Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does my Bum look big in this? P&O's latest and graceless!  (Read 8835 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Does my Bum look big in this? P&O's latest and graceless!
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:03:08 pm »

Stern of P&O Ventura at Southampton today. Can things get any worse?

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Does my Bum look big in this? P&O's latest and graceless!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:07:29 pm »

Prpbably, but what an awful looking thing. Looks like they've taken a 50 seater coach, stuffed a bow on it and some fancy pyramids on top, blown the whole thing up 8 or 9 times and called it a cruise liner. Floating hell hole more like.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

warspite

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »

The smoke stack looks like something out of an oil refinery - probably consumes as much as well

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

And just look at that buff bit intended to make the "funnel area" look a bit P&O'y. It's just wire netting by the look of it. They didn't want something solid which would add wind resistance.

And just imagine the queues when it calls at somewhere like Villefranche where everyone has to go ashore by tender. But of course they don't really want you to go ashore when you could be spending your money in the indoor shopping mall.

Colin

andyn

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »

Looks like they reversed it into the word's biggest brick wall...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:41:30 pm »

I think the white bits at the back are just butresses to stop all the cabins sliding into the sea....

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »

Please let them meet an iceberg and do us all a favour,

Brick walls have more shape, or is it just me  {:-{
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:17:37 pm »

The modern approach to cruise ship design seems to be to design a shopping mall, attach cabins with balconies to the outside and then mount the whole shebang onto a powered barge so it can dodge inclement weather.

chingdevil

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:36 pm »

That is plain ugly from any angle

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »

Uurgggggggghhhh

I look at my  lounge wall with ship prints of the greats (in my opinion) White Star, Cunard etc---- up to QE2) -----

Ekkk, big white things, still someone must love them ( accountants I'm guessing)   >>:-(
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:35:57 pm »

Well, there is a superb model of the old Queen Mary in the nearby Maritime Museum.

omra85

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

I suppose the people on it don't notice how horrible it is.  They sit on their own little balconies looking out over the waves, little realising that to anyone on the outside, they look like prisoners in Cell Block H.
The "right folks, you've got 2 hours to see Venice" approach to exploration never really does it for me!
Everyone to their own ......

Danny

farrow

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:07:00 pm »

As said if you are inboard it is probaly the best thing since sliced bread, but it is what the market wants, a comfortable/affordable floating hotel/intertainment experience. Also it is providing work for some British Officers, there is very little else left on the British registry nowadays and the credit crunch has hit shipping very hard world wide so it is at least making maritime work for a lucky few.

Captain Jack

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 04:56:32 am »

Looks like she's made of plastic. I hope she has large rudders, as with that massive amount of freeboard, I'd bet she could sail faster side ways with a thwartships breeze blowing.

Pointy

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:57:24 pm »

Its horrible, a souless Spanish hotel on top of an ironing board.
It also looks vulnerable to the sea. This emphasis on cabins having balconies, why is that. I mean why would you want to spend time in your cabin so much on a huge ship like that? You just sleep in the cabin Where are all the open decks on that thing? What about mixing it up with your fellow passengers? Or is it that the people who book these things are just so old or fat they can't move around much? Is it a reflection on emphasis on individual indulgence rather than the whole? Its such an effort to walk around an open deck and bump into all those strangers huh? Maybe they will feel different when a typhoon hits them, would you like a solid bulkhead with good porthole or a big opening with a pitching balcony?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:49:50 pm »

Built so that retired gentle-folk from Florida can see the Caribbean before they cash in their chips?
How apt.................
FLJ

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 06:53:51 pm »

Although I agree with most of the comments about "her" design, I would wish for a return to open decks. OK, I know that a ship going forwards is going to generate a wind even in dead calm weather. But what a lot of the buyers of these "cruises" fail to realise is that their little balcony is quite likely to be on the side of the ship that has no sun. Nor would it have sun if the "shine" was coming from forward or aft. A very limited window. On a ship with open decks and efficient wind breakers passengers would be able to move around to wherever suits them. Instead, they are coralled into (or should that be onto) the huge "public" arena where I imagine a bit of solitude, peace and quiet is totally out of the question. Give me open decks any time. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:42:18 pm »

so who's goin' to be the first to build a model of 'er then..............lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0 O0

Steamer

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:53:29 am »

so who's goin' to be the first to build a model of 'er then..............lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0 O0

Perhaps someone from the Model Uboat groups....hint hint......that is pretty ugly isn't it.

Dave

Captain Jack

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 05:45:33 am »

I guess "cruising" is not about cruising anymore. It seems to be about eating till you explode, drinking till you puke, and being seen while you gamble. I must admit, I had a nice cabin to myself while serving as a merchant sailor. It was air conditioned, quiet, and comfortable. I usually slept outside on the weather decks though, weather permitting. The 0-2 level had a perfect salty breeze, and just the right amount of vibration from the engines to make sleeping absolutely delightful. And oh, how I miss the absolute utter darkness at night while at sea! The stars were so vivid and plentiful.
  Just can't see myself paying good money to cruise on the love boats.

nhp651

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »

that is pretty ugly isn't it.

UGLY AS SIN, but someone will still model it........come on stav, you're dying to build one I know {-) {-) {-) {-)

das boot

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

I like it...what a target for a full bow salvo.

Rich

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 05:08:03 pm »

[but someone will still model it...

First take one ironing board...
Don't Assume Check

Steamer

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 12:30:47 am »

Now now,  Remember the old truth

There are two kinds of ships....subs and Targets!

Both are required.....

Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 06:13:30 pm »

I guess "cruising" is not about cruising anymore. It seems to be about eating till you explode, drinking till you puke, and being seen while you gamble. I must admit, I had a nice cabin to myself while serving as a merchant sailor. It was air conditioned, quiet, and comfortable. I usually slept outside on the weather decks though, weather permitting. The 0-2 level had a perfect salty breeze, and just the right amount of vibration from the engines to make sleeping absolutely delightful. And oh, how I miss the absolute utter darkness at night while at sea! The stars were so vivid and plentiful.
  Just can't see myself paying good money to cruise on the love boats.

Couldn't agree more! More than once I used to arrange (in an otherwise empty ocean) for the nav.lights to be turned off and a purely voluntary system of "darken-ship" to be carried out.....just to let the ships complement to come out and behold the splendour that they would never otherwise see. The best thing about the 12-4 night watch (given the conditions) was the "sky at night".
Re. the previous posting.....I really cannot see the point in paying for something I used to be paid for! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.