Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: good propshaft?  (Read 5723 times)

tight-lines

good propshaft?
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »

hi,please can you recomend me a make of propshaft,to use,,,it will be below the water line,and in 4 thread,,thanks

andyn

Re: good propshaft?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »

Ripmax ones have served me fine so far :-))

They are easy enough to cut down to size as well if you need to.

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=I-SB01/150&selectedtab=050&Category=050-010-070

tight-lines

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:35 pm »

thanks,,,what stops the grease comming out the end with no nut and washer?,,,,

andyn

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:24:25 pm »

No grease in it, water lubricated. There is a nut and washer on the prop end, but it has brass / bronze bushings on each end.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »

Cornwall Model Boats do all sorts at reasonable prices and their service is excellent.

They even do waterproof ones.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/boat_prop_shafts.html
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »

If you want one that will never leak and don't mind spending a little more try Scale Hobbies, the chap who makes them makes them for ROV's and he knows what he is doing, a really nice bit of kit, fit and forget , real oil seals etc

http://www.scalehobbies.net/id24.html

Proteus

tight-lines

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:29:29 pm »

hi,,what is a bearing? is it a ball bearing,,if so how does the shaft turn with a bearing in the middel,,,

andyn

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:53 pm »

It's either a group of freely spinning ball bearings in a circular cage around the end of the shaft (around not in), or a group of freely spinning short stainless steel rods, also in a cage around the shaft. When kept oiled / greased they keep the rotation smooth as a baby's a*** and keep out water to boot :-))

tight-lines

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »

cheers,, ;)

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »

Hi there, I'm a newbie and don't know much about model boats, but the propshaft I am using comes from Deans Marine and has an oiler tube fitted to it which seems to be a good idea. They were also really helpful when I ran them up to ask silly questions.

tight-lines

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:25:27 pm »

hi,i wont have the option to re oil mine it will be totaly sealed in the boat,thanks anyway

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 06:26:48 pm »

Hi there, I'm a newbie and don't know much about model boats, but the propshaft I am using comes from Deans Marine and has an oiler tube fitted to it which seems to be a good idea. They were also really helpful when I ran them up to ask silly questions.
jonny shoreboy I use the Deans prop shafts too and they are excellent  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Proteus

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 07:08:18 pm »

well it looks like the Hanna ones as they dont need touching for 1600 hours running, but you have to pay for that.

under model boats

http://www.hanna-parts.co.uk/

Proteus

tight-lines

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 11:43:57 am »

hi,please can you tell me if this make has ever been used by you guys,,J PERKINS ,,,,,i have looked at these props and there cheap,,and bcos ill be using a 12" long propshaft,this length when stuffed with grease should keep the water out bcos of its long length?,,,well thats my thinking,,,,,please note that it will be totaly flat along the length of the boat, bellow the water line,
thanks in advance for the help guys O0

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:48 pm »

Be careful what type of grease - a stiff type will place a large load on the motor, the longer the shaft, the greater the load.  Use a light water repellent grease such as a silicone type.  Using a pair of brass washers between prop locknut ant shaft end with an "O" ring between them helps as well, especially if it gets treated to some light grease.  Planning a prop shaft that can't be serviced is generally a recipe for a disposable boat.  Most shaft tubes can have a lube tube soldered on, and a plastic tube fitted to that so that fresh lube can be introduced.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tight-lines

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 08:29:38 am »

hi,thanks,,,,i took what you have said on board and i have orderd 2 sealed propshafts,,,,9" long,,,with a oil washer on one end,,,,
these are what i have orderd,,bcos they seemed to be cheap enuff for what they do,,,just hope they dont cause alot of friction,or leak
the link i have posted is to ebay,,hope this is ok,,if not ,,,sorry and just remove :-)),,,,,,,,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2009-WATER-TIGHT-9-M4-STAINLESS-PROPELLER-SHAFT_W0QQitemZ390056713182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item5ad1311bde&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

thats a big link!!!!,,,,,,,, do you guys think these should be ok?

Proteus

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 11:01:52 am »

that is Hanna parts same chap,

Proteus

tight-lines

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 11:13:22 am »

couldnt see this prop on his website when i looked?

Proteus

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 11:21:58 am »

when you read the ebay ad it says new for 2009 and he is slow updating things thats why it says about shafts ordered in 2008 will not be sent out till 2009, it is the same person and he is a member of this site.

Proteus

tight-lines

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »

ive orderd them througth ebay,,its good to know that he is on this site as i would imagine there good quality then,,looking forward to putting my boat together now,,,,just need prop blades,,2x 545-12 motors,,,,action mixer,,,and i can start messing,,,,,
i know its a hard question at this stage and ill need to swap and change,,but roughly what would be a good size or shape propblade to begin with,just a guess,,,twin hull cat,,7 kilo weight

Proteus

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »

you need between 35mm and 40mm on them motors go for a couple of plastic ones and when you you get what you want you could go for brass i don't know how much plastic props cost these days but i would get 2 of each to try, if it is a bait boat you don't want it trashing about, are you running 6v or 12 volt ?

Proteus

tight-lines

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 02:55:50 pm »

hi,i have 6v sla,,,and 12v,,,sla,,,,also some 11.1v lipos so im pretty coverd,with regards to the batteys,,,,itl be just a matter of what works best
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.