Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WEATHER  (Read 8527 times)

dave301bounty

Re: WEATHER
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 07:44:10 pm »

Fantastic pic .wherewas it .

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »

Tynemouth Lake is, at the moment, unusable. The weed is now so thick and all encompassing that it looks as if you could play a game of cricket on it. It's been like this for 10 days or so. The Lake is owned by the local council (N.Tyneside). We ; as a model boat club, have had a licence  to use the lake exculisively during pre-determined hours fo over a century.
Today being such a nice warm summers day, we had many members of the public just visiting the park and expecting to see the "usual" fleet of model ships. Not to be. Some members of the public seemed to blame TMBC for the weed problem. But when the situation was explained then almost without exception "they" said they would contact both the local council and the local newspaper to complain.
We, as a club, have chivvied the council for years about the weed problem. Promises, promises and more promises....and then zilch.
I'm sure other Clubs have a similar tale to tell, but it's really quite galling when a club with over 100 members and with such a long pedigree is treated with such disdain by our so-called representatives.  BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 09:38:02 pm »

Fantastic pic .wherewas it .
Assuming you mean mine Dave, the first is Aukland and the second is Russell, North Island NZ.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 07:10:39 pm »

Not too sure if this is the correct site for this. Weather is not completely to blame....more the parents who allow slices of bread to be chucked into the lake. The following 3 pics show what Tynemouth Lake looked like this morning...and it's been like this for a couple of weeks or more. Should TMBC ask for a refund on their licence fee?

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »

bry, give  these pics to the committee to send to our local mp, or better still send them direct to his offices in houses of parlament, thats what i did 4years ago and got an official letter back off the mp who said he would get things moving to treat the weed problem, and in less than a week the weed had been treated, it was a big thanks to Mr cambell mp for tynemouth,  some mp,s do work for the people  O0

regiment

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 07:55:21 pm »

went up to the lake here in perranporth to day the water was crystal clear  swans  with 3 cygnets  and ducks in plenty  not a bit of rubbish on the pond  our gardeners have pride in there job

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

tynemouth council asked us to put a display of our models on the water less than 4weeks ago for the fish quay festival ,, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not in that water, me thinks the council are dragging there heels over this,  O0   >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 08:19:16 pm »

Isn't Green algae potentially quite poisonous or is that another type of green algae ?

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »

thought that was blue algae ? i could be wrong

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »

I really couldn't give a fig as to what it's called , either in English or Latin. All I know is what is before my eyes. It is disgusting, smelly and an affront to the many visitors we get to Tynemouth Park. Not shown here, but a fellow club member has a pic of a dead duck trapped in the weed. The Lake (cricket ground?) is between 3 and 4' deep. The weed at the North end is actually solid from the surface to the bottom. But it isn't just us model boaters who are suffering. There are thousands of "non-paying" users of the lake (normally called "Birds") who come in for a wash and brush-up. All gone. And who can blame them. I hate swans. I know that they are beautiful and graceful, but they are anethema where model boating is concerned...they have also gone.
Surprisingly we also have many bipedal visitors to the park and the lake. These visitors are normally referred to as "people". They migrate to the coast from far away places that may even be more than 10 miles away. They come down to the coast expecting a pleasant day out. They do not come to witness an ecological disaster.
One of the problems is that the lake is a "puddled" one. That is, it although it may have stone cladding around the edges, the bottom of the lake is (or was) puddled clay. And that was done around 1890. Not all that much pollution then, I think. So over the years, instead of draining and cleaning the bottom with an industrial form of Baby Andrex (or "Wipes"), the various councils have just let the whole place go to rot. Apart from eating them I'm not a great lover of (edible) birds, but in this instance I do have a certain sympathy. A "man-made" destruction of a natural habitat is inexcusable.
As this problem is so long-running North Tyneside council really should get their rear ends into gear and sort this problem out....not just for us "boaters", but for everybody/thing.. Sorry for taking up your time. Bryan Young.

The long Build

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »

Fully Agree Bryan,
What I was getting at is if the stuff is poisonous than I would have thought he council would have  a duty of care responsibility (or something like that) to get it shifted ASAP.

I know that on a few swims my wife has been in on a Bala in Wales they have had swims cancelled because of algae which was nothing like the pictures above in terms of coverage.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:14 pm »

Fully Agree Bryan,
What I was getting at is if the stuff is poisonous than I would have thought he council would have  a duty of care responsibility (or something like that) to get it shifted ASAP.

I know that on a few swims my wife has been in on a Bala in Wales they have had swims cancelled because of algae which was nothing like the pictures above in terms of coverage.
[/quoteThe lake is council owned and is part of Tynemouth Park. The (new) childrens play area (£600,000) is superb. The Bowling Greens (3) are superb. The flowers and grassy bits are great. But I don't really want to see the lawns migrating over what is argueably the waters of the oldest model boat club in the world. I fear I am getting a bit wound up about this. Sorry. BY.

garston1

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 10:09:16 pm »

New Brighton on the banks of the Mersey, yes THE River Mersey last Wednesday, it looks like the Med, now officially one of the cleanest rivers in Europe. Why would you need to go abroad? It was so hot last week , my portable Barbie (not the doll!) ignited itself on the beach! Even too hot for my poor old dog.

The long Build

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 10:46:39 pm »

Cracking picture , could easily be the med that..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05:41 pm »

The beaches at Tynemouth and Cullercoats (and Whitley Bay) are all kept very well...and the sea water and the river Tyne are now thankfully almost free of the infamous "Tyne Trout". (Not that I have searched for them.....)
But as I cannot see more than 50 yards out towards the sea because of the fog (shades of dead sailors fingers trying to gain entry) I must go out and Fix My Bloody Gate. Again.

garston1

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »

The Mersey used to have 'Mersey trout', and there'd be a good chance you'd eat one if you were swimming! But now.... Salmon, Dolphins, Porpoise, big Cod and the odd dead body.

Wasyl

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:44 am »

Any guesses to where this was taken, Me and my smaller half suffice to say,its was someones back garden {-)

Wullie & Avril

Proteus

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:20 am »

Any guesses to where this was taken, Me and my smaller half suffice to say,its was someones back garden {-)

Wullie & Avril

the Von Trap family

Proteus

hopeitfloats

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 08:09:21 am »

that pond is truely gross. does it normally get that bad. we get the algae in our some of our rivers in the height of summer but not anything like that. usually caused by too much nitrogen (bird deposits ?? maybe)  water too warm and lack of flow.  a bad drawback of having a hot summer.

Wasyl

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 10:37:09 am »

Wullie & Avril

the Von Trap family

Proteus
Your very warm

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 10:50:35 am »

Adolf Hitlers back garden at The Eagles Nest.

Did you not see the keep off the grass sign ?  {:-{

garston1

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 02:30:26 pm »

He must've had some Lawnmower

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 02:32:45 pm »

He only used it once, never could find where it went.  ok2

garston1

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 05:11:10 pm »

He probably didn't get it back when he invaded next doors garden
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.