Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The end of an era...  (Read 2216 times)

das boot

The end of an era...
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:46:34 pm »

Today was a bad day for me chaps...I failed (quite spectacularly I may add) a DVLA ordered treadmill test at my local hospital. A complete failure, I was told by the doctor who carried out the test...and so that means only one thing. The loss of my HGV1 licence and the end to a nigh on forty year trucking career. I have but a few days to go whilst the DVLA process the hospital report and withdraw my licence, and then it's all over. No more persecuting the motorists on the highways of East Sussex, no more enjoying the views in my mirrors and monitors of queues of traffic crawling along behind me, no more driving up and down one way streets the wrong way and going around roundabouts the wrong way....I am doomed to life behind the wheel of puddle jumpers from now on.

So guys..if I've held you up in any way as you've passed through my patch, if you've been delayed because of me, if you've cursed that big orange mobile traffic calming device in front of the queue of  traffic you are in, then I would like to take this opportunity to say to you all....tough!!! And I mean that from the heart of my bottom...

May you all drive in peace from now on...

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: The end of an era...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:56:12 pm »

From one ex trucker to a soon to be another, my sympathies.  :((

Though it will be great to drive down to Hastings to see my daughter without getting stuck behind you. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:42 pm »

It's been a pleasure holding you up DD..... O0

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »

Does this mean the South of England becomes a better place to visit??? {-) {-)

No seriously Rich, bad luck. Any chance of a retest at some time after a little running on a treadmill for a week or two? <:( <:(

If not, then think about retirement.......More time to build subs and round things!! :-)) :-))

Barry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:57:46 pm »

Sorry to hear that old boy, well otherwise?

I though the lorrist were tested for things like swearing, obscene hand gestures, overtaking whilst going up hill,  simultaneously balancing, a flask, The Sun, a triple meat sandwitch, eating a Yorkie, using a sat nav while speaking on a phone!

Do you think the firm will offer you a smaller vehicle or another job?
 ("Firm", that's rich these days!  {:-{ )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:05:14 pm »

Does this mean the South of England becomes a better place to visit??? {-) {-)

No seriously Rich, bad luck. Any chance of a retest at some time after a little running on a treadmill for a week or two? <:( <:(

If not, then think about retirement.......More time to build subs and round things!! :-)) :-))

Barry

Hello young Barry! No worries really, I've had more than enough of trucking now, I don't really care if I never see another truck. It was the running on the treadmill  that did for me mate...or rather, staggering on the treadmill. It was bl**dy hard graft on that thing, never worked so hard in me life!

Sorry to hear that old boy, well otherwise?

I though the lorrist were tested for things like swearing, obscene hand gestures, overtaking whilst going up hill,  simultaneously balancing, a flask, The Sun, a triple meat sandwitch, eating a Yorkie, using a sat nav while speaking on a phone!

Do you think the firm will offer you a smaller vehicle or another job?
 ("Firm", that's rich these days!  {:-{ )

Hello Martin,

Well, they can't fire me, that's for sure...I lost my HGV on medical grounds, so they have to find me another job within the council. I'm going to volunteer (dangerous....) to drive the bin delivery truck again, I did that whilst waiting for my licence to be re-instated after the heart attack, it's not a bad little number. The guy who does it now drove my sweeper whilst I was in hospital, so it should be just a case of swapping jobs.

Mind you, with the council anything can happen...any probably will.

Rich

amdaylight

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »

Rich,

I have over 19 years as a over the road owner operator here in the US, I gave it up for other reasons and still miss it. It never really gets out of the system. Good luck with the council (I am assuming that you work for one of the local city governments).

By the way we haven't heard any thing about a round thing in while, is he working on it.  ;D

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon.

PS I am glad to see you still here on the Mayhem, you have become one of my favorite posters.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

Sorry to hear your bad news Rich ,but despite holding up the traffic I wouldn't mind betting you've prevented one or two accidents in your time by actually slowing down one or two nutters along the way.
God luck with future alternatives.
Chris

das boot

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:12:24 pm »

Sorry to hear your bad news Rich ,but despite holding up the traffic I wouldn't mind betting you've prevented one or two accidents in your time by actually slowing down one or two nutters along the way.
God luck with future alternatives.
Chris

Do you know Chris, funny you say that...we once got pulled over by the police during a mammoth two sweeper session along the A27 (Hastings to Portsmouth road)...we 'd been working along that road for four days and causing huge tailbacks. On the third day the old bill stopped the pair of us, and asked how much longer we'd be...we told him about another two days or so. He replied "couldn't make it last another week, could you?" Apparently the accident rate had dropped off to virtually zero, the traffic was moving that slowly...

Rich,

I have over 19 years as a over the road owner operator here in the US, I gave it up for other reasons and still miss it. It never really gets out of the system. Good luck with the council (I am assuming that you work for one of the local city governments).

By the way we haven't heard any thing about a round thing in while, is he working on it.  ;D

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon.

PS I am glad to see you still here on the Mayhem, you have become one of my favorite posters.

Andre...thank you for the kind words. I do try my best, you know....trouble is, my sense of humour doesn't appeal to everyone! Neither does my driving, but what the heck....!

As for round things...I haven't room at the moment, I got this long black Russian thing taking over the whole of my flat.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.