Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr Fids freelance 'huntsman'  (Read 11583 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mr Fids freelance 'huntsman'
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:06 am »

All these hydro's being built is inspiring me, I'm going to try and get one of these Aquacraft Pickleforks on fleabay and put a geared .21 in it...

Do try changing plugs, this thing should be fast O0
Andy have you seen these? his boats are usually good quallity and prices are exellent.
Mart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-c-RC-Scale-Hydroplane-FRP-Racing-Boat-Swifter-Hull_W0QQitemZ290326592365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item4398d03b6d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Mr_Fid

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »

Update

I had a good play down the boat lake yesterday and didn't really get any further.

Basically the engine starts and runs well on idle, i had to change the plug for a hot plug ( Firepower plug 6 (Warm))to allow it to run very rich on idle but at least it starts and continues to run with the glow clip removed.

BUT when i opened it up it went like stink for about 5 seconds then stalled, surgesting it was still to lean on top end. so after several attempts and the best run being a partial throttle run i have given in with the OPS carb.

I have now fitted the CMB carb, which i have had to blank of the remote needle and use the OPS remote (couldn't be bothered to take engine out and modify the rails)

Unfortunately i had to take the radio box lid off and redo the throttle servo link, so i now need to redo the lid. But all being well i should be out for another run on Wednesday Evening.

I will keep you posted. 

ids987

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 02:06:37 pm »

If it was running well on idle, out of the water - with the OPS carb, it was definitely too lean. A carb like that needs to be set so that it won't run below about half throttle out of the water. It will then clear out a bit in the water - due to the loading. I'm sure the CMB carb will make life a lot easier though.
Do check the plug. I won't even use the Model Technics Firepower plugs if they're given to me now. I had several myself, and know of more - where the seal has blown. Some of these even before the boat got in the water. In my case I ran a boat and it stopped suddenly. Brought it in, tried to start it - not much compression. Noticed the +ve pin in the middle of the plug was loose. Replaced it with another Firepower plug, and that one also failed in seconds. As mentioned, I know of others who had the same problem. I'm also pretty sure one of mine put shrapnel in the engine and caused some damage to the Piston / Liner. I since received a few Firepower plugs with some stuff I bought via eBay, and I just binned them - not worth the risk.

Do keep us posted !

Ian

Ramon

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:59 pm »

Glad you mentioned this Ian, I have used MT Firepower with complete success in my control line engines but of course these were 'Hot end' plugs  at much lower rev bands - 8-10,000 rpm. Based on this I was obviously going to go down the same road again but shall take note of your warning. What plugs would you recommend as alternatives?

Hope you are on for tomorrow night Martin.

Regards - Ramon

omra85

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 10:37:29 pm »

I, too have found Firepower worse than useless - tried them all from 3 to 7, the elements are pathetic!
Use Cipolla, Rossi or Novarossi 6 or 7, or McCoy 8 or 9. Good for revs and last a while.
You can get them from Dave or Ian (http://www.iansboats.co.uk/)
If this heat continues - use the higher numbers  :-))

Danny

Ramon

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:27 pm »

Thanks Danny, thats instant info at yer fingertips! and the really great thing about this forum.

Regards - Ramon

Mr_Fid

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 10:10:09 am »

i Used to use firepower plugs in 1/8 cars and always found them ok.

I will let you knnow how i get on with them in a boat engine.

Should be on for tonight for a test run, i will give you a shout (Ramon) when i get home

ids987

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 11:01:27 am »

As usual, Danny's nailed it with the plug advice. For anyone shopping in North London, the Cipolla plugs are also available under the "308 Hobbies" (308 Holloway Rd - formerly HJ Nicholls) brand name. I'm not sure how the prices compare now - been a while since I've been in there. Their heat ratings are slightly different - with 9 being the hottest. A number 6 would probably be about the job for a OPS 67 or 90 with lowish nitro. Pete or Richard in the shop will always give good advice. Both of them have a lot of boating and boatracing experience.
I did hear talk that the seal problem with the Firepower plugs was a bad batch or batches. The problem causing it may have been solved, but personally I don't want to take the risk again. I don't think I kept a seal long enough to make a judgement on the elements, but I'll definitely take Danny's word for it.
You can sometimes pick up the McCoy plugs for relatively good prices on eBay. I was running the MC9s in my CMB45 and 90 for quite a while, but I've now gone back to a hotter plug in the 45. The one I'm using in my 45 at the moment is a "car" plug - either RB or Ninja branded. At the colder end of those generally used in 1/8th cars.

andyn

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

5 Rossi Plugs - £13.50 (if you can get them...)

http://www.nimrifmodels.co.uk/accessories.html

ids987

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:25 pm »

5 Rossi Plugs - £13.50 (if you can get them...)

http://www.nimrifmodels.co.uk/accessories.html

It would be a good deal, but I don't think anything on that website has been updated in the last five++ years......

andyn

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »

Good point, well made ;)

Ramon

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »

A summers evening at the water followed by a fish and chip supper what more could one ask for?

Just to show that Martin had a modicum of success last night here's the proof - not brilliant - just a bit too quick for the photographers reaction! but proof never the less.

And quick it was even on half throttle

Here's power to your throttle finger Martin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.