Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Footy Pirate Bottle Build  (Read 7517 times)

AndyT

Footy Pirate Bottle Build
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:08 pm »

Ok Martin asked for it so here we go again ~ A Comprehensive Footy Build log.
There will be lots of pictures measurements and info for you if you fancy having a go.

Please feel free to ask questions ~ I will do my best to answer them.

Prelude
For those who know me, you will know that I love to try and build bottle Footy’s and I have made three to date. “Tinny” “Tubby” & “BottleIT”
Built predominately out of scrap with the odd bit I have had to buy to consume the contents so as to refresh the parts that others can’t reach.

Concept
Following a recent show where I exhibited a Fleet of Footy’s, I was very taken with some of the other exhibitors and their displays of scale dioramas and the detail that they had gone to.

The idea came to me that perhaps I could also do a character Footy but as a working diorama

Research
I have often seen character boats and did a Cat boat from a George Turner “Freya” hull that I named “PussyFoot” as a gee up to David Buckingham to get on with his 1:6 scale cat boat complete with Barbie Dolls as crew.

More in a bit

AndyT

Re: Footy Pirate Bottle Build
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »

Research Cont.
According to Wiki, Galleons were an evolution in the caravel and carrack, with a lowering of the forecastle and elongation of the hull, which gave an unprecedented level of stability in the water and reduced wind resistance at the front, leading to a faster, more manoeuvrable vessel 20 to 30 meters in length.

Now if I take 305mm and multiply it by 72, I get 21960 or nearly 22 meters. So clearly I can use this to get some reality and ready moulded figurines to crew the new Footy Pirate Bottle.

Lakeside comments
Whenever I take “Tubby to Marine Lake at Clevedon the reaction I get is always the same “It’s a Bottle Boat” and I am frequently asked how I built it and they are always amazed at its simplicity ~ I frequently hear children asking parents “can we build one of those please?”

Bottle choice
As you can see from the previous pictures – Tinney was made from small water bottles, Tubby & BottleIT were made from 2 litre lemonade bottles.
Tubby has a very high freeboard – to overcome this I created BottleIT which as you can see is foamed and cut in half.

I decided that I needed to find a half way house between the two and have chosen a 1.5 litre bottle. Its more slender neck will not present so much resistance and gives more of a rocker shape although not at the stern.

However there are clear advantages (Intended Pun) and I will be able to insert deck spaces that can be viewed.

AndyT

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »

Figurines
1:72 Scale figures were obtained through Drum & Flag – Orion 72001 English Pirates XVIII Century seemed the best choice at £5.60 + £2.20 p&p.
These arrived very quickly – on their advice, I first washed them in warm soapy water and lightly scrubbed them with a soft brush to remove any casting residue.

Next I took a no.3 scalpel and with the aid of a powerful Lupe trimmed off moulding lines and imperfections – I should say that there were very few of these and I was very impressed with the level of detail.

It's a personal preference, but I like to leave the figures on the casting while I paint, it allows me to put some variation into the paint schemes.

All the paints were Revell enamel, thinned as necessary and applied so far with a 2 x 0 brush.

Not completed yet, the finer detail will be done with 4 x 0 & 5 x 0 brushes later to add in stubble, beards, facial details and shading between fingers and toes etc.

This are the results so far ~ enjoy
More soon
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:11:37 pm »

The bottle was the easy part and once the kids had consumed the contents, I took off the label and removed the sticky remnants of the glue with “Sticky Stuff Remover” (Lakeland) washed it out with warm soapy water swilled it out and let it dry.

Another bottle boat builder Walt Hollinger in the USA always has problems with stopping the bottle curling in when it has been cut – On Tubby I had solved this by using a small Swarfega Tub and decided to do the same with this build.
This has some immediate advantages
1.   Its water proof ~ so I get a double hull
2.   Having a screw lid it always goes back on to the same place
3.   It gives a flat surface to bring the servos through (or build inside)
4.   Room to hide other things ~ to be revealed later……

I created a paper template and trimmed it so as to allow the tub to pass through as a tight fit. (Remember that the bottle is curved so it’s not just a direct trace round the tub)

Then mark out and cut the hatch, checking that the tub could still get through.
You will notice that there is quite a gap between the bottom of the tub and the side of the bottle ~ this will form the area taken up by the keel assembly.

The keel is made from scrap ply that I get from the back of my greengrocer – it’s the Satsuma crates he throws out with his rubbish – bit of TLC and good as anything you can buy at the model shop – unless that is you need some real thin stuff. I’ve nicknamed it Satsuma-Ply.

Once the keel is shaped I glue a ply block either side of the keel and then make shallow “D” shape matching the curve of the bottle in some more ply to go either end of the keel blocks so as to form an “H” section. I then top off the “H” with more ply to make it very ridged.

At this point I would normally sand prime etc before fitting but on this occasion I have to start to reveal part of my secret weapon… I drill a 5mm hole down through the keel platform so as to exit below the hull at the trailing edge of the keel.
A 5mm aluminium tube is then inserted trimmed and glued flush to the trailing edge but proud of the top by about 12mm. This allows me to connect something later…

Now I prime and spray to finish.

More later
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »

Make it Fit!
Now is the time to make the bottle fit the box as in its native form it’s too long to comply.
If you are not bothered then I recommend you leave it on and paint a figure head on the cap.

There is a very easy way to decide where to cut, just pop a ping-pong ball in the hatch and let it rest inside the neck you will see where it wants to sit mark a ring round the bottle at that point, remove the ball and cut the neck off with a junior hack saw

I decorated my ping-pong ball to look like my pirate antenna ball.

Gently sand the inside lip of the bottle to give the glue a better chance to grip.
Place the ball on top of a pipe, slide the bottle over the top – feint pencil mark round the ball – remove bottle – Zappa-dappa round the line and on the inside of the bottle neck – put ball back on top of pipe and replace bottle lining it up as before. Leave over night to set.

While we are mentioning glues – Bottles are made from PET and it is very hard to get anything to stick to it.
After much trial and testing on another web site, I found that Zappa-dappa-Goo II was by far the best and good quality double sided tape to stick other materials to the PET.

Trying to stick PET to PET is near impossible

More soon.

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:55 pm »

Hi Andy
Home from Spain

My Barbies are better than you crew

Regards Dave

AndyT

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:20:59 pm »

Nice to have you back Dave, Ive missed seeing the girls
I'll give you all the news tomorrow
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:51:20 am »

Upper Deck
The next phase is to add the upper deck that will sit on inwhales running down each side, it’s a bit fiddly but can be done. The thin ply is cut into three sections and shaped to fit the bottle.

It’s useful at this point to use a marker on the outside of the bottle so you can see where the deck is going (this can be removed later). The front and rear deck sections have coffee stick lips for the central section to rest on.

The inwhales are formed from the cannon off cut from the wood trim moulding.
Cannon barrels are from scrap bits of 4mm carbon tube.
An off cut of this wood is also glued to the back of the bottle for the rudder tube.
Fit the inwhales with the double sided tape. And then do a re-check to ensure that it all goes together as expected – including the tub.

Slide the Bow upper deck in first then the central section and let that slide on top of the bow section.
Now slide the rear top deck into position and refit the central section so that it rests on the lips. Does the the tub still fits OK?

Lower Deck
Done in a similar way to the previous section however much easier as they rest on a lip fwd. & aft of the keel.

Planking
I decided to try and give some authenticity to the look so I drew 2mm spaced lines running fwd & aft with staggered divisions at 40mm spacing.
Once complete spray with an enamel varnish on both sides.

AndyT

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:12 pm »

I should apologise I forgot to add the planking photos last time so here they are

Attaching the Keel
The keel has to be trial fitted first and once in place, draw lines on the outside of the bottle where the “H” section touches.(This is just a guide and can be removed later) Remove the keel and sand the inside of the bottle where the outside lines show through. This will help the Zappa-Dappa to grip and show you where to put the glue.

Having glued both the “H” in the bottle and the keel “H” leave for 1 to 2 minutes before assembling. Having assembled them together I then turn the hull upside down and clamp the keel vertical and then adjust so that the hull is horizontal (spirit level)

Once done string loops with weights are put over the hull and brought up to the “H” so as to assist with a firm equal pressure round the hull at the point of contact with the keel – leave till set.

AndyT

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »

I'm going to let the pictures do most of the talking from now so as not to bore the pants off you ~ but please if you have any questions or comments then please go ahead

I do hope you have enjoyed my build to date ~ constructive criticisms are welcome

I have a question ~ has anyone else done a Footy Diorama?

Best Wishes
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:57:26 am »

Observation
The keen eyed among you will have spotted that I changed the inwhales. I did this as I realised that the depth of the wood obstructed the view of the lower deck.
The new inwhales are plastic and have a Ω profile. I used 5mm DST to fix them to the bottle.

This was actually an inspiration because it also allows me to slide the main deck sections to the hatch to glue the figures before sliding it back again.

I will be finishing off the pump, electronics etc this week and doing some trial sailings before this weekends Footy Pirate Festival at Clevedon on the 14th.

I took the unfinished work to Knightcote MBC’s open day on Sunday afternoon where visitors and members were amazed at its detail.

More pictures as I do them.
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »

Thanks I should have made my self clearer should have read "Pirate Bottle Footy Build"
if you would be so kind as i have some others to do a build on if folks want me to?
Rgds
AndyT

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:13:41 pm »

Topic renamed.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

AndyT

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:32:19 pm »

Every thing has now been finished
Boat balanced to CLR
Flags and pennants all work (Wind-icator’s)
Electronics inc the H2º cannon. This shoots water 1.5m against the wind!
In Scale terms that’s about 350ft! (Might be good if we get a boat on fire!)

I do hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have had in build it.
So Sunday is the big day “Clevedon Footy Pirate Festival”

Pirate Island as mark No1, Galleon as mark No2 and Wreck as mark No3 will form the main course as well as the footy course.

There will be all sizes of boats there ~ so it’s a good chance to have a bit of fun
The days report and pictures will be posted in the other thread

Many thanks for looking
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:53:53 am »

Rite me arties lets be avin ya ~ I'z erd thers treasure t' be-ad on dis ere island near Clevedon tomrra.

Hazza look at dis-ere pictymap an e will seez wat i dus mean

Was tink ~ Can we get t' treasure me arties?
Cum on ye can make it
See-yaz there
Rgds
AndyT

AndyT

Re: Footy Pirate Bottle Build Publicity
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »

I let my son enter this boat in the Footy Pirate Festival at Clevedon last weekend
By default he won the Best Fancy dressed Junior and best dressed boat he also sailed this boat and got through the "Pop the Pirate" event
Suffering from ME he did well to do what he did but next day he found that he had over done things and suffered a bit.

You can read the newspaper article http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/clevedon/Pirates-descend-Marine-Lake-footy-festival/article-1083556-detail/article.html and view the pictures http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/clevedon/galleries/Pirate-Footy-Festival-gallery-1083475-detail/gallery.html

Best wishes
AndyT

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.