Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: M.O.T. Reminder  (Read 6205 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
M.O.T. Reminder
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:00:44 am »

Just reading an article about car owners that forget to renew their M.O.T.s

Owners can be fined up to a maximun of £1000. The  UK Government is potentially able to acquire £6.5 billion (yes a billion) in fines each year for this offence. It is about the only thing that does not send you a reminder when it is due. Can you blame them for not reminding owners, its more money to them.

Here is a link of a site that does remind owners that there M.O.Ts are due and its free, so it says.

http://www.mot-reminder.com/

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: M.O.T. Reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:51 am »

I think you're being a bit paranoid thinking that reminders are not sent so the government can raise fines.

They they wanted to do that surely there would be an automatic fine when it runs out after a week or so... like late tax returns.

They give you a sticker for your windscreen these days so really it's down to the owner to remember.

I know, I forgot last year and didn't get a fine :-))

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:39 am »

We've just had this very problem...

The (first) MOT on my wife's Shogun should have been done in January.  The main dealer who looks after our cars SHOULD have notified us that it was due but didn't - it was only when the MOT became due on my own vehicle (which was done yesterday) that we started looking around in the paperwork for a certificate for hers - and discovered that there wasn't one!

Luckily, I managed to get it booked in the next morning.

On the basis that all MOT's are notified to the DVLA by the tester, you would think that the DVLA would query why no valid MOT certificate was in force with the vehicle keeper?

Malc

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:36 am »

Like the old days when bog paper had "Now wash your hands" on every sheet. ;)

madrob

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:02:25 am »

Our garage sends out reminders about 28 days before its due

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:01:07 am »

no mot isnt realy a problem as long as your cars insured, taxed and roadworthy, lack of mot can not invalidate your insurance ( most people think it can )  You dont get anythig realy for no mot,

i didnt mot mine for ages one time, i forgot!, it ran out august 2007 i was pulled january 2008 by an automatic numberplate police car, they give you a fixed penalty ticket for £80 and no points, if you argue it then you can get a big fine and go to court

I would have noticed when i went to get my road tax in march

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:53:50 am »

It goes up to their  site on the net when you pass . Surely they would remind you, of course as I said earlier there is no money in it for them and it would be an added government expense to remind us. They also can check to see if you have a MOT and insurance when doing your road tax and  on line.

I wouldn't like to argue about your car insurance being invalid if you don't have or renewed your MOT.

Captain Povey

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:25 pm »

Its reassuring to know that I am not the only one to forget the renewal. Fortunately I remembered before getting stopped. Cheers Graham.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:07 pm »

Re. bog paper. The MoD used to supply us with the old "shiny" stuff. Each and every sheet had "Property of the Ministry of Defence" written on it. I used to think that they should have had a second line...."Please Return After Use" (after all, you were destroying MoD property!). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

das boot

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:51:31 pm »

Re. bog paper. The MoD used to supply us with the old "shiny" stuff. Each and every sheet had "Property of the Ministry of Defence" written on it. I used to think that they should have had a second line...."Please Return After Use" (after all, you were destroying MoD property!). BY.

Council bog paper has "please recycle now" written through it....

Rich

tugnut

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:05:07 pm »

Its reassuring to know that I am not the only one to forget the renewal. Fortunately I remembered before getting stopped. Cheers Graham.
You are right there i fogot mine , and I AM AN  MOT TESTER :embarrassed: {-) {-)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:15:32 pm »

We had to use both sides in the GPO Telephones {:-{

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:03 pm »

We had to use both sides in the GPO Telephones {:-{
But you were one of them posh lot south of the river.  Us lot on the north side of the Ribble wondered where it all went to before we got it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

andygh

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:33 pm »

I wouldn't like to argue about your car insurance being invalid if you don't have or renewed your MOT

it is true though  O0

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 07:06:31 am »

I believe part of you receiving car insurance is that it is MOTed. They can check as they have a computer link to DVLA.  {:-{

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 08:13:46 am »

If the Government(so called) were not so embroiled inthe 'fine' culture as a way of raising revenue and were as concerned about health and safety as they appear, they would have issued the whole motoring nation with a plastic card which one would have to present when purchasing fuel. On it would be the relevant information regarding the M.O.T information for your particular vehicle and at some point, prior to the expiry of the M.O.T, your petrol receipt would remind you that you had limited time left before you would be unable to purchase fuel for the vehicle. You would certainly NEVER forget to renew on time if you knew the car would be grounded through inability to purchase your fuel.
In this age of technology, all these things are possible... but they don't do it, ask yourself why?...... Simple, they wouldn't have the ability to cash in on the fines they currently enjoy.
They could do exactly the same thing by putting the road tax on the fuel, they won't do that either. The present system keeps tens of thousands in work.... Police, DVLA, printers, office workers, post office workers etc etc and of course, our beloved council offices who push the bits of paper around and coin in the fines they levy. Oh, and I forgot to mention the legal system, they get a shipload of vehicle owner prosecutions out of it too.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 08:37:02 am »

It used to be that insurance was/could be invalidated by lack of mot, i have been told by a couple of insurance companies and by a few police drivers that they can no longer invalidate your insurance for no mot, it is a legal requirement for them to cover you mot or not

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 08:40:43 am »

If the Government(so called) were not so embroiled inthe 'fine' culture as a way of raising revenue and were as concerned about health and safety as they appear, they would have issued the whole motoring nation with a plastic card which one would have to present when purchasing fuel. On it would be the relevant information regarding the M.O.T information for your particular vehicle and at some point, prior to the expiry of the M.O.T, your petrol

Imagine the moaning if they really did do that....

Having to have a card issued by "Big Brother" before you can buy petrol....

More Nanny state....etc....etc....

and

How would I buy petrol for my 1:1 boat

No lets just remember when our MOTs are due and get the car tested..after all you have a month before it runs out...

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 09:14:33 am »

Hi Frankie, bear in mind that I am not supporting the idea, far from it, but was rather suggesting that they have the ability to control everything if they so wished and the reason they don't is because it is financialy more beneficial for them not to ...ie- fines , jobs etc.
The last thing any of us want is more control , they have got us strapped down more than enough as it is...I despise them for it! >:-o

keef666

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

when my mot was due on my bike, i use to take it a month before it ran out , if it failed it gave me a month to fix and was still on road, if it passed it gave me 13 months till next time, now its all on line, i think  you can only go two weeks before it runs out, it normally take 15 mins to mot my bike, but because they weren't making enough money out of it they said it has to take 20 mins + and then charge you more, today it still takes 15 mins and you sit around waiting for the computer, its just another con on the motorist of this country,  i am waiting for another fuel blockade next now fuel is £ 1.oo+ a litre, the country is in reccesstion, the stuff should be cheap to get people and business back on there feet again,  its a pity everyone in country stopped using their vehicles for a few days that would screw them for a few million,            

back to mot,s  thanks for the moan, Keith

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 10:11:17 am »

I pay £40 for my MOT and I go before it is well due. Been going to the same place for it over the last 10 years it only does MOTs and they're fair. Replaced a tail bulb and passed it which I didn't know, so went back and gave the lad a fiver for a drink.

kepp666 What is the set fee for a motorbike's MOT these days ? Can you shop around to get a better price like us motorist can ??

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »

when my mot was due on my bike, i use to take it a month before it ran out , if it failed it gave me a month to fix and was still on road, if it passed it gave me 13 months till next time, now its all on line, i think  you can only go two weeks before it runs out, it normally take 15 mins to mot my bike, but because they weren't making enough money out of it they said it has to take 20 mins + and then charge you more, today it still takes 15 mins and you sit around waiting for the computer,

My Bike MOT always has taken about half an hour or so with the tester inspecting all the time, doing a fair test, no sitting around waiting for the computer.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 01:15:04 pm »

I remember sitting in the brew room talking about MOTs.
I said mine had just been done with only a couple of jobs.
The next chap said his passed with out the mechanic doing anything.
The next said his passed without the tester seeing it :embarrassed:

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »

Hi Frankie, bear in mind that I am not supporting the idea, far from it, but was rather suggesting that they have the ability to control everything if they so wished and the reason they don't is because it is financialy more beneficial for them not to ...ie- fines , jobs etc.
The last thing any of us want is more control , they have got us strapped down more than enough as it is...I despise them for it! >:-o
Whether or not you support the idea, I don't see that not sending out reminders is part of a plot to raise money by fining people for out of date test certificates. If that was the case surely they would just wait a couple of weeks and issue fixed fines on any vechicle not retested.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »

Fixed fines, don't give em any ideas. Still, I think we should have a reminder. 

Maybe its because its the MOTers that make the money, not them.

Unless there is a cut of the action that we Joe/Jean public don't know about.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.