Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor size...  (Read 2480 times)

das boot

motor size...
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:09 pm »

Will this motor ever move the boat? It's a 550 sized motor, came out of a 12volt power drill I found in a skip (as you do...)

If I use a 12 volt supply and run it direct...what do you reckon?

The boat is my Orion Mouldings Victor class sub...66" long and will be a static dive sub, so it won't need power to push it under. Prop is a brass seven blade scimitar by Raboesh, approx 75mm diameter.

Rich

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: motor size...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:37:11 pm »

That should work though a reduction box, I guess you aiming for around 1500rpm?

andyn

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »

Get a Mark's Loony Motor in it Rich :-)) :-))

(You can fit the reduction gearbox if you like, but where's the fun in that?)

Oh and I notice this boat is road, but in the wrong direction...

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:13:19 pm »

It depends on what motor you've got there Rich. They appear to fit one or two different types to drills, some are wound with heavy guage wire draw a lot of amps but are very high torque, others i have encountered are wound with thinner wire, draw less current but are low on torque. It's difficult to tell without seeing it but if you hold it in yor hand, connect it up and find it has a kick like a mule and spins up immediately, you probably have the higher torque version. Some of those types have an integral fan built into them to keep them cool because they need to dump the waste heat. Mankster is on the money with the gearbox suggestion though. If you just want simplicity and want to go direct drive, you dont really want a prop much bigger than 35-40mm, probably 3 blae types, otherwise the amps will go through the roof!
I have one of the heavy wound types in a rescue speedboat I built, came out of a drill just like yours. It drives a 35mm prop, I'm pumping 14.4 volts down it through two packs of 'c' cells and it's direct drive. It draws around 9Amps but goes like a rocket but of course the batteries peg out after about 10-15mins..
Chris

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:30:20 pm »

I've got a good blower motor, will push that along at a good clip, no gearbox required.

I'll post up a a couple of pictures tomorrow with a 540 for size comparison if you like.

das boot

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:41:47 pm »

Yes please Andy...I'll be stood standing by.

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:28:17 am »

Here you go-

The motor is 12-pole, so very torquey and good for slow revs. With a high pitch prop this will really move water.

das boot

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 11:38:49 am »

Wow...now that is a motor. That would be ideal for the Victor, what car is it from Andy...any ideas?

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:47:25 am »

Think it was an old Renault. Any blower motor from the heater on a car will usually do. The fan motors used for the radiator are usually too thirsty.

das boot

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 11:57:31 am »

Looks like a trip to the scrappies for me then...I did have one from one of the fitters at work, but it didn't work...no wonder he gave it away.

Thanks Andy..

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.