Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell: North Sea Fishing Trawler 1:142  (Read 10598 times)

Alan Duggan

Revell: North Sea Fishing Trawler 1:142
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »

I started to build this model a few months back but my life got so busy i stopped. Well i have managed to find time to start again.

Just a couple of snaps of what i have so far.

bulerthebishop

Re: Revell: North Sea Fishing Trawler 1:142
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

Are you motorising it, or just for display.  I have had this kit for a couple of years, never made a start on it.  Intended to put motor and RC gear in.  Will get round to it some day :-))

Alan Duggan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »

Just display Brian.

whitesand

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:06:15 pm »

I thought about building one of those, but convert it to a north sea oil-rig stand-by vessel.

But how is the superstructure built up? Is it that old Revell-style, with a joint in the middle of the walls? Like the T2-tanker, or the C3-freighter..

Alan Duggan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »

I thought about building one of those, but convert it to a north sea oil-rig stand-by vessel.

But how is the superstructure built up? Is it that old Revell-style, with a joint in the middle of the walls? Like the T2-tanker, or the C3-freighter..

Im not sure what you mean Whitesand.

Alan Duggan

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »

Built up and painted the wheelhouse. Unfortunately one of the railings that sits ontop of the wheelhouse is missing so i have left this off.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:19:38 pm »

A great opportunity for some weathering here!  By the way stretched sprue is perfect for replacement railings.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Alan Duggan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

A great opportunity for some weathering here!  By the way stretched sprue is perfect for replacement railings.

Thanks, i will look into this.

Alan Duggan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »

Good Evening,

I managed some more time on the model this evening. I got to attach the wheelhouse to the hull, paintup the railings, aft mast, liferafts and the gallast. I also manages to get them fixed into place.

A little more to do aft then it will be forrard to the whaleback.

All comments welcom.

Alan Duggan

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »

Managed an hour on the model last night.

I added the Lifeboat and lifeboat crane. Also the last railing and flagpole to the stern.

Then i added the formast and the whaleback.

Im wondering what would be best to use for the rigging on a model of this size ? Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

swordfish fairey

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:43:32 am »

Hi Alan, you are making a nice job of her. I use elasticated thread called Goldzak for my plastic kits and so long as you don't put too much tension on it, it works a treat.
It is easily tied off, but needs the knots securing with super glue for security. It comes in black and brown.......cheers mate.....:-)).....Smudge

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:19:59 pm »

Back in 2000 I noticed they had re-issued this kit but had renamed the model Arctic Corsair H320. The real Arctic Corsair looks completely different to this model. The trawler that this model is based on is called the Ross Kandahar GY123 which had trawl gallows both sides for her entire fishing career as far as I know

I'm going to build her as the sistership Ross Khartoum GY120 which had her portside gallows removed

The real Arctic Corsair H320 : http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/43675/view/?service=1

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Alan Duggan

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:14:16 pm »

Hello Davie, i totally agree that the mnodel is totally different to the Corsair. I was never going to name her that. Now its good to know what the model was designed on.

Swordfish, where can you get the elasticated thread from ? is it available on the net ?

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 08:18:17 pm »

What is also not clear from photos and the model is that this class of trawlers started life as Steam powered and about 120ft. They were lengthened and converted to Diesel power not long after being built to allow them to fish at Iceland and the Norway Coast. The Ross Khartoum GY120 ended her days on the Blackdog section of Aberdeen Beach when she went ashore in poor weather and was left for over 10 years before being scrapped by Aberdeen Council because she was getting too dangerous for kids to climb on. The Khartoum had been converted into an Oil Rig standby vessel at the time.

This kit could pretty easily be converted to look like the OSRV conversion of the class by removing the boat and crane from the boat deck ( she had a large green round painted area with a large white H in the middle as the helicopter winching area. The gallows had been removed from both sides ( just leave them off on the starboard side ) , the winch was still there , 2 FRC's ( Rigid Inflatables ) with cranes were mounted one either side on the foredeck just aft of the mast ( leave the boom off the mast ).

I did have this kit converted into R/C using a micro ESC onto a small motor and micro-servo with a 2 CH 40Mhz RX. Worked great until it sunk in the ponds at Mussleburgh !!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:05 pm »

Swordfish, where can you get the elasticated thread from ? is it available on the net ?

I believe No Mustang Mark sells the thread in vaious sizes. He's trading as MMB on this site.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.