Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Awesome People in here!  (Read 5154 times)

OMK

Re: Awesome People in here!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »

To reiterate a wonderful piece from Dougal 99:

"The wriiten word is not as flexible as the spoken intonation."

I guess that once we have that sort of knowledge buried well within our cranium, the rest is just plain sailing.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 04:45:55 pm »

On the subject of wives, a lot of us have now reduced them to ' SWMBO'. Where does this fit in the respect stakes? I bet there are a lot of wives who look in or even participate on this forum, Does this reduce or demean them, despite the affection we obviously have for them. How would a 'newbie' married female, looking in here, feel about the males who refer to wives in this manner and would she feel demeaned by it?
We mostly all use the term and we all know what it means and that we honestly mean no disrespect by it, but given the logic applied by the pc brigade, would this be frowned upon?
Just throwing it out there men, as I said, it makes for interesting debate and I am being the devils advocate here as I hate the pc brigade as you know.
 ( No Roger, not aimed in your direction)

OMK

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »

"...but given the logic applied by the pc brigade, would this be frowned upon?"

Most probably. But given that you're obviously the sort of chap who considers his lady's wellbeing before his own, then I'd say you got nuttin' to worry about.
My ex, just after we got together, she dragged me along on one her shopping sprees one day. After ten minutes I was bored witless. "Come on, Flooze - let's get the hell outta this place!". Her face said it all. "You called me a floozy!". "No I didn't. I said Flooze". Which didn't bode well at all.
Then one day, just before she died, she suddenly said: "Why don't you call me Flooze any more?".
What?!!
You just can't win, so don't bust a gut trying.
Stay with the endearing stuff which they like and you'll forever be in their good books. Sugar/Sugar Lips/Honey/Doris usually works. Even addressing her by her proper name sometimes works. Me personally, I can't stand that 'SWMBO' malarkey. Waaaay too cheesy. But I don't think you have anything to fret about where the PC mob are concerned.

andyn

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »

She Who Must Be Obeyed...

Let's look in to that shall we...

It means someone who must be obeyed, and put quite simply, she must be obeyed so that you're not chucked out into the street...

Roger in France

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 06:44:11 pm »

I really do appreciate the tone in which this discussion is taking place. Sheerline, I know you are not getting at me and please be assured, although I am a liberal I am not unduly sensitive!

SWMBO has, of course, a very honourable and noble ancestry. The late John Mortimer coined it for Rumpole to use about his wife. In his original books I think she never appeared, rather like the wife of Capt. Mainwaring (or is it Mannering?) in "Dad's Army". I rather think the sense of a looming presence, unseen and to be feared was rather effective.

Lyn lives with me and is married to me and suffers incredibly! I just call her "Lyn" and such endearments as are appropriate.

I just love your story, PMK. You cannot win with women, I long since gave up trying. There is no truer saying than, "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus". however, after many years of marriage I find the occasional deaf ear and a highly noncommittal "Uh" to be very useful !

Incidentally, next week I shall be attending my in-laws 68th wedding anniversary. If such a period was given to murderers it would be deemed inhuman treatment!

Roger in France

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »

My wife Carol and I enjoy the freedom of good banter, even to the point of insulting one another. To other people's ears, it must sound as though we hate and disrespect each other as we hurl insults back and forth. For example, she is doing something upstairs:
 I say "Where's the camera"?...silence, I say it again a bit louder and get ...
"I  didn't hear you, what did you say"?
 I will yell back "For goodness sake you cloth eared bint, have you gone ruddy deaf or wot , where's the ruddy camera"?
I don't know, you had it last!
No I didn't you had it last week when we went out in the car!
The camera is flat!
You just said you didn't know where it was!
Well I think it is flat anyway.
I'm not asking you if it's flat, I want to know where it is.
You will need to charge it up.
I will if you can tell me where it is.
I don't know.
But you usally leave it on the chair up there in the bedroom, isn't it there?
I don't know.
Well is there any faint possibility you could just turn your head slightly and look please, you are in there after all.
.......Silence...
Well......WELL??
I don't know.
Now life is too short to wait around whilst she thinks about it so, exasperated I sigh heavily and tear up the stairs and into the room.
The camera is half hidden by some bit of clothing but is easily spotted on the chair. Grabbing it, I wave it at her... "Wots this then, you said you didn't know where it was"
I didn't!
You could have looked when I asked.
All you had to do was come and see for yourself!
For goodness sake woman, my hair was dark when i started this conversation, wots up, you thick or summat or just plain deaf or blind or wot!!
AAAh shaddup!
You shaddup!
Dopey bint.!!
Miserable ole git!
Knickers to you
Up yors!!
Kiss me wench!
Fancy a cup of tea darling.
Yeah, good idea.
er em, what did you do with the charger?
I dunno!
Right... forget it, make the ruddy tea Wench, I will do it myself!

Now, all this to-ing and fro-ing and insulting each other is just  pure banter and God help any poor soul within earshot. Sometimes we forget we have company and their faces are a picture when i get downstairs and find them sitting there in silence.

We have now joined the modern trend so commonly found in the youth of today and sometimes, when the 'argument' doesn't go someones way it will be responded to with  ... WOTEVAUGH or MINGAAR!
Sometimes we behave like kids instead of two old gits!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:44 am »

I have just returned from a few days away, and have read through this thread, which I find quite fascinating. It's strange how some common terms for different nationalities have come to be regarded as offensive. Here in Australia, Pakistanis are usually called Pakis, even in the newspapers, simply because 'foreign' is a contraction of Pakistani. I am not aware of visiting members of the Pakistan cricket team being offended by this practice. We Australians are referred to, and call ourselves, Aussies - where is the difference?

I do realise that 'foreign' can be an offensive term in Britain, but I can assure you all that Aussies mean no disrespect to people of Pakistan by calling them Pakis. Americans are often called Yanks, English people are called Pommies, at least, they are in Australia, and I've never been reprimanded by a Pom for so doing. New Zealanders are Kiwis, Canadians can be called Canucks (so I'm told) and the list goes on.

As I said, fascinating.

Peter.

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:01 am »

In the same vein as sheerline's post...

Some years ago, Carol and I were in a supermarket queue with her mother, who is sadly no longer with us.

Carol's mum wanted to pay for our purchases, and I was adamant that I would pay.  In the end, I said to her in a loud voice  "If you don't put your purse away and behave yourself, I'll take you straight back to the care home."

Mum, who had a fabulous sense of humour played along, with bottom lip quivering, and tears welling up in her eyes pleaded with me not to.

The checkout operator's face was a picture!

Malc

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 11:36:57 am »

Hi Malcolm, I have a similar story. My wife Carol and my Mum who is no longer with us shared a great sense of humour.
Again in the checkout queue's :

Carol:  If you don't let me pay for this and play me up again, I will have to give you another good slap!
Mum:  Oh, not again... and please not in the face this time!

They would end up in uncontrollable fits of laughter which would result in Mum propped up against something with her legs crossed and tears rolling down her face.
Wonderful moments indeed.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:11 pm »

Don't understand how the "T" has got dropped out.  SWTSMBO?  Must be a Yorkshire thing>

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 02:44:01 pm »

.a number of current & former Mayhem members have offered communications via PM to me where distaint...arrogant or and self opinionated ignorance has been displayed in many of the Mayhem member postings ....in OZ we only call a spade a spade  :-)) ....Derek
Really Derek ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdM3N_GRo1s
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »

Really Derek ?

{-) {-) {-) Perhaps it was his first speech in Parliament, Richard  :embarrassed: . I have almost stopped laughing  O0

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.