Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2799 times)

HULLTOM

Advice please
« on: June 01, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »

Ive decided to start my ship modelling life with the Imex Nedlloyd Bahrain plastic ship non motorised as ive never modelled ships before and this seems a safe option. Would i need to wet and dry the hull before painting with this model as the plastic isnt all that thick??. Would that matter?? Has anyoen else modelled either this ship or any of the others in the range before? Thanks for looking :)

amdaylight

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »

How long is the hull? How wide? How deep?  After rereading your post I came away with the feeling that you are not going to make this an RC boat, is that right? As to wet and dry sanding of the hull, the only time that would need to be done is if the seam along the center line needs filling otherwise all I do is scrub the hull with Comet Cleanser tall though I noticed that on the latest container it says "Scratch Free", I hope this is not a case of improving an old product that did not need improving. >>:-(

Good luck and keep us apprised of your progress.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

HULLTOM

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40:02 am »

Hi there,yes you are correct this will be just a static model. Will keep you all updated on my progress asap. Many thanks for your suggestion. :)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:31:45 am »

I try and keep glue from spreading all over the model and give it a wash with mild washing up liquid pior to painting. Biggest mistake I use to make was touching the model after washing it leaving finger prints on it. The paint didn't like it at times.

Dry with hair dryer if in a hurry .

Gooooogle "plastic kit preparation" , some good results like this one.

Here is a link to go on with      http://www.world-war-2-airplane-model.com/preparation.html

I know its a plane but they're all manufactured in the same way.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:54:42 am »

How long is the hull? How wide? How deep?  After rereading your post I came away with the feeling that you are not going to make this an RC boat, is that right?

Andre
Come on Andre what is it about " non motorised " that you dont understand ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HULLTOM

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:29 am »

How long is the hull? How wide? How deep?  After rereading your post I came away with the feeling that you are not going to make this an RC boat, is that right?

Andre
Come on Andre what is it about " non motorised " that you dont understand ?
{-)

ZZ56

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:55:20 pm »

The plastic shouldn't be too smooth as this creates problems with paint adhesion.  Better to just fill and sand the seams, prime, put down several coats of paint and then buff those to a shine.

There was a thread, either here or on RCgroups, about how to motorize one of the Imex kits but as they are so small that they only work well in calm water.  It's still a good help for general bulding, i'll see if I can find it for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.