make it up as a sausage string, it might be possible to service the pack (i.e. replace it when the batteries have passed their sell by date) without destroying the model.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warspite

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:41:58 pm »

I was wondering if the uniross type were suitable for charging in an enclosed space - heat and all, the circuit below shows what i want to do.

There would be two plugs one plain with no wires, acting as a switch, when inserted it break the circuit contact between terminal 2 and 3, no power to the receiver.

The second plug is attached to the charger used on a 40mhz set via a jump lead this in theory will charge the battery, but will the receiver being connected to terminal 1 be affected? or would this work.

I was also wondering if the lipo's mentioned elsewhere would be usable being that it would be a total enclosed vessel with a drain plug being fitted somewhere on the deck for possible water ingress through the shaft.

Another possible route is there a AAA pack that goes to 6V or a AAA 2/3rds size version of the batteries that would give more power for a lesser weight.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:08:25 pm »

If the charging circuit shown will involve charging the boat from the same charger as the TX, possibly at the same time, I would insert a 190 ohm 1W resistor in the circuit between the jack outer and the rest of the circuit.  This will limit charging current to about 25mA, low enough to be safe, enough for an overnight charge, and will prevent the boat battery affecting the voltage offered to the TX battery.  The only downside is that if both are plugged into the charger, and the supply for the charger is disconnected, the TX battery will be discharging into the boat battery.  Answer is to unplug them with power off.

warspite

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:28:26 pm »

The charger is a Futaba / Ripmax BCN174-U (model P-FBC10D/4) which came with the 6 channel 40mhz set, the batteries are used to power the receiver which in turn powers the small motor, the intention is to install everything in the hull and connect what would be the Rx output connector to the boat to charge the batteries by adapting a servo lead to have the correct plug just like as if charging normal receiver batteries.

I was wondering if the uniross batteries were suitable for the job, or would something like an overlander broken down would be better and if so what people recomend for a very light but 4.8 min - 6 preferable power plant.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »

The batteries will do the job.
Charging them requires some caution because of their small size, hence the suggestion of inserting a charging current limiting resistor.  I have used uniross in the past with no problems, but not that particular size.  Another member of my club has used AAAs in his E boat to good effect, not uniross, but the make, as long as it is reputable, is fairly immaterial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.