Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Info about "St. Canute"  (Read 12041 times)

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Info about "St. Canute"
« on: October 15, 2006, 09:23:38 pm »

Hi All
I am trying to collect information and photos on the steam tug St. Canute, which was at the Exeter Maritime Museum from around 1969 until it was sold and sailed to Sweden where it is now restored , but my question is : does anyone know what happend to the documents and stuff  which was attached to the various ships in Exeter, have read somewhere that the ships at the museum were taken to different places when the museum closed
Thanks
Jan in Denmark

Daryl

Re: Info about "St. Canute"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:45 pm »

I beleive everything when to the National Maratime Museum, not sure if the London branch or the Cornwall branch has the St Canute stuff.

Daryl

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:00:53 pm »

exeter had st canute after 1969, i am sure i have been on it in exeter and it was definately after 1969
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:37:38 pm »

I visited the Exeter Maritime Museum in the 1970s. The photos below are scans from the guidebook I bought at the time.

Rick

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:34 pm »

Didn't Billings do a kit of her at some stage - and wasn't she an icebreaker tug, hence the shape of the bow? The Exeter MM was a wonderful place, and a great loss.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 07:57:06 pm »

Quote from same guidebook: "She was originally the St Knud, the harbour tug of Odense, Denmark, where she also performed as the harbour ice-breaker and fire-fighter."

Yes Toby, Exeter was a wonderful museum. Its loss, and the loss of many other "small" museums around the country, serve to illustrate the total lake of interest in our own history and heritage. If only this could be blamed on the government alone, but unfortunately it is evident at all levels of our society.

Rant over

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:09:45 pm »

The problem with Maritime Museums is that once you have visited them and toured the preserved ships there is not much real incentive to make another visit for some time. Consequently, when they open, all the interested people within a reasonable visiting radius come to have a look and few of them feel the need to return. The Museum is then dependent upon visitors from further afield, holidaymakers and tourists, and these are frequently insufficient in numbers to keep the establishment afloat. Even Portsmouth with its unique collection suffers from this. I visit the dockyard frequently but I have seen the Victory, Warrior and Mary Rose on numerous occasions so no longer feel the desire to pay the not insignificant entry fees. Fortunately ships like the Warrior have other sources of income such as hosting events and weddings etc. but their situation is still quite precarious. No easy answers I'm afraid.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 08:22:18 pm »

It's not just Maritime Museums though, Colin. Cars, railways, windmills, the list is endless. All fighting for money to keep afloat (sorry!) against apathy and ignorance, while the "powers that be" are busy funding One-legged Albanian Lesbians' Co-operatives out of the National Lottery. And lets not forget that other great symbol of national pride and achievement - the 2012 Olympics. Now there is a cause to be proud of!

Rick

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 10:10:53 pm »

Quote from same guidebook: "She was originally the St Knud, the harbour tug of Odense, Denmark, where she also performed as the harbour ice-breaker and fire-fighter."

Yes Toby, Exeter was a wonderful museum. Its loss, and the loss of many other "small" museums around the country, serve to illustrate the total lake of interest in our own history and heritage. If only this could be blamed on the government alone, but unfortunately it is evident at all levels of our society.

Rant over

Rick

A snippet of trivia, if you pronounce the name 'Knud' correctly in Danish, it sounds almost exactly like 'Canute' in English. I agree about the Exeter museum, I went years ago, and was able to climb all over St Knud, as well as lots of other interesting old boats. Rick is so right about the demise of small museums generally, but Denmark is full of them, almost every small town still has one, just like it used to be here. Another great thing about that country is the number of old boats, mostly sailing vessels that you can find in almost any small harbour, all still in use and beautifully preserved, the place seems to be full of those too. Perhaps the not very salty water in the Baltic, is kinder to them.

Last time I was over there a couple of years ago, I went on the world's oldest working paddle steamer Hjejlen at Silkeborg, and in the unlikely event that anyone is interested, I can tell them how to pronounce 'Hjejlen' in Danish as well. The vessel was built in 1861, and I think it's equipped with the only working oscillating steam engine still afloat. When they're working, those cylinders look just like a big Cheddar Puffin. Billings used to make a Hjejlen kit, I've still got an unbuilt one on the shelf. Maybe one day, after I've retired.....

And no, I don't work for the Danish Tourist Board, but I did have a Danish Granny and still have lots of relations there.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 12:44:46 am »

Hi Anmo,

This little snippet is for you (and anyone else), courtesy of "Paddleducks"  http://hjejlen.profilfilm2.com/

Its a short film of Hjejlen in action complete with Danish commentary. Enjoy

Rick

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 09:19:37 pm »

Hi Anmo    and all !

Thanks for the information regarding Sct.Knud/Canute  I was hoping for some photos from Fowey Tug Co where “Canute” was used from 59-69, but I will work on that matter later on.

Anmo you are right there are some old sailing ships here in Denmark, unfortunately only few old motor ships are preserved, and I think only 2 steamships are running at the moment, an old tug/icebreaker is about to be fully restored , because the Society around the ship has finally got some money from various places.

I enclose a few pictures of my model of Sct.Knud build in scale 1:25,  there are still some minor details missing, but I hope to get it done this winter.
Jan in Denmark

Captain Povey

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:12:37 am »

Hi Jan, I know this is a very old thread but I am a very old person and a bit dim to boot. I was surfing the other day, the net of course not the waves and came across a Jan on another site who was building a Billings St Canute. I put two and two together (got 5) but remembered there was a Jan on the Mayhem Site. I then did a search and found this thread. You may have already found the links I am about to tell you about so please excuse me if I bore you. As Martin says 'too much time on hands'. There is a fellow called Carsten Hjemmeside who has scratch built a beautiful St Knud that has won prizes. I have his website stored in my browser as Ny side 1 and when I open it it comes up as http://home19.inet.tele.dk/cvj/carstens hjemmeside. He has history and pictures. I have also found a site called stockvk.tk which is the site of the shipyard doing the rebuild since 2001 . It has excellent pictures and even a short video clip which is best viewed on the following link http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w244/Ackebooa_stockvik/?action=view&current=Stockvikteaser.flv. On a more general note type into your browser s/s stovkvik and there is a site which includes the St Canute under ships nostalgia. I hope this is of interest. On this site there are some pictures of my Billings build in the UK St Canute colours. If you are interested I can post the latest pictures which include a crew and fenders. Cheers and good luck. Graham.

Captain Povey

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 01:56:20 pm »

Hi Jan, A small correction. Make Cartens website as follows http://home19.inet.tele.dk/cvj/. Cheers Graham

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:14 pm »

Hi Graham
Thank you very much for your interest and the links, I know of the sites you mention , Carsten is a good friend of mine, and we help each other in finding information regarding Sct.Knud/Canute , our plan is to write a book about the ship, we still need to do some more research and collect pictures, we already have quite a lot, I was lucky to find out that Fowey Harbour Service has a historic page,  telling the story of each ship which have served in their service , among them St.Canute , there are some nice pictures from the 60`s.
Last Tuesday I had a talk with the last Captain, who sailed with Sct.Knud from 54-60, he gave some information about the daily routines and also told me about icebreaking with the ship, during those years.
I have been told that the ship will participate at next years Steam Festival in Vejle, here in Denmark, but this information is not confirmed at this moment, I hope to see the ship there, will be a big thrill to see how the restoration is progressing .
Most people know the ship as Canute, from the Billing kit, and that is ok, but I surely prefer the Danish version as it was from 1931-60.
I enclose a few pictures of Sct.Knud as it was back then and a few of my model.
Regards
Jan

Captain Povey

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 11:50:39 pm »

Hi Jan, Thanks for replying and attaching the pictures I have to agree that the Sct Knud does look better. I saw a very badly done St Canute in my local model shop recently and was tempted to buy it to re do as the Knud. Can you do me a favour and attach those latest pictures to an email so that I can print them off and add them to the file i am compiling. I think  I have been to Vejle some years ago with my son, is it close to Lego land? Nice model by the way it looks very well finished. Cheers Graham O0

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

Hello janjac,

Just a short message to say what a lovely model your Sct.Knud is! I'm currently restoring the Billings version, and like you, I'd be very interested to see some more photos of this characterful tug when it was based in Fowey, Cornwall. Good luck with your search and the forthcoming book (when your book is available you must let us know!).

Best wishes
Simon  :D :D

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 09:28:42 pm »

Hi Simon and all
Thank for the comments on my model, I hope you will have a nice model when you have finished the Billing kit.
I ill post some pictures from The Fowey time and from Denmark also this little story about the task Sct.Knud was doing while serving in Odense:
One of the task that Sct.Knud had to perform was to guide the ships from Odense, out into the open sea through the canal during the dark hours, the canal was long and narrow with 133 buoys which was not lightened , she used the starboard side searchlight to enlightened the bank and the mast searchlight on the buoys, so the following ship could see where to sail.
Income from this task was in the late 50`s around 25,-£ from which the captain received 5% as part of his salary.
Regards Jan

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 09:31:42 pm »

more pictures!

bbdave

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:17:44 am »

I took many pictures of her on a visit to exeter as i was planning to build a model they're mainly details of hatches winches ect i'm sure i could dig them out.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:29 pm »

Dear All who have posted in this section,

Just a short message to say "hello" to you all and to see how the various Canute/Knud things are going? No progress on my model recently but I hope to return to it soon, and when I do I'll post some new photos!

Stay in touch fellas!
Cheers
polobeer  :D :D

Captain Povey

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:56:48 am »

Hello Polobeer, I was wondering how your refurb was coming along. I have been playing with ides of how to hold on and seal the rear hatch just in case I get to Mayhem weekend next year in Wales and the weather is a bit rough. Cheers Graham

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 07:29:11 pm »

Dear Graham,

Good to hear from you again and to learn of your plans for St.Canute! I'd like to go to the Mayhem weekend here in Wales (I live in mid Wales). What date is the event? Perhaps I could bring my St.Canute along? Is anyone one else from the St.Canute/St.Knud Appreciation Society going?! It would be great to meet you all...

All the best
Simon  O0

Captain Povey

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:24 pm »

Dear Simon, I am not sure if a date has been fixed yet for wales but am keeping an eye on the thread on this site which is dealing with it. If I go I will certainly take my St Canute as since last year I have fitted another motor as the one used at Wickstead last year was a bit weak. Jan was of the opinion that the rebuilt St Canute might be in a steam exhibition next year in Denmark, now that would be worth a look! Cheers Graham

myfg

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 10:17:11 pm »

Hello

My name is Marcin , I'm building a Canute model and I have some problems . I have a plan St Canute but do not have any pictures of deck . Front winch is what interests me the most . If you have any picture that you would be happy to share with me  I would be very grateful for your help.

catengineman

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 10:46:25 pm »

Would this help there is a good picture of the f/wd winch.

http://thatravenmagic.com/canute.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.