Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Awesome People in here!  (Read 5156 times)

Anchorboy46

Awesome People in here!
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:25:37 pm »

OK2 Just wanted to go on record as saying that,I have read many posts in here,and I must say that the Brits (or people from all over the UK) are generally truly great people!
 Today,as you know is D-Day. You guys make me glad we came over and worked with the English and Canadians to land in France. You guys have such awesome spirit and passion. Way to go!
 I don't know how to feel about the Americans with all the steaming fuel puck in the papers these days... But I, for one, am glad you guys do what you do...and I'm also glad to be a part of Model Mayhem... I'll climb off my soapbox now... Captain Michael R. Daniels AKA "Anchorboy46".

andyn

Re: Awesome People in here!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:25 pm »

We try our best ;)

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:00 pm »

Dear Daniels,

There are Wets in all Countries, but, believe you me, and though good old GB has gone very very far to weak and soft, be absolutely assured that there are many Brits. who have the true good old fighting Spirit. We will fight though determinedly whatever, and we will win, it's just a matter of getting rid for good of the rubbish in between.

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:45:56 pm »

Dear Michael,

Sorry - should really in the strictest have said Capt.Daniels.

Regards, Bernard

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:19 pm »

Captain Daniels, it's a pleasure to be able to welcome you here and share some of our British spirit with you.  Mind you of course we now pride ourselves in having members from all over the world and so try to think of us all as fellow modellers rather than of varying nationalities but the British spirit is still alive and kicking and gets us through some challenging times.

Welcome aboard sir!  (and that's doing well from a Chief Engineer!)
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

das boot

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:40:07 am »

We will fight them on the beaches....that's if the beach has a clean bill of health and there are no health and safety issues.

Rich

OMK

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 04:44:51 am »

But it's just 04:43 in the early hours of Sunday morning. All the health & safety nutters are still in the land of nod. O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:56:39 am »

But it's just 04:43 in the early hours of Sunday morning. All the health & safety nutters are still in the land of nod. O0

Ha ha. It is lunch time in my part of the world. :-)

And as for H&S, well I think the attitude here is either fatalistic or pragmatic.

I.E. If you fall down a hole you will get a mixture of responses varying from
"Bad luck" to "Why did you do that?"
They will think, but being Chinese will not say, "you idiot" %%

We are glad to hear that you like it here Anchorboy. We try to be helpful most of the time, and are always happy to hear from members anywhere in the world. It all of us together that  make Model boat mayhem what it is :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:06:54 am »

That's because most Chinese are miles better mannered than the average Brit. Mister average Brit will not only push you in the hole, he'll also give you a good kickng while you're in there.... much like they hate to see a fellow Brit doing well for himself. ("What?!!.. you gained your wealth because you got off your butt and actualy earnt it?!!", sort of attitude).
I don't have the heart to ruin Capn' Daniel's preconceptions, but..............

Original coloquialism amended so as not to offend approximately 500 million people.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 08:05:39 am »

That's because most Chinese are miles better mannered than the average Brit. Mister average Brit will not only push you in the hole, he'll also give you a good kickng while you're in there.... much like they hate to see a fellow Brit doing well for himself. ("What?!!.. you gained your wealth because you got off your butt and actualy earnt it?!!", sort of attitude).

PMK

You must take off those rose tinted glassess...  :}

Seriously, I must be living on a different Island.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:04 am »

Welcome aboard Cap'n Daniels.
 I would like to suggest you get yourself settled in now you have toured the mayhem ship. There is no real safety equipment supplied here other than a few officers who will whip you into line should you overstep the mark and who will do their best to protect you when the flak begins ... as it does sometimes. We are a  fairly affable lot, like most crews and do our best to contribute to the smooth running of the ship , there is also plenty to do as it can get a bit busy at times.
Thank you for your kind remarks and compliments and yes, some of us Brits remain alive and kicking and there are still alot of of the good 'uns left sir.
Chris

OMK

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »

"Seriously, I must be living on a different Island."

Nah, just a different county.
Somerset has always been a bit iffy when it comes to things like that. The place has its fair share of snobbery and back stabbers, and would sooner see a man fail because they don't know how to take it if he succeeds, is all.
Apart from that, the county does have ME, so it can't be all bad.  %)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »

Nah, most of us Brits are not like that at all! The more likely observation would be a question. i.e. "Can I give you a hand?", or "As you are down there, is there anything interesting?"....and if the answer is "No", THEN you kick him in the teeth.
Notes from a simple seaman

OMK

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »

True, true. But maybe this is getting a tad misconstrued hither and dither.
For the most part I'm well chuffed to be able to call myself an Englishman. I'm just so grateful that I live in a country where we have basic essentials such as clean running water, edible nosh, electricity, a Mayhem forum and generally decent folk (not including those who partake in The X-Factor, of course). So it's especially nice whenever anyone from foreign shores pays us a compliment; it kinda gives you a nicey-feely warm glow, doesn't it? But I try not to let it go to my head, because, rose-tinted spectacles or not, the cold truth is that we in the UK still have our Godly share of loonies like most countries. I know this for a fact, because most of 'em are alive and well in the Houses of Parliament.

...and one living in Somerset, apparently. A total tosspot for refering to our Chinese cousins as 'Chinks'.
Strange that, because my best schoolmate was of Chinese blood. And he, nor his family seen it as derisive. In fact just the opposite.
Though, I have broad shoulders, and do apologise for any misunderstanding, just the same.

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 06:46:00 pm »

Just in case anyone thinks the Moderators were being overly PC....you should know that a Chinese Member complained.

I am sure your apology has been accepted but maybe we should all think a little more about what we type.

Roger in France

OMK

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

Did he?
Well, in that case, I'm doubly apologetic. No offence meant, it's just that the offending colloquialism for the Chinese people has been used around these parts for as long as I can remember. It's always been used in the affectionate sense, so I'm well shocked to see that also means the opposite.

Note to the member who complained: Sorry, dude.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »

Good man for apologising PMK, :-)) I am sure we all realised you meant absolutely no offence. We have all used that title, as we do with many others but as you rightly say, it's not meant to offend, it's just been the old estabished British verbal shorthand coming into play.
I feel a lot of these issues are the results of the pc brigade who have indoctrinated everyone with their poison and made us all feel rather sensitive about such remarks. I am sure the Chinese gentleman has accepted your apology and realises that no disrespect was intended.
Still haven't forgot that pint one day you know!

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:51 am »

I think you are absolutely wrong about "old established British verbal shorthand". The issue is that we all have and continue to conspire to put down others by using names and descriptions which denigrate them or something about them, or - rather more subtly - put them in a place inferior or dependent on ourselves.

I am not suggesting we do it deliberately and malevolently every time, but we do it casually which by its very nature shows we do not care about doing it.

A small example: To introduce someone by saying, "Hi, I'm Roger and this is my wife" defines the lady as an appendage of yours and not as a person in her own right. But to say, "Hi, I'm Roger and this is Lyn, my wife" says she is a person first and foremost and she is in a relationship with you.

OK, you can dismiss my argument as PC and say I am placing connotations on things that nobody means. In reply I would say we should avoid lazy, sloppy and potentially hurtful language.

I expect the majority of you to disagree with me and call me a wishy-washy, PC, liberal. All I ask of you is that you stop and think carefully about it before jumping on me.

Roger in France

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 08:34:25 am »

Hi Roger, I cetainly won't jump on you or totally agree either. I do understand that cetain expressions can convey the wrong message but more often, it depends on the context in which it is used and how it is said. I don't totally agree with the example of ones introduction of 'my wife' however, but I do think it particularly awful when someone labels his partner as 'THE wife'. Again, it depends on how it is used and also who is using it. I think back to characters I have known, larger than life, happy go lucky types, full of smiles and laughter who have used this expression and no-one, including 'the wife' took exception... it was the norm and they loved each other dearly. Even though I would not use it myself, I would never inflict my views or standards upon them as this was 'their way'.
I could ramble on but won't because we all had a say on this a while back and therefore don't want to open a can of worms up on this thread, it is an interesting debate however. I don't think any of us are particularly right or wrong on the subjet but as this is an open forum, we do have to consider the feelings of others and need to refrain from usage of these terms.
My remarks about the PC brigade are not directed to anyone here I might add, it is necessary to police the forum in this manner and PMK is the better man for publicly apologising and not throwing his toys out of the pram.
Chris   

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:40 am »

As quoted ........"I expect the majority of you to disagree with me and call me a wishy-washy, PC, liberal"....well no Roger......to the contrary....a number of current & former Mayhem members have offered communications via PM to me where distaint...arrogant or and self opinionated ignorance has been displayed in many of the Mayhem member postings ....in OZ we only call a spade a spade  :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

OMK

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 09:04:19 am »

"...but we do it casually which by its very nature shows we do not care about doing it."

Good point. Not caring about how we treat our fellow man is probably the worse human trait of all. Every man, woman, child and animal, each and every one, we all deserve respect and we all deserve to treat each other with the same respect, no quibble. I totally agree that using colloquialisms in the casual sense can be considered as downright rude - ignorant even. But, surely that only applies if the casual sense is spoken with malice, or intent. In the case of this particular thread, it would seem pretty obvious that all colloquialisms used within were only used in the context for which they were meant. i.e: in the affectionate sense -- no malice whatsoever. It really is the easiest thing in the world for any person to immediately start ranting, but, seemingly, very, very difficult for some to understand the difference between the two.
FLJ, for instance, I can call him just about every name under the sun, but, in his case, it is always received with a hearty chuckle. Never once has he questioned my motives, or tried to make me justify myself. I think the reason being that he simply has the gift to see it for what it really is. And, because of that, it is quite easy for me to assume that all fellow humans are of his same attitude. But, every once in a while, I run into a brick wall. There is always someone out there only too willing to think otherwise, always assuming the very wrong end of the stick.
In the three years since I joined this forum I have lost count of the numerous times I've been made to apologise for things said. Think about that for a moment.  Having to apologise to someone just because that someone did not have the good sense to understand the true context. In some eyes, apologising for a wrong which you had not committed goes above the call of duty. Me, I call it keeping in line with forum etiquette. But you reach a point where you get sick and tired of apologising for, or having to justify your actions.
So where does it go from here?
Does one live a lie, becoming a person which they aren't in order to keep the whiners from whining? Or does one live the true and honest way, but risk being banned from the forum?

It's too heavy. Let's just lighten up, be what we are meant to be. If we can't do each other a good favour then let's not do each other a bad one. And for Gawd's sakes, puhleeeese quit making me justify myself. You've known me long enough by now surely to realise I'm not out to deliberately cause agro.

By the way, some time ago Martin berated me for my use of the word ''foreign''. A good friend of mine, 'foreign' Patel, he insisted we all call him that name, such was his character. After I explained the situation to Martin no more was said. So if the boss can see that I'm not out to cause grief, then why can't everyone else? Let's just build boats - and bridges. No need for all this heavy jive.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:58 am »

That's because most Chinese are miles better mannered than the average Brit. ....

Hi PMK

I think the intent of your message is clear. To praise the 1.3 billion people of Chinese descent for their good manners.

It is clear no mallice was intended, and any offence was accidental.
For which you have apologised, and thank you for doing so.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:30 am »

....in OZ we only call a spade a spade  :-)) ....Derek
Now that should upset our Pommie PC brigade Derek.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 12:36:45 pm »

Hi all....yes a proud direct decendent O0 of convict stock exported in the First Fleet to OZ.....on board HMS Scarborough....the transcripts from ye Olde Bailey accompanied the fleet...so at least we know our fore bears crimes & names.......Derek   {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Roger in France

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 01:16:57 pm »

You Mayhemers constantly wrong foot me! There was I expecting explosions and we get reasoned debate! Thanks folk.

I do think we must always remember that, no matter how friendly we are and how informal in this Forum, there is a vast difference between the spoken word and the same words put into writing and published for anyone to read.

I agree that few of us are malicious. But I do think some of us can be careless. I have never found the argument, "Oh, stop fussing it's just my way", at all impressive.

I am aware that I tend to write rather formally but that is my background and training, it helps to avoid ambiguity and misunderstanding. I also spell check (I have to because I cannot spell)and preview every message I write, something we should all do as it allows time to reflect before pressing the "Send" button. I do not think we need to be so uptight as to discard spontaneity but I do think we owe it to ourselves and others to remember the difference between speech and writing.

Roger in France
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.