Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Aerokits crash tender (firefloat) site  (Read 5040 times)

peewee

New Aerokits crash tender (firefloat) site
« on: September 28, 2006, 10:55:50 pm »

Hi, I've just come across this forum - looks like good fun. Over the last few weeks I have brought a 46 inch crash tender back to life (from e-bay) and am working on some other boats of a similar vintage. I am really into older boats with IC engines - and am lucky enough to be part of a club where I can sail them (Brentwood).

I have just started a website - which I hope in time will be a resource for others treading this path (finding out about the real crash tender has been a real challenge over the last year. Others my find this of interest. The website is:

http://pic6.piczo.com/fireboat/

I would be interested in any comments (good or bad) about the site so far.

regards

Pete

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

dazz

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Aerokits crashtender (firefloat) site
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »

hi,i have just had a quick browse at your site,and from what i saw was exellent!very informative in every aspect,i will keep a keen eye on it,dazz

peewee

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:26:50 pm »

Dazz

many thanks. It is nice that someone likes it.

Pete

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:20:41 pm »

Nice site peewee.  Interesting.  Just looked at a few of the sections so far.  More later.  I restored a 34" version a few years ago.
Dismantled it without any effort.  Most of the joints just fell apart.  The glue used looked rubbery, and most of the panel pins used to hold the skins on went into fresh air. Made the job easy.  Sold the boat on.  Time for another. ?
Alan.

peewee

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:35:49 pm »

Nice site peewee.  Interesting.  Just looked at a few of the sections so far.  More later.  I restored a 34" version a few years ago.
Dismantled it without any effort.  Most of the joints just fell apart.  The glue used looked rubbery, and most of the panel pins used to hold the skins on went into fresh air. Made the job easy.  Sold the boat on.  Time for another. ?

Wetwater, thanks for the feedback. I bought this 46 inch crash tender off ebay about a year ago - having retrieved my 34 inch one from the loft after 25 years which I made when I was 14. I spent a long time trying to research - hence the site to make restoring one of these more accessible to others. I am finding it useful for myself to keep all of this info in one place. I have gone a bit OTT using a Robbe F14 to radio control everything in sight - but that has added to the fun. For me, there is something special and nostalgic about the shape of this boat & seeing it tear across the lake with its bow right out of the water, I've got a few videos of it on the site as well.

peewee  :)

freelance 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
Re: New Aerokits crash tender (firefloat) site
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:11:08 am »

Nice looking craft, still try to get the pumps...... 73 Pat

peewee

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:42:29 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

The Irvine pumps come up quite often on e-bay - I think that they are distributed by Ripmax - so Hobbystores (and most other model shops) should be able to get them. I got mine from 308 Hobbies in London. Good luck

regards

Pete

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:32:34 am »

quite special!

peewee

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:40:06 pm »

Just started renovating a 48 inch Sea Queen - I've put a few pics on my website (see link at the start of this thread). I am torn between a quite vicious (it kicked back on a rope when I was testing it & took a big chunk out of my little finger the other week) SC .61 or a rather more gentle Merco 61. Any views?   ???

Also I cannot seem to get either 1/16 or 1/12 figures for my crash tenders (apart from Kaptain Mike from Robbe) - any ideas?   ???

Pete

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 01:17:46 am »

Don't do it it will shake the poor girl to bits.As the Sea Queen is probably over 30 yrs old the glue holding the sides etc has long and is past it's sell by date.I have just bought a Sea Queen and been given a Sea Commander(Thanks Barty230)and both are suffering from the same problem,looks good on the outside BUT when a small crack was spotted on the Sea queen and Commander a Stanley knife was used and I have found out that both are suffering from the same problem,glue that is no longer doing it's job.So be very carefull with it as I suspect that if you prod about enough you will also have the same prob,easily cured with fresh glue,but time consuming

peewee

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 12:34:12 am »

Been to the lake at Brentwood today & have taken some live action shots and some video which I have added to the site.

Pete :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.