Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: M.O.T. Reminder  (Read 6152 times)

keef666

Re: M.O.T. Reminder
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 03:05:26 pm »

the bike mot is £25.00 when i said they sit around waiting for the computer, i meant, few years ago they weren't making enough money out of it, some types took longer than others, so they came up with a time of 30 Min's to do a bike,  my old yamaha used to take 11 Min's, i know as i timed him doing it, now because they brought in the online mot, the dealer has to log in, do the test then put the information to the dvla, but if you bike only takes 15 Min's etc, because the dealer is hooked up to the dvla he has to take longer other wise they think he's up to no good, so thats why your waiting around, its suppose to make it faster, lol
  also thats right its the dealer who makes the money, as they buy a book of mot slips for whatever the fee theses days, then they charge you a set fee for the test, so a busy mot centre is coining it, i used to work in motorcycle shop many years back, and the pass or failure had to be sent down to dlva,
 Keith

madrob

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »

i wouldnt say our mot centre makes that much out of each test, we charge £40 vosa want us to charge £56 out of that 40 we have to pay for the ramp inspecting, emissions machine testing, brake rollers testing, we buy the mot slots off vosa. the 45 mins slots on the computer that is.
The reason vosa came up with 45 mins for a test is, they asked all the garages how long it took to do a mot, most thought it was some kinda trap and said 30 to 35 mins, so vosa added a few mins for entering into computer and thats your 45mins.
It takes the main tester at our garage 15 to 20 mins at most

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »

If the Government(so called) were not so embroiled inthe 'fine' culture as a way of raising revenue and were as concerned about health and safety as they appear, they would have issued the whole motoring nation with a plastic card which one would have to present when purchasing fuel. On it would be the relevant information regarding the M.O.T information for your particular vehicle and at some point, prior to the expiry of the M.O.T, your petrol receipt would remind you that you had limited time left before you would be unable to purchase fuel for the vehicle. You would certainly NEVER forget to renew on time if you knew the car would be grounded through inability to purchase your fuel.
In this age of technology, all these things are possible... but they don't do it, ask yourself why?...... Simple, they wouldn't have the ability to cash in on the fines they currently enjoy.
They could do exactly the same thing by putting the road tax on the fuel, they won't do that either. The present system keeps tens of thousands in work.... Police, DVLA, printers, office workers, post office workers etc etc and of course, our beloved council offices who push the bits of paper around and coin in the fines they levy. Oh, and I forgot to mention the legal system, they get a shipload of vehicle owner prosecutions out of it too.

What a brilliant and cheap idea! Start a new petition!. I'm in for that. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 01:42:31 am »

Love seeing that we Brits can still make a cock up of what should be a simple system %) %) %)
The Swedish have a centralised system., everything on the computer here, we not only get a reminder, we get a suggested day and time. If that does not suit, you get on the web and log in (code on your reminder). You can then rebook on a day and time of your choice using the online system which shows you available time slots. You can then choose to have a reminder sent by e-mail the day before the test.
No paper used by the tester, all info goes into an electronic gizmo which then transfers the whole lot to the system. Piece of paper printed out and you pay, currently 300kr, about £25.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:32 am »

the bike mot is £25.00 when i said they sit around waiting for the computer, i meant, few years ago they weren't making enough money out of it, some types took longer than others, so they came up with a time of 30 Min's to do a bike,  my old yamaha used to take 11 Min's, i

Having sat a couple of feet from my bike while he was doing the test, and this is newish bike onlly about 8k miles, he seems to do a thorough job in the 30 minutes, I would think that 11 minutes isn't a proper test,
Now, that might be what some people want, but I prefer a real good look at my bike by a tester not skimping the job.
You pay the same money so it's good test I'm after.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »

Love seeing that we Brits can still make a cock up of what should be a simple system %) %) %)
The Swedish have a centralised system., everything on the computer here, we not only get a reminder, we get a suggested day and time. If that does not suit, you get on the web and log in (code on your reminder). You can then rebook on a day and time of your choice using the online system which shows you available time slots. You can then choose to have a reminder sent by e-mail the day before the test.
No paper used by the tester, all info goes into an electronic gizmo which then transfers the whole lot to the system. Piece of paper printed out and you pay, currently 300kr, about £25.

Any fine if you ignore all this and drive without a test ????

Tony S

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 12:24:32 pm »

Talking of vehicle testing ,my son has just finished a kit car and had to take it to VOSA Manchester to be inspected.He was allowed to drive it on the road to and from the inspection,Now bearing in mind that anyone can attempt to build a kit car whether or not they know what they are doing,it could in fact be lethal. He then had to apply to the DVLA for a set of plates. Before they could be issued the chassis No had  to be checked. For this to be done it had to be taken to VOSA at Preston .Here's the strange part,he wasn't allowed to drive the car there,nor could he tow it ,he was only allowed to transport it with no wheels in contact with the road ,even though it was now safe to be driven on the road.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 01:16:57 pm »

I don't think the Canadians are into testing so much.

When i was over there a few years ago the relatives were surprised that the car emissions were tested annually on the MOT test.

If may have changed now.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.