Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thames sailing barge  (Read 3784 times)

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
thames sailing barge
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:58 pm »

Hello Everybody, I am a new member, and this is my first post.I recently retired and now find that at last I have the time to do what I have always wanted to do, ie; scratch-build a model boat. I have a little experience of scratch-building model aircraft, but have never seen model boat plans before and would like to know if anyone could point me in the right direction to obtain plans of a Thames barge. I have found a firm on the internet,Brown Son and Ferguson, and wondered if anyone has experience of the plans offered by this firm.
    I would like to say at this point, how friendly a forum this is, and full of amusing comments. I hope that one day I will also be of help to someone in this wonderful hobby of ours. Thankyou. Ray

Daryl

Re: thames sailing barge
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:35 pm »

you could try AMBO (Association of Model Barge Owners) they are very helpful. they did have a web page but I have just looked and it appears to have vanished. however this link may be useful.
www.tradboat2.co.uk/barges/bargemodelling/bargebuild/sources.htm

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:34:31 pm »

This link may come in handy.
www.thamesbarge.org.uk

in the links section there may be several which you would find useful. Does anyone know if AMBO still has a web site? The guy who ran it Richard Chesney was a mine of useful information on Thames BArges.

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:38:59 pm »

the link below is to a web site by Mike Land a painter who has a keen interest in Thames Barges, his web site migth be useful.
www.thames-barge-art.co.uk

Daryl

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:33:05 pm »

Many thanks for all the helpful leads. AMBO does not seem to exist any longer, but I will certainly try any other leads. Ray

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 05:14:29 pm »

"Model Maker" did a nice five-sheet set of plans at 1:48 for the "Will Everard", which included a lot of rigging detail. Don't know if they are still available from Encanta or X-List.

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:46:05 pm »

I have a set of the Will Everard plans at 1/4inch to the foot - 5 detailed sheets for a model with a hull length of 23.5 inches - plus the original building instructions (16 pages) by Bernard Reeve published in Model Maker.

I also have a grp wooden decked hull constructed to these plans scaled up to 36 inches or so from an uncompleted project many years ago. I don't suppose I'll ever make it now so if anyone is interested....

MCR

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 06:08:01 pm »

This is the model I built using plans supplied by Tony Williams on one of his fibre glass hulls I also have the frame and line drawings for the hull.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 06:41:46 pm »

Nice model, I too have one of Tony's hulls his 1/24 Beric. One day I must start it as I have seen the real thing at Maldon.

Maldon is absolutly wonderful for anyone who wants to see TSB's. A pity about AMBO, does anyone know if they are going to re form or have they just decided to drop their web site as I was going to join them. I did see a few of them at Weymouth this year.

Regards
Daryl

MCR

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:05:53 pm »

AMBO is still up and running its just the Web site which is down. As far as I know a new site is up and running if I can locate it I will let you know.

MCR

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:18:33 pm »

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 09:31:46 pm »

Thanks MCR for letting me know.
very much appreciated.

Daryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.